Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

The Black Lives Matter movement

The Black Lives Matter movement

Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Black Lives Matter movement

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
It's the Black LGBTQ+ leftist marxists - forcing their damned swastikas on everyone and forcing good folk to shoot people in the back, for fear of their own lives.....
Well yes, there's that.

You would think that the current wave of protests would have highlighted all this stuff enough that there would be a giant, national WTF moment, but we have the wrong President for that.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:43 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Personally I support the premise of BLM in the sense that they have had the shit end of the stick for hundreds of years etc etc but do risk the run of losing support if they start turning it elsewhere.
I understand where you're coming from...... BLM does seem to have given people a platform to spout off about unconnected issues, which is diluting the core message. Equally it has provided a platform for people who want to push some fairly extemist messages - which also run the riisk of devaluing the concept as a whole. However, the biggest problem is that these non-core messages feed the vultures eager to denigrate the entire movement and keen to suggest that it is just a bunch of looters led by extremists. This makes it difficult to criticise aspects with which you might not agree, for fear of giving support to those who seek to discredit the whole movement (not, of course, that we have seen any examples of that.....).

I would suggest that most people marching under a BLM banner know exactly why they are protesting - and those busily producing agendas for the "movement" don't speak for them. Most people are protesting about the ongoing blatant discrimination and mistreatment of those with a different skin colour - and calling out the attitudes of those in power, rather than seeking to build bridges with other minority groups or worrying about historical wrongs.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:44 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
They've supported Trump and local Democrats.
Exactly what I posted,
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:49 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Poor comparison. As for the murdering cops they deserve all the penalties they get. No excuse. But please, enough of the privileged rich people. This is no good for anyone. If someone is rich why should they be penalised by those such as you belittling them?

By privileged rich people do you mean only white privileged rich people?
Did I say white?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I understand where you're coming from...... BLM does seem to have given people a platform to spout off about unconnected issues, which is diluting the core message. Equally it has provided a platform for people who want to push some fairly extemist messages - which also run the riisk of devaluing the concept as a whole. However, the biggest problem is that these non-core messages feed the vultures eager to denigrate the entire movement and keen to suggest that it is just a bunch of looters led by extremists. This makes it difficult to criticise aspects with which you might not agree, for fear of giving support to those who seek to discredit the whole movement (not, of course, that we have seen any examples of that.....).

I would suggest that most people marching under a BLM banner know exactly why they are protesting - and those busily producing agendas for the "movement" don't speak for them. Most people are protesting about the ongoing blatant discrimination and mistreatment of those with a different skin colour - and calling out the attitudes of those in power, rather than seeking to build bridges with other minority groups or worrying about historical wrongs.

Most people don't have an "agenda", period, in the sense meant by our more fearful posters. They are simply angry about the historical and current fallout from having a black skin and want change. They aren't devaluing others. They want to stop being devalued themselves. "Movements" catch on when there is a real issue felt by large numbers of people.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Most people don't have an "agenda", period, in the sense meant by our more fearful posters. They are simply angry about the historical and current fallout from having a black skin and want change. They aren't devaluing others. They want to stop being devalued themselves. "Movements" catch on when there is a real issue felt by large numbers of people.
Okay then so what are BLM's goals and how is all that they have been doing constructively contributing towards achieving them?

What practical changes are they contributing to? And what exactly are the changes they want?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:27 pm

One giant "whoosh!"
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I do think things have gone too far at this point and what was a very noble and meaningful cause is coming dangerously close to becoming trivialised and the cause of a collective eye roll.

For example, Grindr's recent decision to remove an ethnicity filter struck me as ridiculous. I am neither gay nor currently looking for a partner/hook-up companion so it doesn't affect me directly however I see no reason why ethnicity filters on dating apps are necessarily a demonstration of racist sentiment. If I was looking to date someone new at the moment then I wouldn't want to date a Muslim woman. Not because I think they're unattractive, in fact I think some of them are positively gorgeous, but because I can't ever see a relationship between a woman of the Islamic faith and myself working out. We're just too culturally different for that to ever work.

Additionally, simply removing that filter isn't going to remove people's prejudices so a filter like that isn't helping anyone apart from Grindr's own public image and also their profit margins as some users are likely going to be forced to spend more time engaging with the app before finding a match who ticks the boxes for them.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
I do think things have gone too far at this point and what was a very noble and meaningful cause is coming dangerously close to becoming trivialised and the cause of a collective eye roll.

For example, Grindr's recent decision to remove an ethnicity filter struck me as ridiculous. I am neither gay nor currently looking for a partner/hook-up companion so it doesn't affect me directly however I see no reason why ethnicity filters on dating apps are necessarily a demonstration of racist sentiment. If I was looking to date someone new at the moment then I wouldn't want to date a Muslim woman. Not because I think they're unattractive, in fact I think some of them are positively gorgeous, but because I can't ever see a relationship between a woman of the Islamic faith and myself working out. We're just too culturally different for that to ever work.

Additionally, simply removing that filter isn't going to remove people's prejudices so a filter like that isn't helping anyone apart from Grindr's own public image and also their profit margins as some users are likely going to be forced to spend more time engaging with the app before finding a match who ticks the boxes for them.
It defeats the object really. In the normal world you state what you're looking for. ....Tick I want that, untick I dont want that, etc. But now it's tick I want that ......Computer says no, untick I dont want that ...Computer says no. Human user says and

Just another "go woke go broke" business in the unmaking.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:50 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post

Capitalist business does a thing. Grass roots movement gets the blame.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
No, people had been demanding they do it for a long time via Twitter etc apparently. It just took BLM for them to actually deploy it because then they could do so with some free positive PR.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52886167
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:59 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Just another "go woke go broke" business in the unmaking.
To be fair, it's predominately a casual gay hook-up mobile app. I doubt they were all too conservative a business in the first place.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post

Indeed.

Why not just ignore that stuff and instead focus on the underlying cause-systemic disadvantage and bad, violent treatment based on the invented concept of race as it shows up in skin colour. That would be a giant step toward attacking all forms of ignorance and bigotry being used in the service of profit.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Another day, another dilution of the BLM cause, especially the BLM UK cause. Why get involved in Israel and capitalism? You had the support of the premier league, no need to veer off the key topic. Calling Sir Keir Starmer "a cop in an expensive suit" is a great way to lose a load of your key left supporters! Defund the police, yep, that'll work!
https://ukdaytoday.com/sports/2020-0...30/ukdaytoday/
Old Jul 1st 2020, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Indeed.

Why not just ignore that stuff and instead focus on the underlying cause-systemic disadvantage and bad, violent treatment based on the invented concept of race as it shows up in skin colour. That would be a giant step toward attacking all forms of ignorance and bigotry being used in the service of profit.
They need political influence. But "1 million" mums marched on DC once and got nothing IIRC, so i'm not holding out much hope for 10,000s of African Americans; and the action on the fringes (not necessarily African Americans) are working to undercut any empathy from the White voters they need on their side to make changes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.