Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Brexit prediction thread.

Brexit prediction thread.

Old Jun 7th 2019, 5:47 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit prediction thread.

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
What, exactly, does one mean by "status quo"?
"Whatever you want".
Old Jun 7th 2019, 5:59 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

What, exactly, does one mean by "status quo"? And why is it something that needs to be "changed"?

Because, well, from where I sit, everything changes all the time. And I suspect like Brexit, the "status quo" actually means something different to everybody.

So what "status quo" are you referring to, and how must it be "changed"? And why should everyone have to accept your definition of what that means and any consequences of changing it?
I'm not asking anybody to accept my definition of anything you need to chill out a bit. Labour or tory, both sides of the same coin, the way I see it we need to change the coin.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 6:01 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
"Whatever you want".

Boom Tish
Old Jun 7th 2019, 6:13 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
I'm not asking anybody to accept my definition of anything you need to chill out a bit. Labour or tory, both sides of the same coin, the way I see it we need to change the coin.
Ok, so your definition is "changing the two party system" (?). Well, it seems that's happening. Now we have the lib dems and Brexit party in the lead.

But that too will change. Especially post-brexit when Brexit becomes irrelevant.

Meanwhile... It seems some things never change;

Mystery as ‘Russian woman posing as local resident’ targets newspapers with pro-Brexit letters in ‘disinformation campaign’

Last edited by amideislas; Jun 7th 2019 at 6:26 am.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 6:58 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

While we're on the subject of definitions - purely in the interests of clarity in case of future claims - what exactly do you mean by :
Brexit won't happen...
You mean the whole thing called off and we stay exactly as we are? (that's the only thing I'd count as Brexit not happening).

Or do you include significant changes that leave us in a very different relationship outside the EU like Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein (or farther out than that even)?
Old Jun 7th 2019, 7:05 am
idealist

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

You mean the whole thing called off and we stay exactly as we are? (that's the only thing I'd count as Brexit not happening).
Yes that's exactly what I mean did you have a preconceived idea what you thought I meant?

Last edited by stevenglish1; Jun 7th 2019 at 7:13 am.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 7:10 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Yes yes that's exactly what I mean did you have a preconceived idea what you thought I meant?
Probably not as he had to ask.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 7:17 am
idealist

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Probably not as he had to ask.
Oh of course the question wasn't loaded in the slightest.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 7:34 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't a loaded question.

Different people have different interpretation of what Brexit means. There are any number who are not going to accept a close future relationship, such as Norway etc have, as Brexit. I couldn't remember for sure but had a feeling you have used the term BRINO in a manner that suggested you were amongst them.

It was only a matter of clearing up exactly what your prediction is.

I'm fairly certain that eg paulry and Cape Blue will claim Brexit hasn't happened if we do end up with an EEA type arrangement of any sort (which is definitely Brexit and of the most likely kind, in my opinion).
Old Jun 7th 2019, 8:10 am
FreeThinker

Oh of course the question wasn't loaded in the slightest.
Correct, it wasn't.

You're a bit paranoid.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 8:39 am
idealist

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
It wasn't a loaded question.

Different people have different interpretation of what Brexit means. There are any number who are not going to accept a close future relationship, such as Norway etc have, as Brexit. I couldn't remember for sure but had a feeling you have used the term BRINO in a manner that suggested you were amongst them.

It was only a matter of clearing up exactly what your prediction is.

I'm fairly certain that eg paulry and Cape Blue will claim Brexit hasn't happened if we do end up with an EEA type arrangement of any sort (which is definitely Brexit and of the most likely kind, in my opinion).
I've not really expressed an opinion on the whole subject, more just on single issues and arguments. I don't wholly agree with leavers, anymore than I wholly agree with remainders, there has been an abundance of bullshit from both camps as evidenced on this forum.

So no I don't believe it will happen, and I also believe that the remain camp will simply shrug their shoulders and move on, completely oblivious to the festering resentment among leavers, right up until it rears its head again.

If everyone was as intelligent as they purported on here, then more people would be willing to do the hard yards and seek out the root cause instead of sniping at people who've reached different conclusions. The bigger picture here, bigger than brexit could hope to be, is that the British public have little or no faith or trust in the ruling classes or the democracy we hold so dear. Britain is ****ed in or out now as the divisions are just too deep. Funnily enough no one wants to take any responsibility for that either.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:07 am
FreeThinker

I've not really expressed an opinion on the whole subject, more just on single issues and arguments. I don't wholly agree with leavers, anymore than I wholly agree with remainders, there has been an abundance of bullshit from both camps as evidenced on this forum.

So no I don't believe it will happen, and I also believe that the remain camp will simply shrug their shoulders and move on, completely oblivious to the festering resentment among leavers, right up until it rears its head again.

If everyone was as intelligent as they purported on here, then more people would be willing to do the hard yards and seek out the root cause instead of sniping at people who've reached different conclusions. The bigger picture here, bigger than brexit could hope to be, is that the British public have little or no faith or trust in the ruling classes or the democracy we hold so dear. Britain is ****ed in or out now as the divisions are just too deep. Funnily enough no one wants to take any responsibility for that either.
That is very reasonable and I agree.

But it has very little to do with the EU and leaving it won't solve anything.

Many leavers would also agree. These acknowledge that they voted to leave in the referendum just to blindly strike out and the EU happened to be in the way.

Unfortunately remaining will also not solve the current problems and I think that many remainers realise that.

I have no idea what should be done.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:08 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

We know the root causes. Those who [are led to] blame the EU deny it. That's the whole problem.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:16 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

We know the root causes. Those who [are led to] blame the EU deny it. That's the whole problem.
You can continue kidding yourself of your own superiority if you like, but most of us saw through that BS ages ago.

The fundamental problem has always been both sides in this debate. Nobody comes out of this squeaky clean. No good or bad and no black or white - it's all just a murky shade of grey, and we're all tainted by it.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:22 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
You can continue kidding yourself of your own superiority if you like, but most of us saw through that BS ages ago.

The fundamental problem has always been both sides in this debate. Nobody comes out of this squeaky clean. No good or bad and no black or white - it's all just a murky shade of grey, and we're all tainted by it.
The fundamental problem is not 'both sides in this debate' in fact I don't really know what you mean by that.

I don't know what the fundamental problem is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.