Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Another one gone. Long time poster scrubbed at her own request

Another one gone. Long time poster scrubbed at her own request

Old Jan 2nd 2022, 9:12 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another one gone. Long time poster scrubbed at her own request

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
At last!!!
To be clear , in case it is misunderstood in some way as the written word can seem fickle.

My post pertains only to the desire to those wishing or thinking to not participate / post to BE or areas of BE anymore. One should simply log out and clear BE from bookmarks etc . Unless the person wants to totally remove temptation, then closing is probably the best option rather than delete. Closing gives a way back with admin permission . Deletion is about removing one's info and details completely leaving no way back. This is as far as my current understanding goes ref close/delete.

My post was not meant to be about the issues that have been raised recently where posters are suggesting change or adjustment. Those should be heard as those posters do not wish to walk away or leave. They wish to continue to contribute but have been and are unhappy with the current status quo. That is an evolved situation which can be addressed and reset imo.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 9:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
To be clear , in case it is misunderstood in some way as the written word can seem fickle.

My post pertains only to the desire to those wishing or thinking to not participate / post to BE or areas of BE anymore. One should simply log out and clear BE from bookmarks etc . Unless the person wants to totally remove temptation, then closing is probably the best option rather than delete. Closing gives a way back with admin permission . Deletion is about removing one's info and details completely leaving no way back. This is as far as my current understanding goes ref close/delete.

My post was not meant to be about the issues that have been raised recently where posters are suggesting change or adjustment. Those should be heard as those posters do not wish to walk away or leave. They wish to continue to contribute but have been and are unhappy with the current status quo. That is an evolved situation which can be addressed and reset imo.
I think this is a good and fair summary. And people are not just knocking things. There are some good faith, honest and good, positive ideas out there for improving the overall experience and keeping BE prosperous in terms of community.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 9:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post

Your post wasn’t misunderstood.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

My, the ban hammer has been swinging this afternoon. I don't know who 98 was but 99 can rest easy knowing that BE isn't the only place cleaning house today...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59854916

Good f***ing riddance to that one. If ever I were to feel the need to slap a woman this one would qualify.

Edit: I don't think there'd be much for me left to slap if some of the ladies of BE got there first though.

Last edited by zzrmark; Jan 2nd 2022 at 11:27 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 11:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
My, the ban hammer has been swinging this afternoon. I don't know who 98 was but 99 can rest easy knowing that BE isn't the only place cleaning house today...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59854916

Good f***ing riddance to that one. If ever I were to feel the need to slap a woman this one would qualify.
If a member is banned…’banned’ is clearly written under the username. If a member requests their account closed…’Account closed’ is clearly written under the username. If a member requests their account deleted…then their username and all info is deleted…thus the Scrubbedexpat moniker.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

'' If a member requests their account deleted…then their username and all info is deleted…thus the Scrubbedexpat moniker.''

yet they still h get to post under 'scrubbedexpat'?
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 11:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
'' If a member requests their account deleted…then their username and all info is deleted…thus the Scrubbedexpat moniker.''

yet they still h get to post under 'scrubbedexpat'?
Yes.

No…they are no longer a member of BE and cannot post or re-register.

If a member requests their account is closed…they are allowed to re-register one time only.
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
If a member is banned…’banned’ is clearly written under the username. If a member requests their account closed…’Account closed’ is clearly written under the username. If a member requests their account deleted…then their username and all info is deleted…thus the Scrubbedexpat moniker.
My bad, I thought trolls don't have it in them to jump and always need a damn good push...
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 12:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Let me make this quite clear…

If a member receives a permanent ban…they cannot re-register. Under the username is the word ‘Banned’.

If a member asks for their account to be closed…the username stays, but under the username it states ‘Account closed’. They are normally allowed to re-register one time only.

If a member asks for their account to be deleted…their username and personal info is deleted. They cannot re-register.

Old Jan 3rd 2022, 2:42 am
Pacifist Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Hmmmm.

If one asks for their account to be closed, it is closed. Their details all remain.

If one asks for their account to be deleted, all their profile information is deleted. The posts remain, attached to a generic username, so that forum indexing is not broken.

Yes, the reference to the CA privacy rules are for residence of California, but for simplicity sakes, it is applied to everyone.
Out of curiosity is it possible for a member to request an electronic copy of every post they have made on BE? Is there any "right to data" one data or does it depend on jurisdiction ? I'm not requesting it, just wondering if it's possible.
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 3:23 am
Pacifist Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

My view is that if someone finds a thread "depressing" or stressful they need only to leave it. I recently did just this (as some will know!) partly because I knew the discussion was not going anywhere, and partly because I didn't want to add to others' stress.

I do find some of the comments on this particular thread very hypocritical. Some of the vilest language on TIO comes from your beloved "Duchess" in Texas, and those complaining about a lack of civility are often congratulating her on her abusive comments.
I find many here are so trapped in a "filter bubble," that they have convinced themselves that there is only one side to an issue. Only their view is valid, and any who question/oppose it are de facto bigots. It genuinely is a kind of fanaticism.

​​​​​As for declining numbers, my guess is that there is some general attrition going on as there are more social media options now than when BE was in its heyday. Also the last two years of pandemic has perhaps reduced the inflow of new/potential 'expats'.

​​​​

Last edited by Shard; Jan 3rd 2022 at 3:25 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

BE would crumble if I left.
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 11:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
But overall my personal opinion is that TIO should be nuked from high orbit and other threads/folders set up for current events, etc. The whole TIO concept has degenerated and now just encourages aggression, at best.
The problem is. When we didn't have it, political, or any other hot topic threads were in the lounge, or all over the forum.

People didn't like that. People didn't like that they were being moderated so strictly.

TIO is a way for those topics to be had, with minimal moderation.

It also helped volunteer mods with a reduced workload.

The irony in some of the complaining about not liking topics and posts by some being met with equally unpleasant retorts by those who disagree. Complaints made by some, are made of those same posters by others, are are leaving because of them, who go unnoticed because they are not as prolific, and they simply ask for their accounts to be deleted.

The forum will not be improved by removing TIO. It will only be improved with more tolerance, and being nicer.

Old Jan 3rd 2022, 11:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Out of curiosity is it possible for a member to request an electronic copy of every post they have made on BE? Is there any "right to data" one data or does it depend on jurisdiction ? I'm not requesting it, just wondering if it's possible.
I do not actually know, but under the privacy statement, there is a email to request that data if one is a California resident.
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 11:59 am
Pacifist Ape

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
The problem is. When we didn't have it, political, or any other hot topic threads were in the lounge, or all over the forum.

People didn't like that. People didn't like that they were being moderated so strictly.

TIO is a way for those topics to be had, with minimal moderation.

It also helped volunteer mods with a reduced workload.

The irony in some of the complaining about not liking topics and posts by some being met with equally unpleasant retorts by those who disagree. Complaints made by some, are made of those same posters by others, are are leaving because of them, who go unnoticed because they are not as prolific, and they simply ask for their accounts to be deleted.

The forum will not be improved by removing TIO. It will only be improved with more tolerance, and being nicer.
Amen to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.