British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   After birth 'abortions'??!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/after-birth-abortions-750005/)

SultanOfSwing Feb 29th 2012 4:40 pm

Re: After birth 'abortions'??!!

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9927675)
When I was in my late teens, I'm pretty sure I scared a few chemist shop assistants, into thinking they were about to be held up. I was so embarrassed about buying johnnies, I would walk in, with my full-face crash helmet on and a scarf covering my face. :D

That is probably the only shop where that is a regular occurrence :lol:

Leslie Feb 29th 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9927671)
How Swiftly we came back to that one ...

He's being a shit but, in truth, it's primitive scenarios like this that make it more civilized to have elective abortion as an option.

fatbrit Feb 29th 2012 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9927672)
Or leave them to die of starvation if it's a choice between them and a stronger child. Absolutely.

How do you like me now?

You're now in a strong position to argue for infanticide.

SultanOfSwing Feb 29th 2012 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9927682)
He's being a shit but, in truth, it's primitive scenarios like this that make it more civilized to have elective abortion as an option.

It was a poor attempt at a pun :o

The point is, of course, valid. We are, after all, members of the animal kingdom, where practices such as that would be commonplace.

Uncle Ebenezer Feb 29th 2012 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9927671)
How Swiftly we came back to that one ...

Very punny.

Sally Redux Feb 29th 2012 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9927509)
Playing devil's advocate here ...

Where do you draw this famous "line"? The child cannot survive outside the womb, having run full term, without the long term constant care of the mother and is not cognisant until around six weeks old. So, when does it become a "person"? Our two cold blooded ethicists tell us it's OK to kill the child until around six weeks after birth.

Have any of us actually read the paper? Are they truly advocating it or just putting it out there for discussion? (I don't know because I haven't read it either).

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9927558)
My personal position has always been that life begins at the point of viability outside the womb. If the fetus cannot live outside the womb then, in my mind, it is not "alive" and therefore not what fits into my definition of life.

With advances in modern medicine the viability age is increasingly lower and that does weigh on my thought processes.

These are entirely my own beliefs and opinions.

My neighbour in Barnet had a baby at 23 weeks that survived.

Uncle Ebenezer Feb 29th 2012 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9927685)
It was a poor attempt at a pun :o

The point is, of course, valid. We are, after all, members of the animal kingdom, where practices such as that would be commonplace.

Really? What other animals practice elective abortion? :sneaky:

Leslie Feb 29th 2012 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9927684)
You're now in a strong position to argue for infanticide.

No. I'm in a strong position to argue the necessity of cheap, easy accessible, and guilt-trip free abortions. :)

Women (and men for that matter) have been murdering their own newborn babies, for a plethora of reasons, since the beginning of our brief time on this planet.

If anything, the argument for abortion is an argument against infanticide.

New bumper sticker:

~ Abortion prevents infantacide. ~

Sally Redux Feb 29th 2012 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9927690)
No. I'm in a strong position to argue the necessity of cheap, easy accessible, and guilt-trip free abortions. :)

and cheap/free accessible contraception would be even better.

Leslie Feb 29th 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9927688)
Have any of us actually read the paper? Are they truly advocating it or just putting it out there for discussion? (I don't know because I haven't read it either).

I haven't read it because I get a jacked-up pop-up, which covers the article, that asks me if I want to subscribe to that rag.

My neighbour in Barnet had a baby at 23 weeks that survived.
Yeah, that's fairly common now. Was the baby on neo natal life support at all? Or did it thrive from conception? I'm just curious.

SultanOfSwing Feb 29th 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9927689)
Really? What other animals practice elective abortion? :sneaky:

I was talking about animals who eat their young. A male lion taking over a pride, for example, will eat all the cubs sired by a rival male, before impregnating the females with his own.

That was my bloody ambiguous statements again.

Leslie Feb 29th 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9927699)
and cheap/free accessible contraception would be even better.

That goes without saying. It's ridiculous that you even have to bring that up ... but, unfortunately, you do. :blink:

fatbrit Feb 29th 2012 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9927628)
Does that make sense ... ?

It makes sense. You're opting to deny a fetus is a human being when that's the easy call to make under P2. If it doesn't work with that, you're moving to P1 instead and denying that it's wrong to kill an innocent human being. And then you're well down the road to accepting infanticide -- which you roundly reject!

Bloody stark choices, eh?

Of course, if you accept abortion is immoral, all these moral issues go away.

paranoidandroid Feb 29th 2012 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9927637)
I'm surprised that men do not push for their own birth control pill. I actually feel that, due to the nature of human reproduction, men get totally screwed on this issue. But, it is what it is.

I'd have no problem in taking one. It is what it is, I always think the responsibility should be shared as far as contraception goes, but I think women have the right to decide what happens inside their own body if a pregnancy occurs.

Sally Redux Feb 29th 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9927701)

Yeah, that's fairly common now. Was the baby on neo natal life support at all? Or did it thrive from conception? I'm just curious.

I'm afraid I don't know the details as they were a weird annoying lot :o