Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Brexit changes

Brexit changes

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 5:21 pm
  #1891  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 36,484
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
...why the UK doesn't export to countries like Kenya, Mongolia and Antigua, I have a little surprise for you. We do. To add a little spice to that, in Kenya we have over 100 British investment companies.
Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Oh, ok then. Let's see, aside from pesky foreigners, wasn't the fact that the UK couldn't trade with the rest of the world one of the reasons for Brexit? Apparently some EU law prevented the UK specifically from trading with the rest of the world?
Yeah I did wonder about how the Brexiter claim that the UK was apparently prevented from trading elsewhere.

I was going to mention it but that would have suggested there was something untrue in the Brexiter claim. Surely not.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 5:45 pm
  #1892  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,198
la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
According to yahoo/bloomberg

Any reason you didn't mention the down side to your good news?
This refers to EU share trading only.

Have you heard of the trading platform Turquoise? The London Stock Exchange Group launched its new pan-European platform Turquoise in Amsterdam as part of its Brexit contingency plans. The LSEG said the hub was set up to avoid disruption to its EU customers, who face having to trade euro-denominated shares inside the bloc from Jan.

The article you post from that states what it does but doesn't make it clear that this activity doers not mean that business is moving to Amsterdam. More trades are being booked within the EU because EU regulators demand it. More importantly, the value in the trade for an economy remains in London - in the sense that activities such as settlement, clearing and risk management are still carried out here.

Put simply, a bloke is still pushing a button in London, that leads to a trade going via Amsterdam, which comes back to London. This is in EU shares. All that is happening is that the order flow is being routed to Amsterdam, the teams are still mostly in London, and on tax that is what really matters.




la mancha is online now  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:06 pm
  #1893  
EU and me, happy together
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,876
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
One of the reasons for Brexit was we could trade with the rest of the world with tailor made trade agreements. Not on EU terms.
Brexit: What trade deals has the UK done so far?

In 2018, 40% of UK trade was with countries who did not have a trade deal with the EU. That number became smaller when the Japan, Singapore and Vietnam deals came into force.


Before Brexit, the UK was automatically part of any trade deal the EU had negotiated with another country. The EU had about 40 trade deals covering more than 70 countries at the time the UK left.The UK has made deals to continue trading in the same way with 63 of these countries.

However, deals with four countries - Albania, Jordan, Canada and Mexico - have not fully come into force yet. The Jordan deal, for example, will not be in effect until March 2021.
Any existing EU agreement that was not rolled over, ended on 31 December with trade then taking place on World Trade Organization terms until a deal could be reached.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:17 pm
  #1894  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,198
la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Brexit: What trade deals has the UK done so far?

In 2018, 40% of UK trade was with countries who did not have a trade deal with the EU. That number became smaller when the Japan, Singapore and Vietnam deals came into force.

Look, what is the point of all this anymore? What you have posted here means SFA to me. It is the same stuff as I have been looking at on here for the past five years. I could have saved you the trouble posting this because it means absolutely nothing. Just look at what you have posted. Graphs and links. It is nothing. Who cares what this means? I shall say it again. Brexit means we can have tailor made trade deals with other nations. At present we have rolled over trade deals for convenience. These we can alter to make them more convenient for both us and our trading partners. We could not do this within the EU. I am so bored with your posts, all of you. It is so repetitive from you all now. What a yawn you are all becoming.
la mancha is online now  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:35 pm
  #1895  
BEfuddled
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen, België.
Posts: 4,933
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes


BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 7:01 pm
  #1896  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 18,191
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Facts suck.
amideislas is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 7:05 pm
  #1897  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,242
Watchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Facts suck.
No, be fair. The alternative facts are OK.
Watchpost is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 7:18 pm
  #1898  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 59,881
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Facts suck.
Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
No, be fair. The alternative facts are OK.

It's perfectly simple. We just cherry pick (English cherries, not those nasty EU cherries):
  • If something has gone well in or for the UK, it's because of brexit
  • If something has gone badly for the UK, it's because of the EU
  • If something has gone badly for the UK, it didn't actually happen that way at all and it was really good
  • If something has gone badly for any EU country, it's because it is in the EU
  • If something appears to have gone well for any EU country, it's a lie and didn't actually go well at all
  • If the UK leader does something poorly, he should be excused because he's doing his best/covid/everybody makes mistakes/Labour would have been worse
  • If the leader of an EU country or of the EU government itself does something poorly, it's a huge personal failing for which they should be driven from office/laughed at/is inherently due to the EU itself.
  • Any complaining or dissatisfaction within a member state of the EU is "an uprising" and a sign that the whole thing is coming apart
  • Any complaining or dissatisfaction within the UK is moaning/negative/anti British

Simple.

