British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Afghanistan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/afghanistan-940140/)

Lion in Winter Sep 9th 2021 2:06 am

Re: Afghanistan

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13049385)
Is it the country is shit and it's poor, or is it the Religion Of Peace making it shit and is poor for the people who live in these countries?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13049507)
It's the fundamentalist Taliban's extreme interpretation of sharia law that is shit, not Islam.

What she said.

Plus the fact that this and many other countries/people in the region get used by the US, the UK, and others for their own (often petroleum-based) purposes and then just get thrown to the dogs. Again. I wonder how many deaths we are are responsible for overall.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 9th 2021 3:12 am

Children's movies are the enemy.

Interesting facial expressions anyhow. Reported to be Taliban after raiding the Norwegian embassy.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a196b7ea1c.jpg

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 9th 2021 11:20 am

It's the fundamentalist Taliban's extreme interpretation of sharia law that is shit, not Islam.

How is it that different from Pakistan, Iran etc?

spouse of scouse Sep 9th 2021 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13049585)

How is what different?

BristolUK Sep 9th 2021 11:45 am

Every time I hear Taliban I can't help thinking of Harry Belafonte. :o

spouse of scouse Sep 9th 2021 11:47 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13049602)
Every time I hear Taliban I can't help thinking of Harry Belafonte. :o

And bananas?

BristolUK Sep 9th 2021 11:52 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13049604)
And bananas?

ccccccchighly deadly black tarantula

spouse of scouse Sep 9th 2021 11:54 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13049606)
ccccccchighly deadly black tarantula

That's what you get for working all night on a drink of rum

spouse of scouse Sep 9th 2021 12:01 pm

Come Mr Taliban, give us a Hosanna :rofl:

Lion in Winter Sep 9th 2021 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13049611)
Come Mr Taliban, give us a Hosanna :rofl:

Not today-o.

spouse of scouse Sep 9th 2021 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13049615)
Not today-o.

Hey Mr Taliban, is your name Brianna?

robin1234 Sep 9th 2021 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13049585)

Both those countries have their severe problems. But Pakistan has the rule of law and all sorts of civil society institutions, as well as a representative system of government. Iran does too, although very much under the thumb of the revolutionary guards & the theocracy.

Afghanistan is more or less ruled by Taliban extremists right now. I would have thought the difference was obvious.

robin1234 Sep 9th 2021 12:48 pm

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...r-afghan-women

This article, The Other Afghan Women, is really worth reading, though depressing. Not sure if it’s been linked in this thread yet.

The author is basically saying 70% of the population are rural, 30% urban. Women in big cities gained by the Russian and American wars (comparative peace, civil rights, education, employment opportunities.) Women in the villages and rural areas, on the other hand, saw their families killed by the Russians, Americans, NATO troops, and their corrupt Afghan stooges. The Taliban were consistently the less worse option. Their menfolk, wanting revenge, often joined the Taliban.

Why the Americans couldn’t figure this out over the course of twenty years, bearing in mind that most of what’s in this article has been common knowledge, is what the US armed forces need to figure out. West Point? Army War College, etc., etc.?

Very good thing about this article, it is based on in depth interviews with a number of village women from Helmand Province.

kimilseung Sep 9th 2021 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13049622)
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...r-afghan-women

This article, The Other Afghan Women, is really worth reading, though depressing. Not sure if it’s been linked in this thread yet.

The author is basically saying 70% of the population are rural, 30% urban. Women in big cities gained by the Russian and American wars (comparative peace, civil rights, education, employment opportunities.) Women in the villages and rural areas, on the other hand, saw their families killed by the Russians, Americans, NATO troops, and their corrupt Afghan stooges. The Taliban were consistently the less worse option. Their menfolk, wanting revenge, often joined the Taliban.

Why the Americans couldn’t figure this out over the course of twenty years, bearing in mind that most of what’s in this article has been common knowledge, is what the US armed forces need to figure out. West Point? Army War College, etc., etc.?

Very good thing about this article, it is based on in depth interviews with a number of village women from Helmand Province.

I heard this presented on NPR yesterday, but missed the bit about it being linked to an article.

Scamp Sep 9th 2021 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13049385)
Is it the country is shit and it's poor, or is it the Religion Of Peace making it shit and is poor for the people who live in these countries?

Christianity is the religion of peace, after all it says, in Book of 1 Samuel;

when God instructs King Saul to attack the Amalekites: "And utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them," God says through the prophet Samuel. "But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey." When Saul failed to do that, God took away his kingdom. In other words, Saul has committed a dreadful sin by failing to complete genocide.
Whereas in the Quran actively bans acts of 'jihad', which we all misunderstand. The terrorist attacks we claim as jihad are called something else and those who commit those are going straight to hell.

So, open to interpretation.

No - I don't think either religion is much to get excited about and I think they should all just be forgotten and banned, but the religion isn't the root cause of the problems.