Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

The Black Lives Matter movement

The Black Lives Matter movement

Old Apr 22nd 2021, 6:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Ahh I thought times had changed and such obvious racism was no longer acceptable.So No Irish etc is now OK in this Progressive era.
Boiler! The valiant fighter against racism - in all the places it can't be found.
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I'm afraid Boiler only sees the world in black and white. Actual ethical stances seem to be beyond him.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 1:33 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interestingly-argued piece about the development of the concept of "whiteness", where it came from, the role it has played, and what it looks like now. It's one of the Guardian's 'long read' articles, and provides an interesting perspective. Boiler won't read it, but some others might find it interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/202...box=1618915660
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 6:52 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

This legacy of race in the US is ingrained and inbuilt into generations of governmental mindsets.

For my sins I dabble in genealogy and as such I review the odd US census and US BMD certs etc.

Inspect any of these and you'll see a box to be completed. It won't say 'nationality' it'll say 'colour' and you have to ask yourself why.

Who needs to know the skin colour of the respondent and for what purpose did they need it?
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 4:33 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid Boiler only sees the world in black and white. Actual ethical stances seem to be beyond him.
This is how it works ...

BLM is a bunch of bad and fake liars and shouldn't have a house. Nancy Pelosi is pure distilled evil whose house is too big for her to possibly be a Democrat, plus she has a nice refrigerator which means she's just a fake liberal. (I'm sensing a theme here) Everybody should hate both of them but if they happen to disagree with each other ... well, then that just confirms their bad evilness and obvious hypocrisy.

It's the Trump Wall logic all over again. The whole time Trump was lying about his plans to build the wall, they supported him. But when Joe Biden tries to fix parts of the wall he's doing something (not sure what) very wrong and hypocritical. But it was most definitely NOT wrong or hypocritical for Trump to promise something that he never intended to do (as evinced by the fact he never did it) but he raised a bazillion dollars in donations. And his friend Steve Bannon LITERALLY went to jail for stealing from donors with the promise of the wall. But it's Biden that did something wrong.

Or how about the immigration policies? When Trump cracked down on border crossings they said that it wasn't really Trump's policy because he was just following Obama's policies. (Meanwhile, he's cancelling Obama left and right on everything else) So, for four straight years, Trump simply had no choice because Obama made him do it. Now that Biden is following some of the same policies, well Biden is just a hypocritical piece of shit and, oh, he has dementia too. And Kamala is a witch.

Last edited by Leslie; Apr 23rd 2021 at 5:03 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 4:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
This is how it works ...

BLM is a bunch of bad and fake liars and shouldn't have a house. Nancy Pelosi is pure distilled evil whose house is too big for her to possibly be a Democrat, plus she has a nice refrigerator which means she's just a fake liberal. (I'm sensing a theme here) Everybody should hate both of them but if they happen to disagree with each other ... well, then that just confirms their bad evilness and obvious hypocrisy.

It's the Trump Wall logic all over again. The whole time Trump was lying about his plans to build the wall, they supported him. But when Joe Biden tries to fix parts of the wall he's doing something (not sure what) very wrong and hypocritical. But it most was most definitely NOT wrong or hypocritical for Trump to promise something that he never intended to do (as evinced by the fact he never did it) but he raised a bazillion dollars in donations. And his friend Steve Bannon LITERALLY went to jail for stealing from donors with the promise of the wall. But it's Biden that did something wrong.

Or how about the immigration policies? When Trump cracked down on border crossings they said that it wasn't really Trump's policy because he was just following Obama's policies. (Meanwhile, he's cancelling Obama left and right on everything else) So, for four straight years, Trump simply had no choice because Obama made him do it. Now that Biden is following some of the same policies, well Biden is just a hypocritical piece of shit and, oh, he has dementia too. And Kamala is a witch.

I think I'm following.

I'm starting to believe that basic logic courses should be compulsory at school.

