British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Afghanistan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/afghanistan-940140/)

dave_j Aug 26th 2021 6:51 pm

Re: Afghanistan

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13044714)
The Taliban are not a cohesive group, seems their senior members have multiple memberships.

That may very well be true, but they now have a country to run and the responsibilities that go with it.

To my mind it's a little like poacher turned gamekeeper.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 26th 2021 6:59 pm

Events may prove me wrong but without the great satan to focus on I expect they will break up into the individual groups

dave_j Aug 26th 2021 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13044717)
Events may prove me wrong but without the great satan to focus on I expect they will break up into the individual groups

History suggests that you may well be right and that tribal loyalty will trump central government every time.

mikelincs Aug 26th 2021 8:27 pm

7 explosions now, last one just a few minutes ago

spouse of scouse Aug 26th 2021 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 13044744)
7 explosions now, last one just a few minutes ago

According to the BBC, that's US forces destroying equipment.

Jerseygirl Aug 26th 2021 9:03 pm

Biden is supposed to be giving a speech at 5.00 pm EST re today’s bombings. Looks like he is running late.

caretaker Aug 26th 2021 9:56 pm

"Two suicide bombers and gunmen attacked crowds of Afghans flocking to Kabul's airport Thursday, transforming a scene of desperation into one of horror in the waning days of an airlift for those fleeing the Taliban takeover. The attacks killed at least 60 Afghans and 12 U.S. troops, Afghan and U.S. officials said."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/at-leas...ured-1.5561869

dakota44 Aug 26th 2021 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13044783)
"Two suicide bombers and gunmen attacked crowds of Afghans flocking to Kabul's airport Thursday, transforming a scene of desperation into one of horror in the waning days of an airlift for those fleeing the Taliban takeover. The attacks killed at least 60 Afghans and 12 U.S. troops, Afghan and U.S. officials said."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/at-leas...ured-1.5561869

ISIS carried that out. At this point the U.S. needs to look into a deal to coordinate with the Taliban to wipe out the ISIS groups there. The Taliban and ISIS are mortal enemies. If ISIS gets a strong foothold they will bring in more ISIS followers and it will be like Al Qaida exporting terror all over again.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 27th 2021 3:43 am

​​​​​​Why our generals were more successful in World War II than in Korea, Vietnam or Iraq/Afghanistan

This current situation is more Political but an interesting take on how things have changed and the issues the modern military has.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 27th 2021 6:05 am

Can you tl:dr it for us, 58 minutes is rather long.

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13044847)

​​​Why our generals were more successful in World War II than in Korea, Vietnam or Iraq/Afghanistan

This current situation is more Political but an interesting take on how things have changed and the issues the modern military has.

dakota44 Aug 27th 2021 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13044867)

It's an interesting presentation though. The speaker is pretty good. The subject is interesting and quite true.

robin1234 Aug 27th 2021 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13044847)

​​​​​​Why our generals were more successful in World War II than in Korea, Vietnam or Iraq/Afghanistan

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 13044869)
It's an interesting presentation though. The speaker is pretty good. The subject is interesting and quite true.

It looks like the lecturer is Thomas E. Ricks, a journalist who specializes in military affairs. He seems to have had an interesting background, having attended school in Afghanistan for several years, for instance. I’d never heard of him before. Seems the lecture is from 2011. Looks interesting, I’ll give it a try.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 27th 2021 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13044867)

Basically Marshall decided what traits he needed in Generals that would be serving on combat and about 200 were retired or told they would be training but not leading their troops in action.

Then relief, if things did not work out for whatever reason you would be replaced pretty quickly, not career ending, many appeared again in a different role.

System now favours the yes men who know how to play the game and not take chances.

robin1234 Aug 27th 2021 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 13044869)

Yes it’s a really interesting and thought provoking lecture. It’s mostly about Marshall’s management of the Second World War, and he really gets into the fact that the US took very seriously the coalition aspect - the fact that the US had to work with the British. He talks about Eisenhower, Montgomery, and a couple of occasions when the US had to fire generals because the British insisted on it. Very good.

philat98 Aug 27th 2021 3:13 pm

A journalist speaking on the BBC today was saying he visited the UK embassy after the British had left. He said there were CVs lying on the ground from Afghans who had applied for jobs. There were names, addresses, phone numbers and employment histories. The Embassy were supposed to destroy them. Raab sets the standard.