Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Afghanistan

Afghanistan

Old Aug 20th 2021, 12:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Afghanistan

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I love this and other of your life stories. So interesting
I just make sure to the illegal or embarrassing or more boring segments
Old Aug 20th 2021, 12:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Why was the Israeli currency not able to be exchanged?
Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Not sure of the details, but Israel was subject to ruinous inflation and hyperinflation.
Funny times all round. Back in those days there was even a limit on what you could buy for some holidays. I remember going to Mallorca in 1973 and my passport had to be produced at the bank and stamped with £30 (maybe?) worth of Pesetas. Anything else had to be exchanged in Spain.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 1:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Funny times all round. Back in those days there was even a limit on what you could buy for some holidays. I remember going to Mallorca in 1973 and my passport had to be produced at the bank and stamped with £30 (maybe?) worth of Pesetas. Anything else had to be exchanged in Spain.
Yes and British newspapers were full of articles with advice such as, “how can you stretch your holiday currency allowance as far as possible?” One useful wheeze that my parents used every year in those days was to buy international reply coupons at the post office. These were administered by the Universal Postal Union, the international version of sending a stamped addressed envelope when you sent off for a catalog or whatever. But you could have a sheaf of them when you travelled abroad, exchange them for postcard stamps, to save using valuable foreign currency. Biggest savings was in advanced bookings. If you had full board at the hotel, then of course you didn’t need currency for lunch and dinner in a restaurant. Resulted in some rather boring holidays.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 1:33 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Led by donkeys.

With very few exceptions, war is a racket where young people are sent to kill and die for the power and profit of others.
So true Lion.

DH and I went to a British WW1 cemetery in France a couple of years ago. It is where my maternal GF is buried. He left a wife, four children and one on the way. My mum was 3 yo. It was a beautiful day, very sunny, with all those white tombstones in rows. Hundreds of them were Canadian, hundreds with no name, and then we found my GF. He was 31 yo, and buried next to a 19 yo soldier from the same regiment as him. When we had been there about 30 mins another British couple came in - they were going to all different cemeteries on a tour out of historical interest. I said how large the cemetery was, and they said, oh this is small compared to some of them. It was a very surreal experience being there, and it really brings home to you how awful war is. Where my parents are buried in England, in a small v old church graveyard, it's next to an Army camp. Over the wall is a small cemetery where German POWs are buried from WW2. All so sad, I have looked over that wall so many times, and wondered about the lives of these men. I have never seen anyone there. All these men/women losing their lives is heartbreaking.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Led by donkeys.
Up the Khyber Pass.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

A politician is someone who will gladly lay down your life for his country
Old Aug 20th 2021, 11:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Funny you should say...war is a racket.
Marine Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler. .He was a WW1 vet and twice awarded the Medal of Honor, for his heroism during several combat tours in Central America. An excerpt from a speech he made about war.

"War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

https://fas.org/man/smedley.htm

You remember this lady?

I saw her live a couple of times, singing this song. She also wrote Universal Soldier.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 20th 2021 at 11:45 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 11:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
So true Lion.

DH and I went to a British WW1 cemetery in France a couple of years ago. It is where my maternal GF is buried. He left a wife, four children and one on the way. My mum was 3 yo. It was a beautiful day, very sunny, with all those white tombstones in rows. Hundreds of them were Canadian, hundreds with no name, and then we found my GF. He was 31 yo, and buried next to a 19 yo soldier from the same regiment as him. When we had been there about 30 mins another British couple came in - they were going to all different cemeteries on a tour out of historical interest. I said how large the cemetery was, and they said, oh this is small compared to some of them. It was a very surreal experience being there, and it really brings home to you how awful war is. Where my parents are buried in England, in a small v old church graveyard, it's next to an Army camp. Over the wall is a small cemetery where German POWs are buried from WW2. All so sad, I have looked over that wall so many times, and wondered about the lives of these men. I have never seen anyone there. All these men/women losing their lives is heartbreaking.
I have more than one dead relative from war. I remember driving across Northern France, too, and yoypu could still see the remains of the trenches across the fields.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Not sure of the details, but Israel was subject to ruinous inflation and hyperinflation. A bit like Argentina and some other countries. So, back in those days, for internal purposes, the Israeli pound (lira) was protected in its purchasing power by the government for internal consumption (buying groceries etc.,) but if you needed to buy something that was valued in dollars, like a plane ticket out of the country, you had to pay for it in dollars.

So you couldn’t exchange lira for dollars in a bank. But street-level vendors would sell you dollars, presumably they had to research the realistic rate each day and add on a reasonable fee. (Remember, no Internet in those days.) I remember Israelis telling me not to worry about being fleeced, the currency traders all had a reputation to protect and were more or less honest.
Had no idea, sounds like the 70's was an interesting time from a monetary perspective, while I was technically speaking living in the 1970's, I only joined the world in the tail end of the decade, and only spent a mere 8 months in that decade.*

*8 months outside the womb in that decade, I didn't count the time of conception to birth, so technically technically it was longer than 8 months depending how technical one wants to go.
Old Aug 21st 2021, 12:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

1979 was when Maggie got rid of them
Old Aug 21st 2021, 1:20 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
1979 was when Maggie got rid of them
Say what?
Old Aug 21st 2021, 1:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Foreign Exchange controls.

We seem to have moved on from Afghanistan.

Old Aug 21st 2021, 2:16 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
Don't forget it was the US that funded and armed the Taliban on the basis that they were fighting the USSR troops who were invited in by the Afghan government in 1989. It was on the basis of 'my enemies enemy is my friend'. You reap what you sow, unfortunately the US and UK have turned their backs.
I see this a lot, what do you mean by it?
The Russians had left Afghanistan (1989) by the time the Taliban became a thing (1994), and the Americans had largely forgotten about it all at that time. I know some of the players in the Muhajadeen went on to the Taliban. But that doesnt seem to be the same thing. I think you know this anyway, so what do you mean? (I am tempted to maybe say you are getting the Mujhadeen and Taliban conflated, but the US arming the Taliban, gets said so often, I think it must be something else)
Old Aug 21st 2021, 6:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

No particular reason other than I thought this was an interesting photo from 1983. Afghan mujahideen meeting with Reagan in the White House.

Old Aug 21st 2021, 9:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
No particular reason other than I thought this was an interesting photo from 1983. Afghan mujahideen meeting with Reagan in the White House.

Female interpreter wearing heels. Maybe the Mujahedeen didn't have the issues with women the Taliban do, no clue, don't know enough about them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.