Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

BNP on Question Time Tonight

BNP on Question Time Tonight

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:45 am
  #91  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 463
Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Here you go, see him squirm.

Celtic Princess is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:50 am
  #92  
UNFORGIVABLE
 
YoungSteve17's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Erie PA - From Ipswich England
Posts: 381
YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess View Post
Here you go, see him squirm.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iS2ifU7a6qI
What was nicks answer for the guy at 1.40 ??
YoungSteve17 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:53 am
  #93  
UNFORGIVABLE
 
YoungSteve17's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Erie PA - From Ipswich England
Posts: 381
YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

NVM watch it here peeps..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iKfrY9l2kY
YoungSteve17 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:56 am
  #94  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 13,802
anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
That reminds me of the time I told a telemarketer "Sorry, I'd love to talk but I'm late for a meeting and I still have to iron my sheet."

Joking apart, it's funny how the BNP are always referred to as "right wing". Even a cursory look at their policies shows that they are, in fact, a socialist party.

I suppose it's because lefties can't be racist, so anybody who's racist must be a righty...
A bit like the Nazis then?

Ooops... I said it.
anotherlimey is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:35 am
  #95  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 59,198
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess View Post
Here you go, see him squirm.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iS2ifU7a6qI
Now that warms the heart. Ordinary decent people being decent.


Still don't see why there was any need to give him the platform. I would rather no one wanted to hear from him at all.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:51 am
  #96  
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,605
chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by Songbird View Post
Socialist as in NSDAP. As for the reason why the BNP are referred to as 'right wing' happen that's due to the fact that they are. Do you have any knowledge whatsoever of this 'party' other than your obviously ignorant 'cursory look' ? Judging by your comments it would appear not. How anyone with even half a brain could even doubt or question the reactionary nature of this 'party' is beyond me.
Well let's see:
  • Re-nationalise the railways? Check.
  • Protectionist tariffs against imports? Check.
  • Command economy? Check.
  • Co-operatives, worker share-ownership and profit-sharing? Check.
  • Central control of education? Check.
  • Re-nationalisation of all other utilities and services? Check.
  • Tax penalties for companies engaging in cross-border trade? Check.
  • and, my personal favourite, "non-destructive means to reduce income inequality". Check.

Like I said. Socialist.

I could go on, but a moment's thought obviates the need. Their target demographic is thick as pigshit arseholes who think the world owes them a council house, loads of dole and Sky TV. Their USP is, "Yes, all of that, but only for white folks".

Still, nice rant. Word to the wise - when I said "cursory", I was describing a minimum sufficient condition, not summarising my own knowledge or research. You may find a dictionary helps - it's a lousy story, but it explains every word as it goes along.
chartreuse is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:57 am
  #97  
A lion in your lap
 
elfman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Sparta NJ
Posts: 7,605
elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
Well let's see:
  • Re-nationalise the railways? Check.
  • Protectionist tariffs against imports? Check.
  • Command economy? Check.
  • Co-operatives, worker share-ownership and profit-sharing? Check.
  • Central control of education? Check.
  • Re-nationalisation of all other utilities and services? Check.
  • Tax penalties for companies engaging in cross-border trade? Check.
  • and, my personal favourite, "non-destructive means to reduce income inequality". Check.

Like I said. Socialist.
and like I said in a post not long ago on this thread yes they have some policies you could call left wing. And then they have others that you certainly wouldn't call left wing. It strikes me that their economic policies are an incoherent hodgepodge because they prefer to devote all their time and energy to shall we say, "demographic" issues. They certainly have a lot of fascistic tendencies and it would surprise me if the BNP themselves would agree with a blanket definition of "socialist"
elfman is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:14 am
  #98  
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,605
chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by elfman View Post
and like I said in a post not long ago on this thread yes they have some policies you could call left wing. And then they have others that you certainly wouldn't call left wing. It strikes me that their economic policies are an incoherent hodgepodge because they prefer to devote all their time and energy to shall we say, "demographic" issues. They certainly have a lot of fascistic tendencies and it would surprise me if the BNP themselves would agree with a blanket definition of "socialist"
Oh, you're quite right that they'd object to being called socialist. I also agree that their economic policies are, shall we say, somewhat difficult to tease out. But what I have been able to nail down certainly looks socialist to me.

