Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

The Black Lives Matter movement

The Black Lives Matter movement

Old Jun 28th 2020, 12:21 pm
  #76  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,208
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Cue the "I don't agree with everything posted there but..." response.

Wade in garbage and you end up stinking.
No doubt you of all people should know! Isn't that what you were doing in response to a video I posted from YouTube and you went off and looked at the channel of the person where the video was held - even though he was clearly not the author of it, and you waded in filth (as I recall you described it at the time) looking at all the videos he's ever liked and from where, and came back not very smelling of roses and going on about everywhere you'd been and seen - only to discover that I hadn't even looked at the channel! Tip: Wear yer wellies next time!


Heheheh, you're so funny.
paulry is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 12:43 pm
  #77  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 54,765
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

"Sara Khan, Britain’s first counter-extremism commissioner, said far-right activists had used the death of George Floyd and Black Lives Matter (BLM) to propagate white supremacist narratives online.“They’ve been promoting racist extremist narratives, encouraging and inciting hate. Certain far-right actors have been claiming that the Black Lives Matter movement is a war against all white people,” said Khan, who leads the government’s Commission for Countering Extremism (CCE).......The CCE’s first major report, published last October, found that far-right activists were exploiting community tensions across the UK by spreading hate against minorities. However, Khan believes the situation has since worsened and that attempts to normalise extremist narratives hold the potential to “undermine the social fabric of our country.”. Rightwing extremists, she added, had also been quick to exploit the coronavirus by disseminating a range of conspiracy theories, many of them Islamophobic and antisemitic."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...xtremism-chief

Of particular note: "attempts to normalise extremist narratives".

Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 1:04 pm
  #78  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 32,610
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Of particular note: "attempts to normalise extremist narratives".
Not to mention that to "collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable" apparently excludes men and fathers as if men can't 'care' or be parents.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 1:17 pm
  #79  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 54,765
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Not to mention that to "collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable" apparently excludes men and fathers as if men can't 'care' or be parents.

I suspect the world is meant to look like this:



But the main point is that the narrative of the extreme right comes in dressed as nice, normal people who care about family, children, friends,and seemingly friendly people chatting away on internet forums, etc etc etc. The aim is to make alt-right themes seems like a normal choice in a sequence of options. But they are not.


In the meantime, people peacefully protesting are shot by a loon of some kind. You can see him right at the beginning of this video.

Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 1:20 pm
  #80  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,208
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Another really interesting interview with an American lady who rejects the division associated with BLM and the political left.

Something I find really encouraging about the USA is the sheer number of people of all races with awesome talent and attitudes who love their country and possess true beliefs in fairness and goodwill - unlike the lawless mobs that are currently occupying the so called CHOPs.

paulry is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 1:28 pm
  #81  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 12,144
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
"Sara Khan, Britain’s first counter-extremism commissioner, said far-right activists had used the death of George Floyd and Black Lives Matter (BLM) to propagate white supremacist narratives online.“They’ve been promoting racist extremist narratives, encouraging and inciting hate. Certain far-right actors have been claiming that the Black Lives Matter movement is a war against all white people,” said Khan, who leads the government’s Commission for Countering Extremism (CCE).......The CCE’s first major report, published last October, found that far-right activists were exploiting community tensions across the UK by spreading hate against minorities. However, Khan believes the situation has since worsened and that attempts to normalise extremist narratives hold the potential to “undermine the social fabric of our country.”. Rightwing extremists, she added, had also been quick to exploit the coronavirus by disseminating a range of conspiracy theories, many of them Islamophobic and antisemitic."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...xtremism-chief

Of particular note: "attempts to normalise extremist narratives".
I presume that's why we're being bombarded with so many dubious videos on here at the moment.

Perhaps they've upped the quota and are stuffing his inbox full every day with new demands.
Red Eric is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 1:29 pm
  #82  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 918
Watchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

I'm not sure whether I agree with you, Paulry, that the Black Lives Matter movement is marxist. Quite simply, I think that particular term is quite well defined and I'm not convinced that the definition fits.

But whatever. I have serious issues of my own with the "What We Believe" page. Ultimately, it's an attempt to play the identity politics card in several dimensions on the assumption that all those who has a grievance will unite against the establishment. Whatever one thinks of the different arguments, they are different arguments, and conflating them will be counter-productive.

Be that as it may, two points.

One, I don't believe that the millions who are marching under the BLM banner subscribe to this. Just because the manifesto was drawn up by a handful of people who may have been the original organizers and coined the slogan, it doesn't follow that millions of marchers share those views.

You said yourself (on 10 June) that you would take the slogan "Defund the police" at face value. Well, I think most people, marchers and sympathetic observers alike, take the slogan "Black lives matter" at face value, in the context of the undeniable depriving of black people's civil and basic human rights summed up by the video of George Floyd's murder.

Two, who else is standing up for the rights of black people? It's all very well denouncing the Black Lives Matter "movement" (by whatever definition of "movement"), but what/who else is there out there doing anything of significance for black people's basic human rights? What are you doing, apart from sitting on the sidelines and sniping?

You're the classic "I'm not racist, but..." type. No, you're not one of the perpetrators. You're one of the large group for whom the complete sentence is "I'm not racist, but I can't be bothered to do anything constructive, either."

