Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Afghanistan

Afghanistan

Old Aug 19th 2021, 9:47 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Afghanistan

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I can't wait to see where the 20,000 go in the UK, hopefully there are lots of people ready to welcome them into communities.
If they can handle millions of people (£43 millions in fund) from Hong Kong, I don't see a problem to take 20.000 refugees over the next 4 (or 5 or never) years.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 11:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

20,000 is a drop in the bucket
Old Aug 19th 2021, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to see which countries take in the Afghans and how many. Now how they end up being housed is anyones guess seeing as a lot of countries have their own problems with homeless people or unaffordable rental markets.
Booking a hotel room could become problematic in certain areas.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget it was the US that funded and armed the Taliban on the basis that they were fighting the USSR troops who were invited in by the Afghan government in 1989. It was on the basis of 'my enemies enemy is my friend'. You reap what you sow, unfortunately the US and UK have turned their backs.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
They used to have a nearly unlimited supply of fighters from Northern Pakistan, but now there's apparently some discord among the Pashtun there who are tired of war. Able to flow freely across the border because they're the same ethnicity, and living in tribal areas where the Pakistani army fears to tread, that's where they've gone to resupply, rest, and heal since this started.
Years ago driving through the tribal are I saw a house on the hill with 19th century cannons. Asked around who lived there nobody knew, one of village elders told me years ago someone had tried to find out and was promptly fired upon. Don't know if true but wouldn't surprise me. Saw boys carrying Enfield rifles ( or copies) taller then they because of problems with nearby village- or to take shots at any government vehicles that strayed from the road going through.

Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Johnson and Raab going off on holiday then does beggar belief.
One set of rules for them, one for the rest of us. Johnson and his merry band of Brexiters hardly instill confidence in this or other instances. Sad thing is probably in US or UK no one will lose their post because of this debacle. Indeed the brueacrats will claim to be yet more experienced in foreign affairs.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 2:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Years ago driving through the tribal are I saw a house on the hill with 19th century cannons. Asked around who lived there nobody knew, one of village elders told me years ago someone had tried to find out and was promptly fired upon. Don't know if true but wouldn't surprise me. Saw boys carrying Enfield rifles ( or copies) taller then they because of problems with nearby village- or to take shots at any government vehicles that strayed from the road going through.
The government used to pay feuding neighbour warlords not to kill each other, under the guise of paying them to keep the road open. They erected towers with good fields of fire but didn't shoot anyone on the road. When a young Gordon Sinclair was reporting for the Toronto Star he took a trip worth documenting. As he prepared to relieve himself just off the road, one of his guides pulled him back, explaining that if he walked off the road he was dead. Sinclair and Hemmingway cut their teeth as cub reporters for the Star.
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.209132

Old Aug 19th 2021, 3:15 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
I took a trip to the Tribal area too many years ago. Sometime in the early 90s. Went to the town of Darra. The shops seemed to be divided in thirds. One third selling drugs, another third selling guns, the other third being regular shops for food and clothing. Got invited to a gun "factory" a few miles away. AK 47s seemed to be the gun of choice. Amazing what they could manufacture with basic equipment, hand tools.

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 19th 2021 at 3:20 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

Biden's presidency is under scrutiny as never before over Afghan chaos

​​​​​​https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/polit...iny/index.html

​​​​​​Tom Tugendhat, a member who served with the British Army in Afghanistan, lambasted the US President's comments.
"To see their commander in chief call into question the courage of men I fought with, to claim they ran. It's shameful," Tugendhat said. "Those who have never fought for the colors they fly should be careful about criticizing those who have."

Old Aug 19th 2021, 4:12 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Biden's presidency is under scrutiny as never before over Afghan chaos

​​​​​​https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/polit...iny/index.html

​​​​​​Tom Tugendhat, a member who served with the British Army in Afghanistan, lambasted the US President's comments.
"To see their commander in chief call into question the courage of men I fought with, to claim they ran. It's shameful," Tugendhat said. "Those who have never fought for the colors they fly should be careful about criticizing those who have."
Is Tugendhat claiming that the Commander in Chief of the Afghan army was the US President? That would put the whole question of US involvement in Afghanistan in the imperial side rather than the one usually presented of assistance.
Surprised that anyone in the British army thinks of the loss of 27 cities in 9 days as anything other than failure.It does seem true that they never ran, but walked. I think I understand the point he is trying to make. "Lions led by donkeys" or similar, but he hasn't worded it well at all.

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 19th 2021 at 4:18 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

Part of a speech he made on Parliament yesterday which was applauded by all sides.

He served there and was referring to the people he served with.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

What's Tugendhat's explanation for the US and it's NATO partners, including the UK, spending $87bn trying to build an Afghan military only for it to fold its cards in weeks?
Old Aug 19th 2021, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
What's Tugendhat's explanation for the US and it's NATO partners, including the UK, spending $87bn trying to build an Afghan military only for it to fold its cards in weeks?
i do not know you would have to ask him

You can buy weapons you can not buy leadership
Old Aug 19th 2021, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Johnson and Raab going off on holiday then does beggar belief.
It's disgusting! It truly is..............
Old Aug 19th 2021, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
i do not know you would have to ask him

You can buy weapons you can not buy leadership
Would have thought a speech "which was applauded by all sides" would have covered that. But apparently not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.