Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Amazon the company not the river.

Amazon the company not the river.

Old Oct 10th 2020, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amazon the company not the river.

This is a news piece from Canada, CBC Marketplace, they tracked and tried to find where Amazon returns go.

I thought I would share it, it's interesting and probably similiar in other countries.

Old Oct 10th 2020, 2:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon the company not the river.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
This is a news piece from Canada, CBC Marketplace, they tracked and tried to find where Amazon returns go.

I thought I would share it, it's interesting and probably similiar in other countries.

https://youtu.be/W1yqcagavfY

It is interesting, and shows the deeply unhealthy relationship we have with "stuff" in the developed world. This is not just about Amazon, but about all of us buying and buying things we don't need, tossing stuff out, and more. When you think about the parts of the world that have nothing, and the human and environmental costs of living this way, it's pretty shocking.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It is interesting, and shows the deeply unhealthy relationship we have with "stuff" in the developed world. This is not just about Amazon, but about all of us buying and buying things we don't need, tossing stuff out, and more. When you think about the parts of the world that have nothing, and the human and environmental costs of living this way, it's pretty shocking.
Agree ----One Christmas some years ago ordered from M&S an extra large sweater for a male relative ---they sent a pink child size cardigan--I phoned customer services---"just throw it away" was the reply ----"we will send the sweater". (Obviously a small grand daughter received the cardigan).

The other problem is the supermarket 'best before' date--on groceries etc. most are perfectly safe and edible--but if they pile it up outside I believe it counts as 'theft' if anyone just takes it.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Agree ----One Christmas some years ago ordered from M&S an extra large sweater for a male relative ---they sent a pink child size cardigan--I phoned customer services---"just throw it away" was the reply ----"we will send the sweater". (Obviously a small grand daughter received the cardigan).

The other problem is the supermarket 'best before' date--on groceries etc. most are perfectly safe and edible--but if they pile it up outside I believe it counts as 'theft' if anyone just takes it.
When I worked in retail we threw so much out that could in theory be donated, but often is was due to vendor contracts. Books for example under the contract with the vendors the retailer could not donate or giveaway the books, and the retailer was required to destroy the books, which in our store we just ripped off the covers and tossed them into the trash, same with just about every product in the store except clothing, clothing was donated to local charities. Food was thrown out as well, lots of it. The amount of food waste in a typical grocery store is astronomical.

Old Oct 10th 2020, 5:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post

Charities working on hunger here are starting to develop mechanisms for collecting that food, but still. We just over consume. When I was in a Guatemalan village, years ago now, for six weeks, I think I had more stuff in my backpack than that entire family had altogether.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 6:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Charities working on hunger here are starting to develop mechanisms for collecting that food, but still. We just over consume. When I was in a Guatemalan village, years ago now, for six weeks, I think I had more stuff in my backpack than that entire family had altogether.
It's not necessarily in places like that. I went to Russia a couple of years after they opened up, stayed with Russian people. Went shopping one day for souvenirs and suddenly became aware that in one shop I was spending more on gifts to take home, than the average proffessional in Russia earned in a month. was talking to a chap, who would be classed as a Consultant Oncologist, in Russia, at that time, he earned the equivalent of $30 a month, and that was good pay. They were paid ostensibly in Roublesm but salary as $ equivalent, to account for the changing exchange rate, and yes, they got paid, went out and spent most of their money except for essentials like bread and milk on the day they were paid ofr the day after as it would be losong value every day.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 7:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
It's not necessarily in places like that. I went to Russia a couple of years after they opened up, stayed with Russian people. Went shopping one day for souvenirs and suddenly became aware that in one shop I was spending more on gifts to take home, than the average proffessional in Russia earned in a month. .
I went in 89, staying at the Pulkovskaya, Leningrad. At breakfast we'd get dirty looks when asking for a second or third coffee. A couple of days later in the 'hard currency' Beriozka shop we could see why. Tea in a nice tea caddy was dirt cheap but the most basic instant coffee was a bloody fortune.

Waiters were offering 3 roubles to a £ on the first day (official rate was 1:1) but by the time we moved on to Moscow they were offering 10 to 1 as they knew by then that we could get (if so inclined) that on the street.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 9:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I went in 89, staying at the Pulkovskaya, Leningrad. At breakfast we'd get dirty looks when asking for a second or third coffee. A couple of days later in the 'hard currency' Beriozka shop we could see why. Tea in a nice tea caddy was dirt cheap but the most basic instant coffee was a bloody fortune.