Really, if we go back to my original post, I was commenting on the rather bizarre way in which the "modern left" (for want of a better term) instinctively brands them "hard right" when that is by no means any more justifiable than calling them socialist. Incidentally, there's nothing inherently right wing about fascism, either.

As anotherlimey point out, the Nazis are also commonly referred to as having been right wing, when they were clearly socialist - even by their own admission. It's these kind of sloppy smear tactics that intellectually discredit a movement. Much like the current spat over Fox News, where the White House is, by any standards, acting beneath the dignity of the office.
chartreuse is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:33 am
  #99  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 59,198
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
Oh, you're quite right that they'd object to being called socialist. I also agree that their economic policies are, shall we say, somewhat difficult to tease out. But what I have been able to nail down certainly looks socialist to me.

Really, if we go back to my original post, I was commenting on the rather bizarre way in which the "modern left" (for want of a better term) instinctively brands them "hard right" when that is by no means any more justifiable than calling them socialist. Incidentally, there's nothing inherently right wing about fascism, either.

As anotherlimey point out, the Nazis are also commonly referred to as having been right wing, when they were clearly socialist - even by their own admission. It's these kind of sloppy smear tactics that intellectually discredit a movement. Much like the current spat over Fox News, where the White House is, by any standards, acting beneath the dignity of the office.

Don't know why you would get upset over politicians criticizing the media. Happens all the time, everywhere. Ronald Reagan used to do it the whole time.

As for this whole "socialist, fascist, left, right" analysis of what passes for the BNP platform, it's a completely uninteresting argument. Their platform is very confused. If your goal is to find any way possible to criticize those who consider themselves to be "left", then that's not really very interesting either - same old thing.

The issue with BNP policies is that they are a fundamentally loathsome bunch of racists - nasty and power hungry. The old blackshirts wearing suits and poppies. Who the hell cares whether you can pin some of their policies as socialist and others as right wing. Ordinary, decent people want no part of them, and those decent people were in the Beeb studio today - they weren't trying to work out which bits were left and which bits were right. They just found him loathsome, and told him so. Nuff said.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:46 am
  #100  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
Like I said. Socialist.
Bollocks!
fatbrit is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:49 am
  #101  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Now that warms the heart. Ordinary decent people being decent.
Yes, thank goodness.
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:50 am
  #102  
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,605
chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Don't know why you would get upset over politicians criticizing the media. Happens all the time, everywhere. Ronald Reagan used to do it the whole time.

As for this whole "socialist, fascist, left, right" analysis of what passes for the BNP platform, it's a completely uninteresting argument. Their platform is very confused. If your goal is to find any way possible to criticize those who consider themselves to be "left", then that's not really very interesting either - same old thing.
I think you're reading a bit much into what I wrote.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The issue with BNP policies is that they are a fundamentally loathsome bunch of racists - nasty and power hungry. The old blackshirts wearing suits and poppies. Who the hell cares whether you can pin some of their policies as socialist and others as right wing. Ordinary, decent people want no part of them, and those decent people were in the Beeb studio today - they weren't trying to work out which bits were left and which bits were right. They just found him loathsome, and told him so. Nuff said.
So why all the strident voices claiming that he should never have been allowed on the show? After all, it all turned out OK, didn't it?

It's not so much the left or the right that I'm bothered about. Rather it's the whole big state authoritarian thing. Freedoms from are important. In the case of the BNP, it's not about their freedom to speak, but rather everybody's freedom from being prevented from speaking. GW Bush was a prime example of an offender in the overbearing state intrusion stakes. Sadly, in real terms it means he was about as bad as the average lefty.
chartreuse is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:51 am
  #103  
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,605
chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
Bollocks!
It is possible to be an evil lefty without being on Uncle George's payroll, you know?
chartreuse is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:53 am
  #104  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
Sadly, in real terms it means he was about as bad as the average lefty.
You're not going to progress until you can distinguish the fact that left and right are independent of authoritarian and libertarian.
fatbrit is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:29 am
  #105  
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,605
chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BNP on Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
You're not going to progress until you can distinguish the fact that left and right are independent of authoritarian and libertarian.
Oh, if only that were true. Tragically, scratch the typical lefty and you'll find an authoritarian core. While the right has its authoritarians, they are proportionally fewer.

That's probably part of the reason y'all keep trying to brand the BNP, Nazis, etc. as right wing, now that I come to think of it.

Good to know that you're on the high ground, though, telling folks what they need to do to progress. Ever thought of becoming a Scientoligist?
chartreuse is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.