Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Climate change.

Climate change.

Old Sep 18th 2020, 4:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate change.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Nothing like a climate change skeptic as National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s deputy assistant secretary of commerce for environmental observation and prediction.

https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-pr...192631935.html
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
FFS. Apparently there's no proof we are undergoing man-made climate change.
Money Trumping (not sic) the planet and all its lifeforms. It's everywhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...t-happens-next
Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I believe what you are looking at there is the result of a lot of international discussions between US and Mexico. First of all, the Colorado river flows from the US into Mexico, and the US has an obligation to deliver a certain amount of water to Mexico; more specifically, the US can't drain the river dry by the time it reaches the border. So there is a 'quota' that must reach Mexico. But over the years, because of the way the water is used, the water that reaches Mexico was 'disgusting' and unusable ... it's full of pesticides and pollution. This happens because fresh water is taken out of the Colorado by all the massive farms in the region, then as that water is used to irrigate the land, it becomes saturated with pesticides/pollutants and then drains right back into the river to head on downstream.

Mexico sued the US about this some time ago, and the end result was a massive 'water cleaning' plant built in Yuma at phenomenal expense. This is referred to as a 'desalting plant', but instead of taking sea-water and turning it into drinking water, it takes heavily polluted colorado river water and turns it into less polluted water. Apparently, this multi-billion dollar plant has only run twice since it was completed in the 90s!

This is the 'government friendly' account of the plant - https://www.usbr.gov/lc/phoenix/AZ10.../topstory.html .

The agreement between Mexico and the US was referred to as the "Permanent and Definitive Solution to the International Problem of the Salinity of the Colorado River,” President Richard Nixon’s administration agreed to a limit on how salty water would be at when delivered at the U.S.-Mexico border. "The “Permanent and Definitive Solution” also called for the creation of a treatment facility along the Colorado River that could clean up water from farms along the Gila River in southern Arizona, within the Wellton-Mohawk Irrigation and Drainage District. Completed in 1992, the Yuma Desalting Plant became that treatment facility dreamed up in the 1970s."

Also, apparently, a side effect of all this was a weird wetland that was created by salty runoff in Mexico ...
https://www.kunc.org/environment/201...-oasis-survive
Old Sep 18th 2020, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

There was a program on bbc world service last night,how climate change is changing the landscape in siberia,where rising temperatures are affecting the land because the permafrost is melting.And releasing methane into the atmosphere.A very interesting program i can not remember what it was called sorry.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:25 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's almost impossible to tell any more what's satire and what isn't.
Speaking of satire. Bloody Raccoon Resistance Marxist Antifarsonists.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-care-workshop
Old Sep 18th 2020, 6:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Definitely a few snorts there.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 9:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Definitely a few snorts there.
Oh yeah. Snort mecca.
Old Sep 19th 2020, 1:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

They get hooked.
Made me chuckle and no one else commented.
Old Sep 19th 2020, 1:28 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Made me chuckle and no one else commented.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm too subtle.
Old Sep 20th 2020, 7:39 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I wonder if I'm too subtle.
I noticed - very good.
Old Sep 20th 2020, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

I did notice but did not comment as i do not know what was ment.Now i'm a changed eck so to speak
Old Dec 27th 2020, 4:52 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Tens of thousands of birds in the southwestern US dead from starvation that is likely due to climate change.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...box=1608983730
Are we ever going to take this seriously, greedy, destructive species that we are?
Old Dec 27th 2020, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Humans certainly are. It annoys me when people and fisherman blame the seals for the salmon shortages, yeah its all the seals and sea lions fault, can't possibly be the fault of humans.

Don't even get me started on shark fin soup, and the damage is does.

Tens of thousands of birds in the southwestern US dead from starvation that is likely due to climate change.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...box=1608983730
Are we ever going to take this seriously, greedy, destructive species that we are?
Old Dec 28th 2020, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Humans certainly are. It annoys me when people and fisherman blame the seals for the salmon shortages, yeah its all the seals and sea lions fault, can't possibly be the fault of humans.

Don't even get me started on shark fin soup, and the damage is does.
I'd never thought about all those poor seals drowning in shark fin soup...
Old Dec 28th 2020, 5:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
I'd never thought about all those poor seals drowning in shark fin soup...

Old Dec 28th 2020, 6:51 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Now there's a coincidence. I was looking for that one a few days ago. My memory was the frog was actually in an alley outside the restaurant but I see this one was originally in National Lampoon magazine and that's where I remember it from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.