Waiters were offering 3 roubles to a £ on the first day (official rate was 1:1) but by the time we moved on to Moscow they were offering 10 to 1 as they knew by then that we could get (if so inclined) that on the street.
One amazing thin I saw was going into a bank to change dollars to roubles. as soon as we got in the door, in the bank, we were approached by a man offering to change monwy at a better rate than the bank, we were with Russians, so asked them and they did they bargaining, when they gave us the money one Russian in our party took one of the notes, went to the bank teller and asked if it ws genuine (it was) and came back so we concluded the transaction. She explained that she had gone to the teller because she hadn't seen that denomination note before. Can you imagine that happening in a bank you frequent?
Old Oct 10th 2020, 9:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

One amazing thin I saw was going into a bank to change dollars to roubles. as soon as we got in the door, in the bank, we were approached by a man offering to change monwy at a better rate than the bank, we were with Russians, so asked them and they did they bargaining, when they gave us the money one Russian in our party took one of the notes, went to the bank teller and asked if it ws genuine (it was) and came back so we concluded the transaction. She explained that she had gone to the teller because she hadn't seen that denomination note before. Can you imagine that happening in a bank you frequent?
I'm curious, was there a minimum exchange to get the rate they were offering? I felt that although they might be offering 10-1 that they wouldn't give you 10 for only 1; it had to be more to make it worth it.
Old Oct 11th 2020, 7:24 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I'm curious, was there a minimum exchange to get the rate they were offering? I felt that although they might be offering 10-1 that they wouldn't give you 10 for only 1; it had to be more to make it worth it.
They were offering a rate about 10 - 15% above the official rate, however you did have to spend that money in Russia, as back in the UK you could only exchange Roubles back to sterling if you had an official bank receipt for the exchange. Dollars was the currency to take as that was the one that was trusted, and, of course they still had the berioska, dollar shops where that was the only currency. In fact they used plastic bags from all sorts of UK and US stores, like TESCO. UK and US plastic bags were status symbols as they showed you had had dollars to spend. This was one of the things we took as gifts, , and we had bought a bundle of cheap ball points, again they were like gold there. Visiting at that time was a real eyeopener. One of the couples we were invited by came to the UK to visit us, we fund raised for them and brought 6 over for visits.and the couple had a baby about 9 mounts after their visit, don't think that was co-incidence either as having a room to themselves was almost unheard of in Russia. Next time we visited the baby was around 8 months old and one of our suitcases was fiilled with baby clothes, expensive and hard to find there. That baby will be around 30 now.
Old Oct 11th 2020, 12:17 pm
Oscar nominated

...however you did have to spend that money in Russia, as back in the UK you could only exchange Roubles back to sterling if you had an official bank receipt for the exchange.

Plus there was that business about declaring your cash and value of stuff you were arriving with and then the same when you were leaving, so a comparison could be done. My trip was all done via the UK company with Intourist and I spent hardly anything there except for the souvenir stuff and a couple of bars.

So if on departure you had something of the value of 100R/£ that you didn't have on arrival and your cash levels had only gone down by £10 then either you did an illegal exchange of 10 to 1 to enable it or you illegally paid £ to someone on the street for a fur hat or something.

No idea if it would be followed up but as a civil servant I was specifically warned about this sort of thing before going.

I went with my mother - also a civil servant - and on both arrival and departure we were both taken out of the main queues for immigration/ customs and directed to a new desk that just opened. Coincidence?
Old Oct 11th 2020, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised the return rate is so high. I have been regularly buying stuff from Amazon for more than 20 years and I only made a couple of returns.
Old Oct 11th 2020, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by philat98 View Post
I am surprised the return rate is so high. I have been regularly buying stuff from Amazon for more than 20 years and I only made a couple of returns.

I have a feeling the highest returns might be with the sold by XYZ and fulfilled by amazon, often these products tend to be inferior to downright junk, at least on Amazon Canada, I had too many issues with 3rd party sellers where Amazon fulfills the order, so now I only buy products listed as shipped and sold by Amazon but even then your not guaranteed to get the legit product as Amazon co-mingles the products, so if you order a Nikon camera for instance and its beng sold by both Amazon and 3rd party with Amazon fulfilling it and the 3rd party sends in used, or counterfeit product, you can still end up with a used or counterfeit product.

I had this happened with a Nikon camera that I ordered a couple years ago, seemed legit at first, box was the correct box, but the camera itself seemed off, so I did some investigating, and contacted Nikon sent them pictures of the camera, as well as the label on the bottom with the serial number and such.

Turns out the camera I had was a counterfeit, the box was legit but the camera was not. The serial number matched no cameras Nikon sold, and the label said Made in China and according to Nikon the model of camera I had was not being made in China.

Did a return with Amazon and went to a brick and mortar store and bought the camera instead.

The listing said shipped and sold by Amazon but clearly with the co-mingling they struggle to keep their products and 3rd party seller products separate.

Counterfeit products on Amazon is a big issue.

When I was willing to buy from 3rd party but fulfilled by Amazon, I'd say about 50% of the items were either wrong and not what they were listed as, or the quality was so poor they were not worth the price paid.

I ordered a bed frame in June on Amazon, they shipped it from Toronto area about 4,000km away from Vancouver where I was, it arrived in Vancouver, but the courier said it was too heavy and refused to deliver it, the courier (Purolator) also refused to let me pick it up as it was at a warehouse not open to the public. Amazon refunded it pretty quickly so I didn't care past that point, but kept an eye on the tracking, it sat until middle of August when the courier sent it back to Amazon in Toronto, so that bed frame travelled over 8,000km over the summer round trip.

We never did get a bed frame....lol

Last edited by Jsmth321; Oct 11th 2020 at 7:06 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats interesting about fake Nikon cameras. I guess that you would not be able to register the serial number with Nikon?
According to Tech Radar some forgers just change the model number to a higher priced version.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Apparently the shoe section of a Amazon warehouse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinter...ter_here_is_a/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.