I will also add this clip from the article I posted above. It seems to describe some of what happens on BE.

"At the same time, this new focus on whiteness has prompted much confusion and consternation, especially among white people not used to thinking of themselves in racial terms. The Pew poll found that half of white Americans [and apparently immigrants, my addition] thought there was “too much” discussion of racial issues, and a similar proportion suggested that seeing racism where it didn’t exist was a bigger problem than not seeing racism where it did."

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Apr 23rd 2021 at 5:02 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 5:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm following.

I'm starting to believe that basic logic courses should be compulsory at school.

I will also add this clip from the article I posted above. It seems to describe some of what happens on BE.

"At the same time, this new focus on whiteness has prompted much confusion and consternation, especially among white people not used to thinking of themselves in racial terms. The Pew poll found that half of white Americans [[i]and apparently immigrants, my addition] thought there was “too much” discussion of racial issues, and a similar proportion suggested that seeing racism where it didn’t exist was a bigger problem than not seeing racism where it did."
Yes, it really strikes a nerve with some people. (shout out to the gorgeous, fierce and perfect Val Demmings!)

I had a conversation with a woman who used to run a drug-testing facility. She said it was there that she witnessed first hand the worst racism she had ever seen. Wanna guess who the racists were? YUP. It was black people. Apparently she had a front row seat to their being racist with each other based on the darkness of skin. The lighter skinned ones (I shit you not) were very racist to the darker black people. White people were NOT the problem. She then went on to tell me that they were all lucky to have ancestors who were slaves, and the slaves were the really lucky ones, because that allowed them to live in a country where people don't live in grass huts and the slaves were much happier when they were slaves because life was really hard for them after slavery.

I hate the over use of "new words" but I just can't find a better word than gaslighting. It's also like a double bluff where I feel like these folks are being gaslit by FOX/Facebook/whatever but due to the gaslighting actually working on them, they in-turn go out and gaslight the rest of us.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Chauvin had "form" on trying to murder black men:

"According to a source who spoke with ABC News, federal investigators are looking at videos from Sept. 4, 2017, where Chauvin is reportedly seen, "striking a Black teenager in the head so hard that the boy needed stitches, then allegedly holding the boy down with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, and allegedly ignoring complaints from the boy that he couldn't breathe."

https://www.rawstory.com/derek-chauv...n--black-teen/
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully he will face some federal charges for it and another conviction, longer he stays in prison the better.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Looks like Chauvin had "form" on trying to murder black men:

"According to a source who spoke with ABC News, federal investigators are looking at videos from Sept. 4, 2017, where Chauvin is reportedly seen, "striking a Black teenager in the head so hard that the boy needed stitches, then allegedly holding the boy down with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, and allegedly ignoring complaints from the boy that he couldn't breathe."

https://www.rawstory.com/derek-chauv...n--black-teen/
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interestingly-argued piece about the development of the concept of "whiteness", where it came from, the role it has played, and what it looks like now. It's one of the Guardian's 'long read' articles, and provides an interesting perspective. Boiler won't read it, but some others might find it interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/202...box=1618915660
A "Brave New World"
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
A "Brave New World"

"that has such creatures in in".

It is Shakespeare's birthday, after all.
Old Apr 24th 2021, 11:31 pm
Pacifist Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post

Ohh dear
Spot on. Anti-white racism.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 2:26 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Spot on. Anti-white racism.
That's racist....but the crack cocaine sentencing wasn't.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 10:42 am
Pacifist Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
That's racist....but the crack cocaine sentencing wasn't.
Sorry Chief, I haven't got to reading your previous reply, but I will read it and comment in due course. My BE bandwith has been low of late. Too much trouble in the world, as my mon Bob used to sing.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Another day, another black person shot dead by police:

"Body camera footage and 911 audio from the shooting of a Black man by a Virginia deputy appears to show the deputy mistook a cordless house phone the man was holding for a gun"

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...e-gun-77284012

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.