Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

The Black Lives Matter movement

The Black Lives Matter movement

Old Nov 20th 2021, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
You don’t think a quote from the mayor of the city where the riot took place is worthy of a headline?
Of course if you want to promote a story, as I said I understand why they do it.

The current headline for Kenosha in the Guardian starts in large letters Miscarriage of Justice, I am sure somebody said that as well.
Old Nov 20th 2021, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stingychips View Post
Leave people alone and they will leave you alone. What idiot picks a fight with someone that is armed.
Like Ahmaud Arbery?

Rights are usually coupled with responsibility. If people are given the "right" to bear arms, responsibility should be expected from them in equal measure.

Old Nov 20th 2021, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
Like Ahmaud Arbery?

Rights are usually coupled with responsibility. If people are given the "right" to bear arms, responsibility should be expected from them in equal measure.
I have not really being following that one but thought they chased him down, ie the other way around.
Old Nov 20th 2021, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
I have not really being following that one but thought they chased him down, ie the other way around.
I had been following the Arbery case (among others), but not the Rittenhouse case.

To me, the events of the Rittenhouse case seem complex and unclear, and a not guilty verdict doesn't surprise me at all. Innocent until proven guilty.

Overall though, whenever an altercation involves an armed white man and an unarmed black man, it's the black man who ends up dead and the white man who ends up acquitted "because self defense".

Conversely, any black man with a gun is by definition an invitation to target practice.
Old Nov 20th 2021, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

My impression was that in the Arberry case they are likely to be found guilty?
Old Nov 20th 2021, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Of course if you want to promote a story, as I said I understand why they do it.
Or if you want to report the news.

The current headline for Kenosha in the Guardian starts in large letters Miscarriage of Justice, I am sure somebody said that as well.
The current headline is "As Kyle Rittenhouse walks free, Kenosha is left to pick up the pieces" with the byline "Reactions to the verdict show a city as divided and beset by inequality as on the night of the killings in August 2020".
Old Nov 20th 2021, 3:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Should stay well clear of the media, not sure about the smiling comment, sounds a reasonable response when you realise you are not going to have to spend the rest of your life behind bars.

That was the basis of his defense and prevailed.
Not the best of ideas when on camera. What he should do, in my opinion, is make a solemn apology, then fade away into obscurity. He is a silly boy and it’s beginning to sound like he wants his 15 minutes of fame. He probably has a target on his back and it’s getting bigger and bigger with this silly behaviour.
Old Nov 20th 2021, 4:29 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I personally find it difficult to understand a mentality that needs to carry a gun where no threat exists.

I'm getting on and I've visited the US a number of times but never felt the need to be armed,never felt threatened and have never been assaulted and yet I've no doubt that people I passed in the street would have been armed and I have to ask what threat they felt that required them to act this way.

Now I understand that this statement is sufficient justification for many to likewise go about their business armed, but it supports the thesis that so many US citizens, far from feeling free and safe, spend their lives in a state of fear that can only be kept at bay by carrying, what must be the equivalent of, a security blanket.

Mr Rittenhouse is a prime example of why this is a bad thing and I'm being generous acknowledging that many carry guns because they simply like it and the bigger and more dangerous the gun the better.

It's a form of madness,of mass hysteria, really, because normal people elsewhere don't feel the need to act this way.

Old Nov 20th 2021, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

If change is coming, it's because of the smartphone.
Old Nov 20th 2021, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Or if you want to report the news.

The current headline is "As Kyle Rittenhouse walks free, Kenosha is left to pick up the pieces" with the byline "Reactions to the verdict show a city as divided and beset by inequality as on the night of the killings in August 2020".
I just looked on the App big letters Miscarriage of Justice in red right at the top first item
Old Nov 20th 2021, 5:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked on the App big letters Miscarriage of Justice in red right at the top first item
I think you are misunderstanding what you are seeing, again. Here’s a quote from the piece in The Observer.
Brook Love, a 63-year-old from Milwaukee, said the outcome was typical of the racial injustice she’s seen throughout her life as a Black woman.

“What happened today is not right,” she said. “Any reasonable person can see that. People call this a judicial system. I call it a non-system, because most systems work. This non-system is not working. It’s a miscarriage of justice.
“Miscarriage of justice” is a quote. Just to emphasize, the Guardian and the Observer are newspapers. As such, they include (among other content) both opinion pieces and news reporting. The news reporting is liable to include quotations from other people.
Old Nov 20th 2021, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Yes because they're a massive bunch of dicks.

They created the problem and I don't see a reason for it. And I can see a federal civil rights case being brought too if it's deemed they tried to detain him solely because he was Black.

Old Nov 20th 2021, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
Yes because they're a massive bunch of dicks.

They created the problem and I don't see a reason for it. And I can see a federal civil rights case being brought too if it's deemed they tried to detain him solely because he was Black.
Wonder if Guardian will quote somebody saying that is a miscarriage of Justice I am sure they can find someone to say that
Old Nov 20th 2021, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Not the best of ideas when on camera. What he should do, in my opinion, is make a solemn apology, then fade away into obscurity. He is a silly boy and it’s beginning to sound like he wants his 15 minutes of fame. He probably has a target on his back and it’s getting bigger and bigger with this silly behaviour.
Rumor has it his lawyers are gearing up to sue anyone that called him a White supremacist in the media. I expect that work will be on a contingent fee basis; I don't expect he'll need to work again.

Old Nov 20th 2021, 6:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
Rumor has it his lawyers are gearing up to sue anyone that called him a White supremacist in the media. I expect that work will be on a contingent fee basis; I don't expect he'll need to work again.
On what basis would you sue someone for calling you a “white supremacist?” That doesn’t sound like it rises to the level of a libel - does it? And maybe he is a white supremacist, in which case it is perfectly acceptable to call him one.

Those are genuine questions - I just don’t know.

Further, I assume Rittenhouse can expect wrongful death suits etc from the estates or families of people he killed ..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.