Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Call to Prayer

Call to Prayer

Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:16 pm
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all
Default Call to Prayer

Some advice if you please:-

Do you ever get used to the 4.30am alarm call or does it wake you up every morning? Just realised after first night in villa I have one mosque right outside and another 500 yards down the road.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Call to Prayer

Originally Posted by abbey08 View Post

Do you ever get used to the 4.30am alarm call or does it wake you up every morning? Just realised after first night in villa I have one mosque right outside and another 500 yards down the road.
lol, you'll get used to it.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, when you return to Britain, you will think "HUH?" where's it gone?
It is strange at first, but you do get used to it...I still miss it !
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:28 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll always hear it and like others said you get used to it, but to be honest I would never move in next to a mosque. That's just asking for it...Plus during Ramadan they usually turn up the volume even further...
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

yrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really nice

I always kind of enjoyed it! Especially the maghreb (sunset) prayer, it's very musical rather than just guttural chanting. But everyone's right, you definitely get used to it.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

They're all slightly different too, come are quick nice, whilst others are quite disheartening.

I work evenings so I go to be around 4 anyway so it doesn't wake me up.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Fahd will become famous soon enoughFahd will become famous soon enough

try to answer it .
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:58 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khitan004 View Post
They're all slightly different too, come are quick nice, whilst others are quite disheartening.

I work evenings so I go to be around 4 anyway so it doesn't wake me up.
i lived next to a mosque for a couple of months when i first arrived in saudi. the guy doing the azaan couldn't sing to save his life. it was just awful. and he used to stop to cough...i think he must have regurgitated a lung or something cause suddenly he was replaced..
Old Oct 10th 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
try to answer it .
I'm quite happy being an infidel heathen. It's too much fun.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

I'm quite happy being an infidel heathen. It's too much fun.
LOL , that is your own decision. but why don`t you read about it?? if it is true you will save your soul, if it is not nothing will happen you can continue as infidel as you said .
Old Oct 10th 2011, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

I've got a english language Qur'an. Not with me as I don't want to be caught with a non-arabic language version. It's currently on top of my desk in my attic study (highest it can be in my house).

Whilst I don't believe in eternal life/afterlife and all-benevolent supreme being I appreciate the qualities religion instills in people. I would honestly say to most christians from the west that I am more christian than they are despite not believing their doctrine. I do however agree with Karl Marx's view that religion is the opiate of the masses and despise man's use of religion to perpetuate oppression. Surely those that abuse His name to promote their own power are the truest of the most unholy? Most religions believe that evil comes from man, I chose to believe that good doesn't have to come from God.

I feel as though I've opened up a big can o'worms.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

I've got an english language Qur'an.
Before you jump on my grammar.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

I've got a english language Qur'an. Not with me as I don't want to be caught with a non-arabic language version. It's currently on top of my desk in my attic study (highest it can be in my house).

Whilst I don't believe in eternal life/afterlife and all-benevolent supreme being I appreciate the qualities religion instills in people. I would honestly say to most christians from the west that I am more christian than they are despite not believing their doctrine. I do however agree with Karl Marx's view that religion is the opiate of the masses and despise man's use of religion to perpetuate oppression. Surely those that abuse His name to promote their own power are the truest of the most unholy? Most religions believe that evil comes from man, I chose to believe that good doesn't have to come from God.

I feel as though I've opened up a big can o'worms.
well , first of all having a copy of Qur'an this is a good sign . Allah`s message has been delivered .

but believing or not this is something else . my way in believing is like building a tower if you build the bases strong enough the tower will be strong and you can adjust your self with obstacles that you will face when you build .and obviously the base here is are you believe in God or not? and that is something we have to think about it deeply by monitoring our self , the whole life, the universe etc . and ask the big question who made all of this who is my creator ??

and believe or not all question you have in your mind is answered clearly in Quran ..or at least my questions .

However Marx`s view about religions is so narrow with "the first life" and he forgot that religions are all about "the after death life " .

Last edited by Fahd; Oct 10th 2011 at 10:39 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Marx's view is to do with the 'do as I say and you'll be rewarded, go against me and you'll be punished' aspect. In reality, this threat is hollow because there is no afterlife but the proletariat eats it up in fear of the possibility of it maybe being correct. Great tool of populace control. Different populace controls (monotheistic religions) have vaguely the same concept of 'do this or else'. I figured it was a load of rubbish since this is exactly the same psychological tool used by parents using the 'Santa Clause' effect. That and every single religion throughout history believing themselves to be right and everybody else to be wrong, leading to killing and genocide. Surely somebody has to be wrong, could it be, I don't know, EVERYONE (George Carlin RIP).

If we dropped the restrictive labels of religious indentity, and all became a single entity: human, wouldn't that leave us with but one purpose here on Earth? To truly seek the nature of the Universe and answer the questions of what we are going to do with life, rather than squabble over convaluted stories of our creation?

As a physicist who understands the beauty and complexity of the universe, if a supreme being created the mechanations and processes that govern everything around us, He (or She) (or It) would definitely not be interested in stopping women driving, or not eating meat on a certain day, or killing those who do not agree.

I seek the truth, I refuse to be given it.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." -- Galileo Galilei
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:31 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Call to Prayer

We tell each other about the world in stories of different types.

Sometimes multiple stories explain the same event at different depths for different levels of understanding and teaching (for example through different religious disciples or atomic theory using traditional models). Some people cling onto the same story and will only listen to that repeatedly for reassurance; others welcome new stories that allow them to understand the same thing as the old stories in greater depths or appreciate new angles.

Thousands of years of stories:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.