Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

39 Vietnamese from Zeebrugge

39 Vietnamese from Zeebrugge

Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:10 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: 39 Vietnamese from Zeebrugge

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Because people smuggling gangs don’t tend to help migrants complete the appropriate visa application form. If you want to call Cape a racist then just get on with it.
How do you know they don't? It's one way of doing a large part of the journey - easier than stowing them away to cross half the world. There's every possibility that they were legally in the EU which makes it a UK border issue.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:11 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

That we don’t know. They may have entered the Schengen Area legally - as tourists - before getting on the trailer. They may have travelled legally to a transit point before entering Schengen illegally. They may have also entered Schengen directly but illegally using fraudulent documents. However it was done, they wouldn’t have been at any of the ‘Jungle’ camps (which are long gone at Calais in any case) - they would’ve been under the control of the smuggling gangs throughout the process.

Short of running the economy into the ground or turning the country into a police state, I’m not sure how you would make the UK a less desirable destination for migrants.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
How do you know they don't? It's one way of doing a large part of the journey - easier than stowing them away to cross half the world. There's every possibility that they were legally in the EU which makes it a UK border issue.
If they were able to get Schengen visas legally but had to risk their lives in the back of a lorry for the final leg instead just flying directly to London on a UK visitor visa then that would very much make it a Schengen border issue.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Well I for one know that the smuggling gangs do usually not assist them well at least if coming to Canada. Also my opinion is they were not legally in the EU before entering the UK but again I am only basing it on my experience in dealing with Immigration. You are not legally in a country if you used fraudulent documents or picture substitution in a legal passport to enter a country.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:17 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
The recent figures ending August 2019 for in between POE's (Roxham Rd) for 2019 is 10, 076.

From 2011 to 2016 the numbers for Quebec were 1665.
2017 for Quebec 18, 836
2018 for Quebec 18, 518

Also Manitoba and BC get the in between ports of entry crossers but certainly less than Quebec. Basically the papers say just over 50,000 since Trump was elected and Trudeau made his famous tweet. The numbers will also decrease due to the new regulations stating if you have made a claim for protection in another country then you are not eligible to make a claim in Canada.

Stats in below link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...um-claims.html

To compare our numbers to the US is pointless as they can get more in 1 month than what we get in a year. A point for consideration is that those caught in the US are usually sent to an ICE Detention Facility whereas Canada will put them up in a hotel, provide healthcare and assistance which is costing millions of taxpayer dollars.
Thanks. Some eye opening stats ! I'll try and find a newspaper article that references this.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Thanks. Some eye opening stats ! I'll try and find a newspaper article that references this.
Here you go

https://globalnews.ca/news/5425884/c...rease-by-half/

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/news/i...rder-crossing/

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...election-issue

https://election.ctvnews.ca/by-the-n...nada-1.4631718
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:33 pm
F.orum Ape

Awesome. Thanks FL. When I originally looked up an article the one I found and sent only seemed to confirm my friend's prejudice.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

tumbleweedly is an unknown quantity at this point

Couple of things are on my mind here. I did know Vietnamese people speak french more than english. So my only explanation as to why UK is that the pound is higher than the euro while they send money back to Vietnam to their families and to pay off the loan of, as this example, 30,000 pounds.

So some smuggler businessman, if you could call them that, made over a million pounds on that human migrant load. The trialer only cost around 300 euro to rent for a week and who knows how many loads of migrants they were able to pack in trucks and carry them from france and belgium into the UK.
I am severly depressed over this event, a horrible tragedy.

I am concerned because three migrants, vietnamese and or chinese, lived in the apartment below us. Four people shared the one bath, four room flat for several months and all moved out within a few days of each other about a month ago. Three spoke french one had no english or french at all. I don't know how they wer paying rent and we actually suspected they weren't paying rent. The landlord/ owner? for the apt lives in Belgium.

Reading about how smugglers operate, with safehouses etc. I so do hope these women were not on that lorry.

Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:48 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly View Post
Couple of things are on my mind here. I did know Vietnamese people speak french more than english. So my only explanation as to why UK is that the pound is higher than the euro while they send money back to Vietnam to their families and to pay off the loan of, as this example, 30,000 pounds.

So some smuggler businessman, if you could call them that, made over a million pounds on that human migrant load. The trialer only cost around 300 euro to rent for a week and who knows how many loads of migrants they were able to pack in trucks and carry them from france and belgium into the UK.
I am severly depressed over this event, a horrible tragedy.

I am concerned because three migrants, vietnamese and or chinese, lived in the apartment below us. Four people shared the one bath, four room flat for several months and all moved out within a few days of each other about a month ago. Three spoke french one had no english or french at all. I don't know how they wer paying rent and we actually suspected they weren't paying rent. The landlord/ owner? for the apt lives in Belgium.

Reading about how smugglers operate, with safehouses etc. I so do hope these women were not on that lorry.
I don't think the exchange rate would be a decisive factor. It could come down to community connections, perhaps this group had better connections in the UK. It is indeed a tragic story, especially when you see the Instagram style photos of the young people on the news. Having met some of them in your hallway would make it even more tangible.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Awesome. Thanks FL. When I originally looked up an article the one I found and sent only seemed to confirm my friend's prejudice.
What the Government doesnt tell you or the media doesn't tell the average Canadian is that in those seeking protection are not exactly the type of person you want in your country especially when they have been given a chance in another country such as these individuals

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...nied-1.5036625

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg...ions-1.4416301

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lity-1.4498483

https://winnipegsun.com/news/provinc...e-appeal-court
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:58 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

If they were able to get Schengen visas legally but had to risk their lives in the back of a lorry for the final leg instead just flying directly to London on a UK visitor visa then that would very much make it a Schengen border issue.
Rubbish.

For a start are the acceptance criteria the same for Schengen and UK visas? (remember the UK has a 'hostile environment' policy)

Secondly - depending upon what their reason was for wanting to come to the UK - perhaps it wouldn't suit them to put themselves on the radar by getting a visitor visa.

It is obvious that responsibility for the UK border lies with the UK.

And even if it doesn't now - it soon will.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Short of running the economy into the ground or turning the country into a police state, I’m not sure how you would make the UK a less desirable destination for migrants.
The UK does not have ID cards or compulsory registration as in other EU states, so it is easier for migrants to slip into the "black economy". Neither of these would turn the UK into a "police state", but would go a long way to controlling illegal migration or making illegal working more difficult.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Only 1% of Containers are checked, all need to be checked.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 3:51 pm
F.orum Ape

I seem to have mistitled this thread, as now it's emerging that many, maybe all of the victims were Vietnamese.

Old Oct 26th 2019, 3:54 pm
F.orum Ape

Yesterday the news reported that the container went around a few cities in NW Europe then to Zebrugge and on to Essex. Would it have travelled by container ship or just RORO ferry? I wonder how long the people were in the container? Was the refrigerator turned on?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.