Have I missed anything?
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 8:00 pm
  #1899  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: In the middle of the continent
Posts: 1,891
Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
Do I detect a little Uber alles here?
The problem the UK has had in the past, and for understandable reasons, is that the EU, with as you keep mentioning a large market, is like a black hole to a nearby sun, it sucks it in.
It's easy to understand why any business operating from the UK would seek to concentrate on trading with the EU, it's close by, has good transport links, speaks english for the most part, has a stable currency and an established rule of law. For many businesses this is enough. Why crawl out of a comfortable shelter when it might be snowing outside.
What brexit has done, no doubt to the consternation of a great many UK businesses, is to force them to reconsider their business model. Those that still see a future in international trade will need to explore possibilities outside the EU and no doubt many will, as has been reported, establish permanent distribution centres within the EU. Either way, brexit has sent shock waves through the economy and those businesses that survive will have done so because they have become more competitive than they were before.
Like you, the company I worked for exported worldwide. I forget the figures but I believe in excess of 70% of their output went overseas, and a fair proportion went to germany.
My post was primarily describing what the small businessman would need to do, the guy selling cheese or pewter mugs. Large corporations will have the resources to manage a change in EU import regulations, it's the niche market trader I was thinking of, the trader that only now is being forced to look elsewhere for business. It'll no doubt be difficult and opportunities will arise for some and disaster for others, but that's how it is.
We all know that germany is the powerhouse that drives the EU. There really is no need to broadcast it in such a way as you do, it's not necessary.
I'd have thought that loss of a competitor from the EU realm would have the rest of the EU applauding, apparently not so.
Nevermind.
Assanah is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 8:14 pm
  #1900  
Preparing to move again
 
Annetje's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Charente Maritime
Posts: 5,883
Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Nevermind.
Most of the world has been waiting for the English produce to flood the markets and their patience will be rewarded soon.
Annetje is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 8:59 pm
  #1901  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 13,609
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It's perfectly simple. We just cherry pick (English cherries, not those nasty EU cherries):
  • If something has gone well in or for the UK, it's because of brexit
  • If something has gone badly for the UK, it's because of the EU
  • If something has gone badly for the UK, it didn't actually happen that way at all and it was really good
  • If something has gone badly for any EU country, it's because it is in the EU
  • If something appears to have gone well for any EU country, it's a lie and didn't actually go well at all
  • If the UK leader does something poorly, he should be excused because he's doing his best/covid/everybody makes mistakes/Labour would have been worse
  • If the leader of an EU country or of the EU government itself does something poorly, it's a huge personal failing for which they should be driven from office/laughed at/is inherently due to the EU itself.
  • Any complaining or dissatisfaction within a member state of the EU is "an uprising" and a sign that the whole thing is coming apart
  • Any complaining or dissatisfaction within the UK is moaning/negative/anti British

Simple.

Have I missed anything?
The Brexit Committee Centrale would be impressed with your grasp of their agenda, Camarada.

Well done.

Have you thought about infiltration?
Red Eric is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 9:56 pm
  #1902  
EU and me, happy together
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,876
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Look, what is the point of all this anymore? What you have posted here means SFA to me.
The point is, you make claims which we show are not what you say they are. I suspect you do this deliberately.

It is the same stuff as I have been looking at on here for the past five years.
Yet you still pull the same crap... You repeatedly do this, then play the victim when you're given facts that contradict your position. This is then followed by a flounce.

I could have saved you the trouble posting this because it means absolutely nothing. Just look at what you have posted. Graphs and links. It is nothing. Who cares what this means? I shall say it again. Brexit means we can have tailor made trade deals with other nations. At present we have rolled over trade deals for convenience. These we can alter to make them more convenient for both us and our trading partners. We could not do this within the EU.
All Facts Matter

I am so bored with your posts, all of you. It is so repetitive from you all now. What a yawn you are all becoming.
Try some self-reflection, LM.... Or a mirror. Or the unsubscribe button.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2021, 2:02 am
  #1903  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 59,881
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
The Brexit Committee Centrale would be impressed with your grasp of their agenda, Camarada.

Well done.

Have you thought about infiltration?

5e colonne.

Said in foreign because I'm anti-British.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2021, 1:46 pm
  #1904  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 36,484
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
One of the reasons for Brexit was we could trade with the rest of the world with tailor made trade agreements. Not on EU terms.

That is what I claimed. Tel me 'are not what you say they are'.
That might be what you said "just now" but here is an example of previous quotes from you.

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Just what is wrong with you? I just told you Britain has signed 58 trade deals this year. More will follow. We have opened windows to other wealthy trading blocs. We could not have done this if we were still in the EU.
Nothing about what terms deals could be done on just a definitive statement about not being able to make deals because of membership of the EU.

BristolUK is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2021, 2:01 pm
  #1905  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,198
la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit changes

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
That might be what you said "just now" but here is an example of previous quotes from you.



Nothing about what terms deals could be done on just a definitive statement about not being able to make deals because of membership of the EU.
I deleted my post because I couldn't be bothered with the usual replies.

Okay, just for you. This is what you quoted from me.

Just what is wrong with you? I just told you Britain has signed 58 trade deals this year. More will follow. We have opened windows to other wealthy trading blocs. We could not have done this if we were still in the EU.

This is true. we couldn't unilaterally sign a trade deal with another nation while in the EU. I don't understand what you are getting at with this.
la mancha is online now  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.