Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

After birth 'abortions'??!!

After birth 'abortions'??!!

Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:22 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After birth 'abortions'??!!

Originally Posted by dollface View Post
Got it in one, sounds like 2 Italian Catholics making a point that "murder" is just that, whether at conception or otherwise - load of sh1t.
Why?

It is wrong to kill an innocent human being.
A human fetus/new-born baby is an innocent human being.
Therefore it is wrong to kill a human fetus/new-born baby.

Which part of the syllogism do you disagree with?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:23 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
Why?

It is wrong to kill an innocent human being.
A human fetus/new-born baby is an innocent human being.
Therefore it is wrong to kill a human fetus/new-born baby.

Which part of the syllogism do you disagree with?
Seriously?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:24 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously?
Yes! I'm afraid sh!t doesn't explain your stance to me. I'd like to understand it.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:31 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! I'm afraid sh!t doesn't explain your stance to me. I'd like to understand it.

My stance is pretty straight forward really - pro-choice in terms of LEGAL abortion and the rest, in terms of the thread title, is a load of sh1t.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:40 am
Septicity

My stance is pretty straight forward really - pro-choice in terms of LEGAL abortion and the rest, in terms of the thread title, is a load of sh1t.
So you defer your ideas of morality to the state obviating the necessity to otherwise consider them? I suppose it's a safe track to take in a modern democracy.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:46 am

So you defer your ideas of morality to the state obviating the necessity to otherwise consider them? I suppose it's a safe track to take in a modern democracy.
I have ZERO intention of getting into a debate with you. My opinion, is just that, MY opinion - you, are at liberty (thankfully!) to choose the path that sits best with you.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:51 am
Septicity

I have ZERO intention of getting into a debate with you. My opinion, is just that, MY opinion - you, are at liberty (thankfully!) to choose the path that sits best with you.

I'm conflicted on the whole issue. I'm open to suggestions.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm conflicted on the whole issue. I'm open to suggestions.
It's certainly not straightforward. Abortion at 40 weeks is legal in some situations (at least in the UK, not familiar with the law here). The difference between that and infanticide becomes a technicality. Discussion of the point at which we deem someone to have become human is worthy of debate.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:06 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
It's certainly not straightforward. Abortion at 40 weeks is legal in some situations (at least in the UK, not familiar with the law here). The difference between that and infanticide becomes a technicality. Discussion of the point at which we deem someone to have become human is worthy of debate.
Striking P2 is the usual pro-choice argument. However, the gradual nature of growth makes it impossible to define adequately a time when life becomes human.

I presume the authors of the paper followed Singer and attacked P1.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:07 am

Really? what circumstances? ( or are you quoting The Guardian? )usually no more than 24 weeks.

Last edited by dollface; Feb 29th 2012 at 1:11 am.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Striking P2 is the usual pro-choice argument. However, the gradual nature of growth makes it impossible to define adequately a time when life becomes human.

I presume the authors of the paper followed Singer and attacked P1.
I don't know what that means.
Really? what circumstances? usually no more than 24 weeks.
Handicap, but I believe doctors have leeway in other circumstances.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:12 am

Handicap, but I believe doctors have leeway in other circumstances.
But surely with all the 3D scans etc you would know in advance of 40 weeks, some women would have given birth naturally by that time - I had.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:17 am
Septicity

The syllogism I gave in #91 contains two premises (commonly denoted P1 and P2) and a conclusion. Arguments about the time human life begins attack P2 to make it the conclusion invalid. Singer (a contemporary philosopher) caused great controversy by attacking P1 instead. The paper about infanticide (I haven't read it yet) presumably follows Singer down this path.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But surely with all the 3D scans etc you would know in advance of 40 weeks, some women would have given birth naturally by that time - I had.
It is my understanding that very late abortions are permitted in some cases, however it will need someone with more concrete knowledge to confirm.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The syllogism I gave in #91 contains two premises (commonly denoted P1 and P2) and a conclusion. Arguments about the time human life begins attack P2 to make it the conclusion invalid. Singer (a contemporary philosopher) caused great controversy by attacking P1 instead. The paper about infanticide (I haven't read it yet) presumably follows Singer down this path.
Ah right I understand. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.