Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Brexit Party, how long will it last ?

Brexit Party, how long will it last ?

Old Apr 30th 2019, 5:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit Party, how long will it last ?

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
But my favourite song that time was supplied from the unlikely source of Fred Wedlock, mostly known as a comedy folksinger - but seems to sum up the black humour of such a crusade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrc53aufoQ8
Bloody hell. I used to have that LP. I have absolutely no recollection of that track

Fred was at South Bristol Tech College at some point when I was there on day release 1974-76.

Old Apr 30th 2019, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Bloody hell. I used to have that LP. I have absolutely no recollection of that track

Fred was at South Bristol Tech College at some point when I was there on day release 1974-76.
Off-piste again, but.....I re-bought the double CD a few years back having met Fred a few times in the early days.
His comedy songs came out of the fact he loved folk songs, but got labelled as a yokel if he stuck to local stuff and said "I c'nardly sing your "Garlic" down St.Paul's, my babber" (or words to that effect) - but he could really play guitar and keep a room happy.

It's a shame he became best known for "The Oldest Swinger in Town", because his earlier stuff was brilliant - if Bristol-focused.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Ah, the loneliness getting to you is it?

Anyway, I thought your preferred terms were "no deal"? Perhaps you can elucidate.
Yes Buttercup, if it's either May's treaty disguised as a deal and no treaty/deal then I'll have no deal please. But of course Mays failure to get her treaty through has made the anti-democrats in her party think they can cheat us into staying in the EU and they could just succeed in the short term but the price will be the EU will be toppled sooner from within.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
It's a pity you don't understand the connection between the events of the first half of the 20th century & the shape of modern Europe.
It's a pity you don't understand the differences between what people voted for in the 1975 referendum and what we have now.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at it from afar they is no good solution or clear solution, whatever happens.

Let us say for argument that the UK stays, there will a be sizable, say half of voters and their representatives who will be seriously pissed, and they will have plenty of allies from other EU countries.

Now I would hope we can agree that there is a recession coming, the EU has numerous issues it seems unable to deal with now, the impression one gets is constant fire fighting. Add it all up and what will happen?
Old Apr 30th 2019, 7:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
...he could really play guitar and keep a room happy.

It's a shame he became best known for "The Oldest Swinger in Town", because his earlier stuff was brilliant - if Bristol-focused.
I saw him as one of the support acts at, I think, A Christmas night at Bristol Locarno. Probably with Stackridge.

I bought the LP on the strength of that, so, yes.

Didn't like Oldest Swinger at all.

Finest universal cleanser known.

Old Apr 30th 2019, 7:41 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Yes Buttercup, if it's either May's treaty disguised as a deal and no treaty/deal then I'll have no deal please. But of course Mays failure to get her treaty through has made the anti-democrats in her party think they can cheat us into staying in the EU and they could just succeed in the short term but the price will be the EU will be toppled sooner from within.
You still haven't gone any further toward explaining exactly how electing a few Eurosceptic MEPs achieves this toppling from within.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 7:52 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
You still haven't gone any further toward explaining exactly how electing a few Eurosceptic MEPs achieves this toppling from within.
Especially since the poor UK has been powerless to control its own destiny or affect the direction of the EU as a member. Apparently.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 8:33 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

The WA sends the UK to Brexit, done deal, just without the shock of "no deal".

I can understand why leavers don't like it; it puts the onus on the UK to figure out how to deal with NI (yes, that's quite inconvenient, yet entirely the UK's responsibility). Remainers don't like it because it settles Brexit. Once agreed, Brexit is a done deal. No going back. Leavers win.

​​​​​​But I still can't fathom how "no deal" could be remotely construed as "favourable". Unless either it's just dogma, or cluelessness.

Last edited by amideislas; Apr 30th 2019 at 8:36 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 8:41 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
​​​​​​But I still can't fathom how "no deal" could be remotely construed as "favourable". Unless either it's just dogma, or cluelessness.
I'll plump for both, especially in the case of the bloke who sits at the arse end of the world bashing out nonsense about how "we" are going to do x, y or z as though he's personally involved in doing something.

Funny, he didn't even manage to organise himself into getting registered properly to vote from abroad, so to date his practical contribution to the cause he holds so dear has been precisely zero

Old Apr 30th 2019, 8:43 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you must not get the news in Aus.
The Euroscpeptics have not been doing that well in European elections have they.
​​​​​
Old May 1st 2019, 1:21 am
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Very unlikely. The EU is stronger together as a union of countries, each of which has a say in the EU's future.

Contrast that with the union of 3 minor UK countries who will always be outvoted in Parliament by the larger 4th.
Old May 1st 2019, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure the Greeks, Italians, Poles, Hungarians etc would agree.
Old May 1st 2019, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Not sure the Greeks, Italians, Poles, Hungarians etc would agree.
Pretty sure you're wrong - you should change the source of your info, because it's seriously skewed.
Brexit has strengthened the remaining EU members, they have shown that, regardless of their erstwhile relationship with the UK, they can act as a community to protect the core values of the union. The parties formerly advocating leaving the union have gone very, very quiet.
I just had a vision of Napoleon III's advisers saying "This Germany thing will never last! The beery Bavarians will never accept those priggish Prussians - and as for the Saxons....."
Old May 1st 2019, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well the German thing lasted as long as 1945.

And most of Prussia is now Poland or Russia.

So they had a point.

As the EU has its origins in the regular visit of Germans then I can see the correlation.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.