British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Afghanistan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/afghanistan-940140/)

BristolUK Aug 24th 2021 7:16 pm

Re: Afghanistan

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13044053)
The Afghan army was already fully & well equipped. Golden rule - never leave behind anything that may be of use to the enemy. In their indecent haste to leave, they choose to ignore this principle, something the US has done before.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...df5d6c9d3e.png

scrubbedexpat0105 Aug 24th 2021 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 13044029)
There is a detail that bothers me :
Why did the evacuation start so late ?

From what I gather, the scale and speed with which the Afghan army defected to the Taliban wasn't anticipated.

Jerseygirl Aug 24th 2021 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13044040)
Do you think they left all those arms/tanks/vehicles behind for the Taliban or do you think those arms/tanks/vehicles were left in the hopes the Afghan National Army might use them? I suspect the US planners expected defences to fold in weeks rather than days and they didn't forsee the ANA surrendering en-masse.

None of the above…I was being facetious. If they couldn’t be returned to whence they came, they should have been destroyed.

BEVS Aug 24th 2021 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13044040)
Do you think they left all those arms/tanks/vehicles behind for the Taliban or do you think those arms/tanks/vehicles were left in the hopes the Afghan National Army might use them? I suspect the US planners expected defences to fold in weeks rather than days and they didn't forsee the ANA surrendering en-masse.

Quite.

dakota44 Aug 24th 2021 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Watchpost (Post 13044064)
From what I gather, the scale and speed with which the Afghan army defected to the Taliban wasn't anticipated.

Well, in fairness, they never anticipated the speed with which the N. Vietnamese would overrun the South.....causing a humiliating helicopter evacuation from the roof of the embassy. Nor did they, apparently, anticipate the disaster the 2nd Gulf war would be and the long term damage it did. Truth is, they seem pretty adept at not anticipating the obvious.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 24th 2021 11:40 pm

This possibility was something that was considered and warned against.

dakota44 Aug 24th 2021 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13044109)
This possibility was something that was considered and warned against.

Well, It WAS your God Trump that agreed to be out by May..did nothing to prepare and the new admin had to delay it in order to have any hope of a semi successful withdrawal. But do continue your delusion.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 25th 2021 12:09 am

CNN covered it

Think Guardian did as well

dakota44 Aug 25th 2021 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13044112)
CNN covered it

Think Guardian did as well

You still miss the point. The current administration was handcuffed by the agreement that TRUMP agreed to, and his administration signed. Had he not done that, things would have been different.

BEVS Aug 25th 2021 12:53 am

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 13044111)
Well, It WAS your God Trump that agreed to be out by May..did nothing to prepare and the new admin had to delay it in order to have any hope of a semi successful withdrawal. .

Yup

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 25th 2021 12:58 am

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 13044118)
You still miss the point. The current administration was handcuffed by the agreement that TRUMP agreed to, and his administration signed. Had he not done that, things would have been different.

If Biden really wanted to stay then he could have, after all the Taliban have not kept to that agreement.

Not sure how many people want to stay in Afghanistan, I think most on here wanted to leave but in an orderly fashion.

dakota44 Aug 25th 2021 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13044125)
If Biden really wanted to stay then he could have, after all the Taliban have not kept to that agreement.

Not sure how many people want to stay in Afghanistan, I think most on here wanted to leave but in an orderly fashion.

20 years was enough. U.S. involvement in "arranging" new governments they approved of, for countries they have gone to war in, and always anointing leaders the people do not want, hasn't always worked out so well..S. Vietnam. Iraq. Afghanistan. Each one a disaster of immense proportions. It was time to go.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 25th 2021 1:12 am

So we are back to the question in hand, why was the departure handled so badly?

I did not realise quite how hollow the Afghan Army was but we know the US Government did. So why did they handle it the way they did? Seems they left Allied Forces in the lurch.

I am sure this will be the subject of many books.

dakota44 Aug 25th 2021 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13044128)
So we are back to the question in hand, why was the departure handled so badly?

I did not realise quite how hollow the Afghan Army was but we know the US Government did. So why did they handle it the way they did? Seems they left Allied Forces in the lurch.

I am sure this will be the subject of many books.

I am not happy with what is happening...even though they have gotten more than 70,000 people out. Pretty impressive, to be honest. Had Trump not sold everyone out, it likely would have been many many more. It was the Trump administrations responsibility to hand of an evacuation plan. They didn't. What they did do was take an axe to the visa program that was needed to help the evacuees. It was intentional. Do a search. You can find it.

Giantaxe Aug 25th 2021 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13044128)

NATO forces knew the US was going to leave this May ever since Trump signed a deal with the Taliban early last year. But there is a certain irony that this is one issue where both Trump and Biden agree.