Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Another one gone. Long time poster scrubbed at her own request

Another one gone. Long time poster scrubbed at her own request

Old Jan 1st 2022, 5:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another one gone. Long time poster scrubbed at her own request

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
& 097...

Soon be ton up!
97 was Sugarmooma

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
The influx of left leaning gun owners ...
Influx? Someone hasn't read Marx
Old Jan 1st 2022, 6:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Many moons ago, we awarded her the Order of the Bath.
Isn’t that what Tony Blair got today?
Old Jan 1st 2022, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
There might be some rose tinted glasses used here. TIO was never a caring, sharing, Disney-esque British tea party you're making it out to be.

We used to (a few of us are still here and others were named posthumously in the other thread) tare into all types of conservatives, American Republicans and Southern types the most, worse if they showed a religious conviction of any kind.

That behaviour at the very least drove people outside of TIO. But I'm sure others left the site; I recall a few people saying they were leaving after being told repeatedly they believed in fairies (because science) for example.

I'm not parrticularly proud of that looking back at that era.

To me, now, saying let's make the forum like it used to be is like saying make America Great Again and then remembering its never really been great for everyone.

I don't see it's changed much here tbh, except a few people that believe in fairies are more willing to stand their ground now.

Even when topics are personal to me I know when to avoid them or just hit and run

If you want bigotry off the forum you need to stamp it all out, not just the parts you don't like. And that might mean the end of TIO, but with the traffic here probably the whole site.

This is happening on other forums with existing political slants. The influx of left leaning gun owners in the last few years means I see the same conversations happening on those sites except in reverse (e.g. long running members calling for newbies to be banned if they dare mention the election wasn't rigged).
So you're happy for people spout crap that has been proved wrong iin court? Sure, let's turn another forum into Gab or Parler...

Old Jan 1st 2022, 8:25 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Isn’t that what Tony Blair got today?
No, Blair got the Garter, top of the heap.

Undergarments rank higher than cleanliness in the honours business.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 9:38 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Undergarments rank higher than cleanliness in the honours business.
So how does being scrubbed rank in the honour stakes?
Old Jan 1st 2022, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

JeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond repute

I see two more subscribers have been "scrubbed". One who from what I could see was frequently a target of bullies and the other who agreed bullying was going on. I followed up on what the latter subscriber said a day or two ago and I agree with them, it is a core of around half a dozen posters who have made this website unpleasant.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

JeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond repute

The only award that fellow deserves is a compulsory invite to the Hague
Old Jan 1st 2022, 10:25 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Sugarmooma, practically a founding member having been one since 2003, has now asked for her account to be deleted and she has left BE. It is no longer a place that she wants to be. I won't try to speak for her on the details, suffice to say that my first post in the TIO Christmas thread covers at least some of it.

She didn't flounce, much too classy for that, so I'm flouncing for her. I had permission from her to speak of her decision on here, so I hope the mods respect that.

She is the most friendly, helpful, pleasant person you could imagine.

It pisses me off that general sections of the forum that should be for everyone are now just a safe zone for those who want only to cause trouble, post their garbage, and generally make it impossible for anyone else to take any pleasure at all in participating.

If she leaves, quite a few others are only half a step away from just not posting any more at all. BE is not irreplaceable.

So will we be having changes, or not?
I think Sugarmooma was a fairly nice person, but she seemed to dislike me.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 10:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
So how does being scrubbed rank in the honour stakes?
Presumably lowest of the lot, being extra clean.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 11:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JeenaG View Post
I see two more subscribers have been "scrubbed". One who from what I could see was frequently a target of bullies and the other who agreed bullying was going on. I followed up on what the latter subscriber said a day or two ago and I agree with them, it is a core of around half a dozen posters who have made this website unpleasant.
What's your secret about knowing who they are once their name has been changed to scrubbed?

How do you know so much about everyone in such a short space of time?
Old Jan 1st 2022, 11:44 pm
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We have lost good solid likeable posters over the last few days, who have spent years contributing to BE. I am so sad to see my cyber-friends leaving in this way, even their names removed as if they don't matter. They aren't even allowed to live on here after their departure nowadays, and I find that incredibly sad and almost underhand. People who have contributed that amount of information and help should have the honour of seeing their contributions remain under their "real" name.
I see that one of the newly "scrubbed" posters was a mainstay of the now largely deceased Australia forum. Many moons ago the Australia forum on BE was the best of numerous forums in the world of migration to Australia. It was fun, it was friendly and it was informative. Many of us made lasting real-life friendships through it, and there have even been a few marriages between posters.
Then facebook etc caused the drift away, and a group of argumentative posters took over. Personally, I still believe the forum could have been saved with a couple of well directed bans, but even as a supermod the decision was not mine to make. Those posters are still active and still derail, and squabble constantly within, almost every thread.
BE in general now seems to be following the same path. I hate to see the place disintegrating as it has been my lifeline on many occasions, but I have asked myself more than once over the last few months why I even bother to check in these days. I hate to admit it, but I'm not sure the our beloved BE can be saved.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
What's your secret about knowing who they are once their name has been changed to scrubbed?

If you see a scrubbed poster you can check the 'all posts' then hopefully find where that post has been quoted to get original username.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
We have lost good solid likeable posters over the last few days, who have spent years contributing to BE. I am so sad to see my cyber-friends leaving in this way, even their names removed as if they don't matter. They aren't even allowed to live on here after their departure nowadays, and I find that incredibly sad and almost underhand. People who have contributed that amount of information and help should have the honour of seeing their contributions remain under their "real" name.
I see that one of the newly "scrubbed" posters was a mainstay of the now largely deceased Australia forum. Many moons ago the Australia forum on BE was the best of numerous forums in the world of migration to Australia. It was fun, it was friendly and it was informative. Many of us made lasting real-life friendships through it, and there have even been a few marriages between posters.
Then facebook etc caused the drift away, and a group of argumentative posters took over. Personally, I still believe the forum could have been saved with a couple of well directed bans, but even as a supermod the decision was not mine to make. Those posters are still active and still derail, and squabble constantly within, almost every thread.
BE in general now seems to be following the same path. I hate to see the place disintegrating as it has been my lifeline on many occasions, but I have asked myself more than once over the last few months why I even bother to check in these days. I hate to admit it, but I'm not sure the our beloved BE can be saved.
If a poster asks for their account to be closed their name lives on.

If a poster asks for their account to be deleted, then all info is removed as required by data protection laws (I believe).
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

I don't know their names but I can see what they posted and how others interacted with them. Other than that, three months is plenty of time to see what has been going on here and to form opinions about the causes. Maybe you are too close to the problems and perhaps even a part of the them to be able to see them?

It's strange to be treated with suspicion and some hostility here right from my very first contribution. But maybe that is another part of the problem?
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:27 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
If a poster asks for their account to be closed their name lives on.

If a poster asks for their account to be deleted, then all info is removed as required by data protection laws (I believe).

Hi old.sparkles .

That was so in my time & even with the onset of GDPR , but I believe from what I have read here from Bob , that this now is not the case. GDPR itself doesn't seem to have altered so perhaps it is a reduction in the vbulletin options or an IB legal dept decision .

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 2nd 2022 at 12:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.