British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Afghanistan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/afghanistan-940140/)

robin1234 Aug 16th 2021 12:04 am

Re: Afghanistan
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13040924)
The White House has curtailed the number of flights to the United States for Afghan Embassy workers to prioritize the evacuation of American personnel, apparently the airport has become to chaotic and is affecting aircraft being able to land, the last Afghan Special Immigrant Visa flight departed for Virginia, unknown when or if additional flights will be available.

According to CNN sources, they quote 4 unnamed US sources.

Just wondering about safety and logistics. What happens if they run out of jet fuel or other essential supplies at the airport? Rely on the goodwill of the Taliban?

Derrygal Aug 16th 2021 12:17 am

Re: Afghanistan
 

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 13040923)
Similarities to Jan 6th, US capital?


Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13040934)
Except these folks at the table in the Palace in Kabul probably know their arse from their elbow, unlike the US Jan 6 rioters & traitors.

Yes I am sure they do!

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 16th 2021 12:17 am

Re: Afghanistan
 

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13040935)
Just wondering about safety and logistics. What happens if they run out of jet fuel or other essential supplies at the airport? Rely on the goodwill of the Taliban?

Looks the US has lost control over the airport so you might be onto something, guess 6,000 troops was not sufficient number. These appear to be Afghan civilians desperate to leave.




scrubbedexpat091 Aug 16th 2021 12:24 am

Re: Afghanistan
 
Current airspace over Kabul, the yellow plane is a US KC-130 the red plane is a Bombardier Global 6000 but its at 45,000 feet so appears to just be overflying with no intention to land in Afghanistan. The only other aircraft in Afghan airspace visible is Aeroflot flying to Moscow from Bangkok.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...4a532b56f0.png

johnwoo Aug 16th 2021 12:24 am

Re: Afghanistan
 

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13040934)
Except these folks at the table in the Palace in Kabul probably know their arse from their elbow, unlike the US Jan 6 rioters & traitors.

No doubt, but the optics and intentions are similar.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 16th 2021 12:42 am

Re: Afghanistan
 
Various countries restrictions they have placed on their airlines and overlying Afghanistan.

UK/France/Canada: No overflight under FL250/260
Germany: No overflight under FL330
US: No overflight under FL260 except for ops to/from OAKB/Kabul

Additional photos taken at Kabul Airport.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...6e5eb16f9.jpeg



Lion in Winter Aug 16th 2021 1:28 am

Re: Afghanistan
 
Back to the middle ages for the women, then.

scrubbedexpat098 Aug 16th 2021 1:33 am

Re: Afghanistan
 
I think it's a terrible shame. To give people hope of a future free from oppression and then pull the rug out from under them is exceptionally cruel.

robin1234 Aug 16th 2021 1:47 am

Re: Afghanistan
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 13040958)
I think it's a terrible shame. To give people hope of a future free from oppression and then pull the rug out from under them is exceptionally cruel.

Certainly, that’s why they should never have embarked on nation building. Unless they were prepared to invest the blood and treasure in perpetuity.

Lion in Winter Aug 16th 2021 1:55 am

Re: Afghanistan
 

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13040959)
Certainly, that’s why they should never have embarked on nation building. Unless they were prepared to invest the blood and treasure in perpetuity.

They weren't doing nation building though. No nation was built. The country was occupied, but that's not the same thing at all.

johnwoo Aug 16th 2021 2:03 am

Re: Afghanistan
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 13040958)
I think it's a terrible shame. To give people hope of a future free from oppression and then pull the rug out from under them is exceptionally cruel.

20 years in Afghanistan, and this is the inevitable result. How long 20, 30, 50 more years? The pullout has been badly bungled however,

scrubbedexpat098 Aug 16th 2021 2:08 am

Re: Afghanistan
 

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 13040962)
20 years in Afghanistan, and this is the inevitable result. How long 20, 30, 50 more years? The pullout has been badly bungled however,

THE only un bungled way of pulling out would be to take every Afghani citizen who didn't want to live under Taliban rule with them. They have massively let these people down.

johnwoo Aug 16th 2021 2:24 am

Re: Afghanistan
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 13040963)
THE only un bungled way of pulling out would be to take every Afghani citizen who didn't want to live under Taliban rule with them. They have massively let these people down.

In hindsight there is little if any solution to the situation. Afghanistan isn't the only country facing a similar plight. Most of Africa, much of Asia, South America, North Africa.
A Kenyan Neighbor was telling me of the plight of many poor Kenyans.
Not to mention the plight of the homeless and poverty in the US. Massively let down by the US gov itself.

scrubbedexpat098 Aug 16th 2021 2:27 am

Re: Afghanistan
 
https://www.newyorker.com/news/lette...-still-leaving

Not our tragedy, the arrogance is astounding

Lion in Winter Aug 16th 2021 2:41 am

Re: Afghanistan
 

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 13040967)
https://www.newyorker.com/news/lette...-still-leaving

Not our tragedy, the arrogance is astounding


Not sure that arrogance is the word I would use. Maybe cynicism. Twas ever thus with the governments of empires, but the US runs a lousy empire.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:27 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.