Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

39 Vietnamese from Zeebrugge

39 Vietnamese from Zeebrugge

Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:09 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 39 Vietnamese from Zeebrugge

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
People have been migrating since mankind began, both between villages in the same country and across regional and national borders long before either existed.. If you like good stories, there are a few famous ones involving migration, such as as Joseph and Mary returning from where they'd moved to for a census, prior to that was the exodus of Israelites from Egypt.

If history's more your thing, apparently all human life on Earth is descended from the first humans in the Rift Valley, Africa, so we're all descended from migrants who left there. Short of fencing everyone in their respective countries, migration isn't going to stop.
It's not going to stop, but social welfare programs are going to stop if the flow is not managed. Those didn't exist in biblical times, nor in the Rift Valley as far as I know.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:13 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
I think that question is too clever for me!

I believe that anybody who assists irregular / illegal migration should be prevented from doing so.

Does that answer the question?
Quite tricky though, when a boat is in the sea. This is an issue that the whole EU needs to address.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:19 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Quite tricky though, when a boat is in the sea. This is an issue that the whole EU needs to address.
A clear & substantiated message has to be sent out - "Do not attempt to enter Europe illegally - should you do so you risk a clear & present danger of death".

To encourage people to undertake such a hazardous journey is not compassionate or clever.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:23 pm
F.orum Ape

A clear & substantiated message has to be sent out - "Do not attempt to enter Europe illegally - should you do so you risk a clear & present danger of death".

To encourage people to undertake such a hazardous journey is not compassionate or clever.
So, essentially you're saying, we've become too soft.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:25 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

So, essentially you're saying, we've become too soft.
Well I guess that's one interpretation!
Old Nov 9th 2019, 3:10 pm
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

And if they keep coming?

Do we just abandon them to the sea to drown, or shoot them? Yes, I know that's a tad over-dramatic, but I'm not a fan of people dying to save my government a few quid.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 3:16 pm
Dedicated European

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
And if they keep coming?

Do we just abandon them to the sea to drown, or shoot them? Yes, I know that's a tad over-dramatic, but I'm not a fan of people dying to save my government a few quid.
It's not about saving a few quid.

If the NGOs want to pick them up, fine, provided they ship them back to Libya.
Facilitating illegal immigration is wrong. It is also wrong for the NGOs to pick them up & then dump them on the Italians, etc - a classic case of authority (self awarded) without responsibility. Part (just part) of the problem is the migrants belief in being "rescued" after setting out.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a subject where the EU disagrees. No country wants these migrants. Some pretend to want them e.g. Germany. But in the end the country which allows these NGO boats to dock is stuck with the migrants as the promises from "takers" are quickly forgotten.

Old Nov 9th 2019, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not about saving a few quid.

If the NGOs want to pick them up, fine, provided they ship them back to Libya.
Facilitating illegal immigration is wrong. It is also wrong for the NGOs to pick them up & then dump them on the Italians, etc - a classic case of authority (self awarded) without responsibility. Part (just part) of the problem is the migrants belief in being "rescued" after setting out.
As far as I know the rescued only need to be taken back to the nearest port. No need to ship them to the desired destination.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 3:43 pm
Dedicated European

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
As far as I know the rescued only need to be taken back to the nearest port. No need to ship them to the desired destination.
Precisely.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 2:23 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

It's not going to stop, but social welfare programs are going to stop if the flow is not managed. Those didn't exist in biblical times, nor in the Rift Valley as far as I know.
Finally we agree on something!