British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Afghanistan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/afghanistan-940140/)

Nand Aug 24th 2021 2:49 pm

Re: Afghanistan

Two living rooms, as mixing of non family with women isn't done, and that is not the very conservative muslims, just normal. A very large kitchen, servant bedroom near it. Even we had a maid, never in my life before, very inexpensive too. Ensuite for inlaws and wives. Looking for rentals without two huge living rooms, not possible.

I doubt girls and women will be leaving their homes and families as refugees. It isn't just rich people that live this way.

The thing is you will have more single men from this culture and they will be ready to leave, having learned a bit about western culture and some English from their cell phones.

Nand Aug 24th 2021 2:50 pm

Uganda and Afghanistan, different situation and people.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 24th 2021 3:27 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/24/tech/...ees/index.html

​​​​​​London (CNN Business)Airbnb has pledged to provide free housing for 20,000 Afghan refugees.

CEO Brian Chesky said Tuesday that the program would begin immediately, and that Airbnb would pay for the stays.
"The displacement and resettlement of Afghan refugees in the US and elsewhere is one of the biggest humanitarian crises of our time. We feel a responsibility to step up," Chesky said in a series of posts on Twitter.

spouse of scouse Aug 24th 2021 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13043970)
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/24/tech/...ees/index.html

​​​​​​London (CNN Business)Airbnb has pledged to provide free housing for 20,000 Afghan refugees.

CEO Brian Chesky said Tuesday that the program would begin immediately, and that Airbnb would pay for the stays.
"The displacement and resettlement of Afghan refugees in the US and elsewhere is one of the biggest humanitarian crises of our time. We feel a responsibility to step up," Chesky said in a series of posts on Twitter.

:thumbup:

Expatrick Aug 24th 2021 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Nand (Post 13043923)
How would large muslim families from Afganistan be able to afford housing in UK with no employment possibilities and no English language proficiency? The cost of rent is so high for a large family.

Part of the answer (from The Times, today)

Officials from the Home Office and Ministry of Housing are working with councils to find more accommodation, particularly for larger families...
Councils will be given grants to rent, and even buy, large family homes under plans to house Afghan families.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 24th 2021 3:58 pm

Afghanistan visas: Alexadria Ocasio-Cortez says ‘rock bottom’ should be 200,000
The New York Democrat on the number of visas the US should grant to Afghan civilians: ‘It should be whatever is necessary’

​​​​​​https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1907871.html

Expatrick Aug 24th 2021 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13043982)
Afghanistan visas: Alexadria Ocasio-Cortez says ‘rock bottom’ should be 200,000
The New York Democrat on the number of visas the US should grant to Afghan civilians: ‘It should be whatever is necessary’

​​​​​​https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1907871.html

How do these people come up with these figures?

​​​​​With an Afghan population of 38 million there could be millions of refugees.

The emphasis is (or should be) currently on those who have co operated (or as the Taliban would say "collaborated") with NATO and who are at genuine risk of reprisal, nobody knows how many others may wish to leave Afghanistan - how do you define (a) what is necessary & (b) what is practical?

Bipat Aug 24th 2021 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Nand (Post 13043966)
Uganda and Afghanistan, different situation and people.

Yes and as with all countries differences between different communities/work/ income etc. and different strictness of religious beliefs.

There have been many Afghan people previously moving to India our other home (third largest world Muslim population), without problems in settling. (Also millions from Bangladesh.)

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 24th 2021 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13043962)
Canada took in 25,000 Syrian refugees in about 5 months. Sponsorships and the Open Door Society all helped.

If anyone is curious on the outcomes, the government put out a report last year.

Annetje Aug 24th 2021 6:06 pm

There is a detail that bothers me :
Why did the evacuation start so late ?
They've know for a long time the US would leave so why wait till the last moment ?
Maybe there is a reason, I don't know so if someone knows, please enlighten me, Thanks.

Expatrick Aug 24th 2021 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 13044029)
They've know for a long time the US would leave so why wait till the last moment ?
Maybe there is a reason, I don't know so if someone knows, please enlighten me, Thanks.

And, to add to that, why did the current evacuation begin weeks after Bagram was vacated?

Jerseygirl Aug 24th 2021 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 13044029)

It was very kind of them to leave all the arms/tanks/vehicles etc behind for the Taliban/terrorists to use, rather than destroying them.

caretaker Aug 24th 2021 6:44 pm

I stand corrected; 39,606 Syrian refugees came in those 5 months.

caretaker Aug 24th 2021 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13044034)
It was very kind of them to leave all the arms/tanks/vehicles etc behind for the Taliban/terrorists to use, rather than destroying them.

Do you think they left all those arms/tanks/vehicles behind for the Taliban or do you think those arms/tanks/vehicles were left in the hopes the Afghan National Army might use them? I suspect the US planners expected defences to fold in weeks rather than days and they didn't forsee the ANA surrendering en-masse.

Expatrick Aug 24th 2021 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13044040)
Do you think they left all those arms/tanks/vehicles behind for the Taliban or do you think those arms/tanks/vehicles were left in the hopes the Afghan National Army might use them? I suspect the US planners expected defences to fold in weeks rather than days and they didn't forsee the ANA surrendering en-masse.

The Afghan army was already fully & well equipped. Golden rule - never leave behind anything that may be of use to the enemy. In their indecent haste to leave, they choose to ignore this principle, something the US has done before.