Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Afghanistan

Afghanistan

Old Sep 27th 2021, 4:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Afghanistan

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Just on this and ref. Afghanistan.

As far as I have read and heard the consensus seems to be that regime change rarely works for the country on the receiving end. I have also read or heard from somewhere or someone, but cannot remember where or who now, that for any regime change to show signs of actual tangible change it needs to be over several generations = at least 50 + years.

The "western world" is fond of meddling in societies and countries it does not understand. De-stabalising them. Shifting balances of power . It really needs to stop and look to itself and the way it treats its own people. That's not so good either.
yes, you'd think by now we'd realise that whatever our intentions, Western intervention causes more harm than good I just about every case, in fact I can't think of any good outcomes.
Old Sep 27th 2021, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I don't see why the vast majority of people would even consider either option to be appropriate to themselves.
Why do people get angry about it then? They're just words describing feelings.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

‘Send us home,’ beg Afghan refugees stuck in UK hotels
Thousands who fled Taliban are living in hotels with inadequate healthcare in Operation Warm Welcome

​​​​​​https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-warm-welcome

Certain death is preferable to a UK hotel Says something.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 6:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post

Don’t mention the war!
Old Oct 9th 2021, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
‘Send us home,’ beg Afghan refugees stuck in UK hotels
Thousands who fled Taliban are living in hotels with inadequate healthcare in Operation Warm Welcome

​​​​​​https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-warm-welcome

Are they not letting the people leave the hotel rooms so basically treating them like a prison?

While I am not sure I would want to go back to Afghanistan I am not in their shoes, but I could not maintain sanity being locked in a hotel room either, they should at least have the freedom to go outside and walk around, the article isn't making it clear if the people are being forced to remain inside their rooms, if so that is not acceptable.

Old Oct 10th 2021, 12:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I am pretty sure if that was the case they would have said so I took it that they wanted houses, that seemed to be the focus.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 6:32 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Are they not letting the people leave the hotel rooms so basically treating them like a prison?

While I am not sure I would want to go back to Afghanistan I am not in their shoes, but I could not maintain sanity being locked in a hotel room either, they should at least have the freedom to go outside and walk around, the article isn't making it clear if the people are being forced to remain inside their rooms, if so that is not acceptable.
Not sure refugees being processed are allowed out. HO wouldn't want the risk of them disappearing before being thoroughly checked.
One has to be strong to survive a Patel warm welcome !
Old Nov 26th 2021, 1:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Sharbat Gula whose name may not be recognized but most have probably seen the photo of her on National Geographic from 1980's of a young afghan girl with green eyes, she has been granted refugee status by Italy and has arrived in Rome.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/af...ntl/index.html

Old Nov 26th 2021, 8:58 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Not sure refugees being processed are allowed out. HO wouldn't want the risk of them disappearing before being thoroughly checked.
One has to be strong to survive a Patel warm welcome !
Another side of the asylum seeker conundrum. The resources of the UK (housing, health care, etc), like many countries, are severely stretched. Hotels, B&Bs and hostels have been used for many years as emergency housing, often for long periods while occupants await permanent housing. Not ideal but at least they are safe from persecution and I imagine their conditions beat living in a tent near Calais, faced with a dangerous sea crossing.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

On the 'Tories in chaos thread, the topic of the British troops withdrawal was mentioned and as a possible example of the lies told by Boris Johnson the rescue of some dogs was mentioned. I pointed out the also negative action of the Foreign Secretary Liz Truss in the reduction of aid to the millions now starving in Afghanistan.
I was severely reprimanded and told to use the appropriate thread. The links I put were not commented on.
So I will put those links here along with one regarding Gordon Brown and the suggestion further aid from the Tory Government.
What are other posters opinions on further aid?

Afghanistan is sliding into catastrophe, and it’s our fault | Comment | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

In my 35 years as a reporter, I have never seen anything of Afghanistan’s magnitude | News | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

'One million children will die': UK urged to release unspent Afghanistan aid | World News | Sky News

Malala Yousafzai joins Gordon Brown and faith leaders in launching petition to ‘Save Afghan lives’ | ITV News

Old Jan 31st 2022, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
On the 'Tories in chaos thread, the topic of the British troops withdrawal was mentioned and as a possible example of the lies told by Boris Johnson the rescue of some dogs was mentioned. I pointed out the also negative action of the Foreign Secretary Liz Truss in the reduction of aid to the millions now starving in Afghanistan.
I was severely reprimanded and told to use the appropriate thread. The links I put were not commented on.
So I will put those links here along with one regarding Gordon Brown and the suggestion further aid from the Tory Government.
What are other posters opinions on further aid?

Afghanistan is sliding into catastrophe, and it’s our fault | Comment | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

In my 35 years as a reporter, I have never seen anything of Afghanistan’s magnitude | News | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

'One million children will die': UK urged to release unspent Afghanistan aid | World News | Sky News

Malala Yousafzai joins Gordon Brown and faith leaders in launching petition to ‘Save Afghan lives’ | ITV News
Seerely reprimanded by who? I told you I was willing to discuss Afghans starving on this thread, not the thread where we were discussing something completely different. Did you just misrepresent something again?

Serious question. With the Americans withdrawing troops at the time, as agreed with the Taliban (the agreement for which, the actual Afghan government weren't invited to be part of), do you understand British troops also had to leave as well.

I seriously believe we let the Afghan people down, but then they're back in pretty much the same position they were in before the Americans and Brits went in after 9/11. It would be nice to help the Afghan people with aid money and supplies, but unless there is a serious security presence, I have no confidence that any such aid would reach those it's intended for, and instead end up in Taliban control.

Also, to give an idea of how some would see it, why give aid to others when their are elderly people starving in the UK because they can afford to heat or eat, and need to stay warm. Or those UK families who have to rely on food banks. Those groups, and others, aren't going to worry about people in other countries, are they?

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 31st 2022 at 2:45 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 4:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I was severely reprimanded and told to use the appropriate thread.
What? That's outrageous. I'd take it up with the Moderation Team if I were you.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Is there an app for that?
Old Jan 31st 2022, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Seerely reprimanded by who? I told you I was willing to discuss Afghans starving on this thread, not the thread where we were discussing something completely different. Did you just misrepresent something again?

Serious question. With the Americans withdrawing troops at the time, as agreed with the Taliban (the agreement for which, the actual Afghan government weren't invited to be part of), do you understand British troops also had to leave as well.

1) I seriously believe we let the Afghan people down, but then they're back in pretty much the same position they were in before the Americans and Brits went in after 9/11. It would be nice to help the Afghan people with aid money and supplies, but unless there is a serious security presence, I have no confidence that any such aid would reach those it's intended for, and instead end up in Taliban control.

2) Also, to give an idea of how some would see it, why give aid to others when their are elderly people starving in the UK because they can afford to heat or eat, and need to stay warm. Or those UK families who have to rely on food banks. Those groups, and others, aren't going to worry about people in other countries, are they?

1) Did you read the links? Christina Lamb is an experienced reporter.

2) Yes I agree and many elderly people and children in the UK are suffering from hunger. However they are not 'starving' and having to sell body parts or girls for food.

Old Jan 31st 2022, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

I admit that I was somewhat sarcastic regarding the 'go to a different thread remark'.
I was rather 'disappointed' at the complete absence of response to the links I provided regarding the horrifying situation and need for UK Government not to reduce aid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.