Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Athletic Tantrums...Moved from the Harry/Markle Thread

Athletic Tantrums...Moved from the Harry/Markle Thread

Old Nov 18th 2020, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Athletic Tantrums...Moved from the Harry/Markle Thread

It's not like we know Meghan & Harry personally. I'm sure they are just like everyone else having up's and down's. I never have understood why folks put so much energy into disliking people they don't even know. But I guess we're all guilty of that mistake. There certainly are a few football players I've said a unkind thing about over the years. And a tennis player, and basketball players.............

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Nov 18th 2020 at 3:00 am.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 3:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Athletic Tantrums

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
There certainly are a few football players I've said a unkind thing about over the years. And a tennis player, and basketball players.............
You cannot be serious!

Old Nov 18th 2020, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Mac was an emotional genius given to erratic outburst. It was amazing how those flare ups never adversely affected his level of play. Striking the ball and shifting back and forth from offense to defense requires a great deal of concentration. That guy was quite rare.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 7:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Mac was an emotional genius given to erratic outburst. It was amazing how those flare ups never adversely affected his level of play. Striking the ball and shifting from offense to defense requires a great deal of concentration. That guy was quite rare.
My all time favourite. And he was right.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 7:44 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Mac was an emotional genius given to erratic outburst. It was amazing how those flare ups never adversely affected his level of play. Striking the ball and shifting back and forth from offense to defense requires a great deal of concentration. That guy was quite rare.
I considered his antics came very close if not to be actual cheating.
To be sure it never affected his level of play or his concentration, but there were always others on the court and I considered that it must have affected theirs.
I came to wonder whether it was game play designed to disrupt play. I find it difficult to believe that continual disruption didn't adversely affect opponent's mindset, especially when they'd be operating at their limit.
He was certainly a rare character, in my view he got away with an awful lot, in some ways it reminds me of Trump. "Oh it's just Trump!" is the mantra when he gets away with stuff that'd destroy other's careers.
No, in my view McEnroe was one of the worst examples of a tennis player of his generation.

Old Nov 19th 2020, 2:39 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
My all time favourite. And he was right.

Nope! The original bad boy with a wild temperament was Ilie Nastase. He had class with his badness!
Old Nov 19th 2020, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
I considered his antics came very close if not to be actual cheating.
To be sure it never affected his level of play or his concentration, but there were always others on the court and I considered that it must have affected theirs.
I came to wonder whether it was game play designed to disrupt play. I find it difficult to believe that continual disruption didn't adversely affect opponent's mindset, especially when they'd be operating at their limit.
He was certainly a rare character, in my view he got away with an awful lot, in some ways it reminds me of Trump. "Oh it's just Trump!" is the mantra when he gets away with stuff that'd destroy other's careers.
No, in my view McEnroe was one of the worst examples of a tennis player of his generation.
Gamesmanship in sports is fair play imo. I really can't think of many sports where mind games aren't utilized to gain an advantage and the better players tend to expect it. Is it enjoyable to play against someone that uses distraction methods as a means to win? Heck no, but it will make you a better player if you can figure out how to overcome that type of opponent.

It's taught in the juniors that you must understand the various type of opponents that will cross your path. Some foes will be more of a mental obstacle than a physical barrier, and once that individual has been mentally conquered you will own them forever. I'm sure we all have dealt with loud over the top players on the tennis and basketball court that used annoying tactics in order to throw off our timing and focus. And sometimes it worked for that moment, but in the long term it only made my focus stronger which allowed me to zone out any and all none sense.

I like to look at the Williams sisters and Tiger Woods. When teaching them to play their sport, each of them were intentionally bombarded with loud outside interferences in order to increase the level of focus to combat against those specific type of opponents. Look at Novak Djokovic and how often that guy is the most jeered and hated person in a stadium and yet he blocks them all out and powers his way to the winner's circle. Johnny Mac, Jimmy Conners and Nasty were the best I've seen at using gamesmanship to feather their own nest. But I think the most blatant offender had to be Nasty. His antics often were directed at his opponent instead of playing to the crowds which was a bit over the top if you ask me. Illie was extremely talented but when his opponent was getting the better of him that was the moment you could expect the craziest of behavior to come from Nasty. Trust me, he earned that Nickname. Just ask Stan Smith.

