Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Church of England, back to the Dark Ages?

Church of England, back to the Dark Ages?

Old Jan 27th 2020, 12:11 pm
Unedicated dropout

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Church of England, back to the Dark Ages?

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
When were the Dark Ages, anyway?

No doubt this is an Anglocentric view, but I’d always thought it meant from the fall of Rome till the Normans - so about 400 CE to 1100.

But it seems that some people mean from the fall of Rome till the renaissance! So including all of the Middle Ages, including all that good stuff like the twelve century industrial revolution, jousting, troubadours, etc.

Which is it?

The latter, just because there were some fun things happening doesn't mean it wasn't. Basically speaking, man was stuck in the Dark Ages until he'd figured out how to paint nice boobies.....

EDIT:On canvas, that is, we're not talking about the 1960's.

Last edited by zzrmark; Jan 27th 2020 at 12:14 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 12:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
The latter, just because there were some fun things happening doesn't mean it wasn't. Basically speaking, man was stuck in the Dark Ages until he'd figured out how to paint nice boobies.....

EDIT:On canvas, that is, we're not talking about the 1960's.
Interesting. I hadn't heard the ornithological interpretation before.

Old Jan 27th 2020, 4:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m now told by a couple of historians I know, that the “Dark Ages” are names for the period of research interest of Ken Dark, at Reading University. 1st millennium CE.
https://www.reading.ac.uk/economics/.../k-r-dark.aspx
Old Jan 27th 2020, 5:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I’m now told by a couple of historians I know, that the “Dark Ages” are names for the period of research interest of Ken Dark, at Reading University. 1st millennium CE.
https://www.reading.ac.uk/economics/.../k-r-dark.aspx

That seems perfectly reasonable.