In as much as you do do anything, you're no different to the hardcore BLM advocates in that you're playing the identity politics game to the bitter end.

Was it any different in the civil rights movement of the 1960s? Martin Luther King was an evangelical pastor; many activists at the time were marxists; there was a substantial body in favour of armed defence of the black community, such as the Black Panthers.

There was a lot of discussion at that time too, but the real impetus came from pairs of black and white (and Jewish) activists willing to board a Greyhound bus headed for the south. No doubt there were heated discussions between the different factions on the bus. But ultimately, what counted was that they got off the bus together at their destination and were beaten to a pulp by white supremacist thugs whilst the police stood by and watched - and TV cameras filmed. An image is worth a thousand words.

You and people like you are just hoping that this whole business can be talked to death and enough doubt sown. If the radical BLM activists sway the movement, you might get your wish. If not, don't count on it. Both sides are at equal risk of assuming that they will carry their identity base with them, but not everyone is willing to play the game. Too many people have a conscience and a TV set.
Watchpost is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 1:35 pm
  #83  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 54,765
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I presume that's why we're being bombarded with so many dubious videos on here at the moment.

Perhaps they've upped the quota and are stuffing his inbox full every day with new demands.
I've pointed out before that BE is not fertile ground for that garbage. I can't think of a single person who has been converted here in all these years.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 3:03 pm
  #84  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 7,180
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
I'm not sure whether I agree with you, Paulry, that the Black Lives Matter movement is marxist. Quite simply, I think that particular term is quite well defined and I'm not convinced that the definition fits.

But whatever. I have serious issues of my own with the "What We Believe" page. Ultimately, it's an attempt to play the identity politics card in several dimensions on the assumption that all those who has a grievance will unite against the establishment. Whatever one thinks of the different arguments, they are different arguments, and conflating them will be counter-productive.

Be that as it may, two points.

One, I don't believe that the millions who are marching under the BLM banner subscribe to this. Just because the manifesto was drawn up by a handful of people who may have been the original organizers and coined the slogan, it doesn't follow that millions of marchers share those views.

You said yourself (on 10 June) that you would take the slogan "Defund the police" at face value. Well, I think most people, marchers and sympathetic observers alike, take the slogan "Black lives matter" at face value, in the context of the undeniable depriving of black people's civil and basic human rights summed up by the video of George Floyd's murder.

Two, who else is standing up for the rights of black people? It's all very well denouncing the Black Lives Matter "movement" (by whatever definition of "movement"), but what/who else is there out there doing anything of significance for black people's basic human rights? What are you doing, apart from sitting on the sidelines and sniping?

You're the classic "I'm not racist, but..." type. No, you're not one of the perpetrators. You're one of the large group for whom the complete sentence is "I'm not racist, but I can't be bothered to do anything constructive, either."

In as much as you do do anything, you're no different to the hardcore BLM advocates in that you're playing the identity politics game to the bitter end.

Was it any different in the civil rights movement of the 1960s? Martin Luther King was an evangelical pastor; many activists at the time were marxists; there was a substantial body in favour of armed defence of the black community, such as the Black Panthers.

There was a lot of discussion at that time too, but the real impetus came from pairs of black and white (and Jewish) activists willing to board a Greyhound bus headed for the south. No doubt there were heated discussions between the different factions on the bus. But ultimately, what counted was that they got off the bus together at their destination and were beaten to a pulp by white supremacist thugs whilst the police stood by and watched - and TV cameras filmed. An image is worth a thousand words.

You and people like you are just hoping that this whole business can be talked to death and enough doubt sown. If the radical BLM activists sway the movement, you might get your wish. If not, don't count on it. Both sides are at equal risk of assuming that they will carry their identity base with them, but not everyone is willing to play the game. Too many people have a conscience and a TV set.
macliam is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 3:19 pm
  #85  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 54,765
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Well at least we know where Potus stands I suppose.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...ng-white-power
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 7:51 pm
  #86  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 77,200
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Now he's posting an uploader of clearly doctored videos.

Have you no shame?
That will get you banned or tag shamed on Facebook/Twitter.

#helpful
Leslie is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 8:00 pm
  #87  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 32,610
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
That will get you banned or tag shamed on Facebook/Twitter.

#helpful
Is that an honour I can apply for? I've not worn a badge in years and it would make a good one.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 8:03 pm
  #88  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 77,200
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Is that an honour I can apply for? I've not worn a badge in years and it would make a good one.
It's pretty easy . . . just be a lying racist that posts doctored videos and white supremacist propaganda. Apparently, the same qualifications as POTUS.
Leslie is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 8:08 pm
  #89  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 32,610
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
It's pretty easy . . . just be a lying racist that posts doctored videos and white supremacist propaganda. Apparently, the same qualifications as POTUS.
Ah...I misunderstood. I thought you meant I could get a tag for highlighting the habit.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2020, 8:08 pm
  #90  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 77,200
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Derek Chauvin doesn't seem to have a father. At least not one who will acknowledge paternity.

Derek Chauvin is a high school drop out.

Derek Chauvin's wife is filing for divorce.

Derek Chauvin is in jail.

Derek Chauvin will probably die in prison.

Leslie is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.