And let's not forget the biggest gamesmanship played against a player and it doesn't come from another player. It comes from a crowd. The French crowd at the French Open for decades have decided matches by jeering and picking on certain players in order to advantage one player over another. That in my opinion is the worse example of gamesmanship. Let the players decide the match.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 7:50 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Gamesmanship in sports is fair play imo. I really can't think of many sports where mind games aren't utilized to gain an advantage and the better players tend to expect it. Is it enjoyable to play against someone that uses distraction methods as a means to win? Heck no, but it will make you a better player if you can figure out how to overcome that type of opponent.
It's taught in the juniors that you must understand the various type of opponents that will cross your path. Some foes will be more of a mental obstacle than a physical barrier, and once that individual has been mentally conquered you will own them forever. I'm sure we all have dealt with loud over the top players on the tennis and basketball court that used annoying tactics in order to throw off our timing and focus. And sometimes it worked for that moment, but in the long term it only made my focus stronger which allowed me to zone out any and all none sense.
I like to look at the Williams sisters and Tiger Woods. When teaching them to play their sport, each of them were intentionally bombarded with loud outside interferences in order to increase the level of focus to combat against those specific type of opponents. Look at Novak Djokovic and how often that guy is the most jeered and hated person in a stadium and yet he blocks them all out and powers his way to the winner's circle. Johnny Mac, Jimmy Conners and Nasty were the best I've seen at using gamesmanship to feather their own nest. But I think the most blatant offender had to be Nasty. His antics often were directed at his opponent instead of playing to the crowds which was a bit over the top if you ask me. Illie was extremely talented but when his opponent was getting the better of him that was the moment you could expect the craziest of behavior to come from Nasty. Trust me, he earned that Nickname. Just ask Stan Smith.
And let's not forget the biggest gamesmanship played against a player and it doesn't come from another player. It comes from a crowd. The French crowd at the French Open for decades have decided matches by jeering and picking on certain players in order to advantage one player over another. That in my opinion is the worse example of gamesmanship. Let the players decide the match.
You make a fair point, and it can be used to excuse what I'd call cheating. Others will, to me, excuse this type of behaviour by saying "It's all part of the game". I'd argue that it's allowed to be part of the game because its allowed to become a crowd puller, it becomes more exciting to watch than the game itself and eventually it becomes the behaviour that the crowd comes to see and not the tennis.
But as you say, it's what makes the world go around. To me it was cheating. If you couldn't beat the guy by playing batting the ball then use whatever tantrum you can to put him off, you might just as well break a leg.
Tennis, like so many sports, is a sport where you can win because the other guy does badly not because you've done well.
When I was young I chose archery. It was a conscious decision I made because I wanted a sport where the only opponent I was playing was myself. It was put to me that at the start of a round you started with a perfect score, it was up to you, and you alone, how many points were lost at the end. Golf is another example of the type.
I was never very good at it but whenever I did well I had the satisfaction that it was me and me alone that had achieved it.
I wonder, when McEnroe and his ilk look back at their wins whether they class themselves as first class tennis players or first class brats.

Old Nov 19th 2020, 11:17 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Athletic Tantrums

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
You make a fair point, and it can be used to excuse what I'd call cheating. Others will, to me, excuse this type of behaviour by saying "It's all part of the game". I'd argue that it's allowed to be part of the game because its allowed to become a crowd puller, it becomes more exciting to watch than the game itself and eventually it becomes the behaviour that the crowd comes to see and not the tennis.
But as you say, it's what makes the world go around. To me it was cheating. If you couldn't beat the guy by playing batting the ball then use whatever tantrum you can to put him off, you might just as well break a leg.
Tennis, like so many sports, is a sport where you can win because the other guy does badly not because you've done well.
When I was young I chose archery. It was a conscious decision I made because I wanted a sport where the only opponent I was playing was myself. It was put to me that at the start of a round you started with a perfect score, it was up to you, and you alone, how many points were lost at the end. Golf is another example of the type.
I was never very good at it but whenever I did well I had the satisfaction that it was me and me alone that had achieved it.
I wonder, when McEnroe and his ilk look back at their wins whether they class themselves as first class tennis players or first class brats.
There's no excuse whatsoever that can be reasonably made for McEnroe's behaviour on court. He seems to acknowledge this himself in his autobiography, saying 'I was pretty much a first class jerk'.

Remembering his disqualification from the Australian Open 1990 for yelling at the tournament supervisor 'Just go and f*** your mother', I'm inclined to agree with his self-assessment.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 3:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Nope! The original bad boy with a wild temperament was Ilie Nastase. He had class with his badness!

Plus he looked great in shorts. Those were the days when you could actually get into Wimbledon without paying a small fortune and/or queuing for three days.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 3:34 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Plus he looked great in shorts.
Everyone did in the 80s.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Plus he looked great in shorts.
Those were the days when you could actually get into Wimbledon without paying a small fortune and/or queuing for three days.
Yes you could get the tickets of those leaving in mid-afternoon and go in for free ---on any court.
(Only an hour train journey from my teenage Portsmouth school). Headmistress (it was discovered) used to scrutinize the TV to see if any of us there front row at the center court. (Didn't occur to us in those days to change out of school blazer!)

Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:05 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
When it comes to tennis he was a good'un too. But he has blotted is copybook somewhat since.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:38 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
When it comes to tennis he was a good'un too. But he has blotted is copybook somewhat since.
Yes, that was all a bit sad.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Yes you could get the tickets of those leaving in mid-afternoon and go in for free ---on any court.
(Only an hour train journey from my teenage Portsmouth school). Headmistress (it was discovered) used to scrutinize the TV to see if any of us there front row at the center court. (Didn't occur to us in those days to change out of school blazer!)
Living in Wimbledon, we could just walk down to the courts. And we did.

School blazers have to be stuffed into bags.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.