Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Zara fever hits Australia

Zara fever hits Australia

Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:55 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Zara fever hits Australia

AUSTRALIAN shoppers are in the grip of "Zara fever", with the frenzied Sydney launch the biggest ever for the Spanish clothing giant.

The opening of Zara has also boosted sales within the new Westfield Sydney, bucking the trend in the slump faced by shopping centres and retailers across the country.

Customers repeatedly cleared the shelves of Zara when it opened on Wednesday, with many queuing outside for hours to get in.

Within three minutes of the fast-fashion icon opening at 9am, 80 per cent of the stock had been sold. Visiting Spanish executives were forced to work on the floor, de-tagging outfits and replenishing merchandise.

Zara's chief communications director Jesus Echevarria said: "I've never seen anything like it. We've had great launches before but this is the biggest. Customers showed so many signs of affection and gratitude that we are all impressed."
http://www.news.com.au/business/zara...-1226043948923

Can anyone explain to me why the likes of Zara do so well? Surely they just sell similar products to other high street fashion chains?
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:31 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zara fever hits Australia

Zara used to have really great stuff at reasonable prices with quality materials, silk and wool etc. I have had some really good buys. Now it seems overpriced. Suppose it depends on the competition in Sydney. I once remember a similar press release from Top shop when Kate Moss revealed her collection...wasn't true of course
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Zara used to have really great stuff at reasonable prices with quality materials, silk and wool etc. I have had some really good buys. Now it seems overpriced. Suppose it depends on the competition in Sydney. I once remember a similar press release from Top shop when Kate Moss revealed her collection...wasn't true of course
So you are the Kate Moss of Zara then
Old May 1st 2011, 9:15 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

A very interesting article on Inditex, the owner of Zara,, its success last year (net profits increased 32% to 1.73 billion Euros) and how it operates.

The seemingly unstoppable growth of the almost 50-year-old company comes two years after Inditex overtook US chain Gap to become the world’s largest clothing retailer and five years after it surpassed H&M to take the top spot in Europe.

Loved by fans of fast-fashion, the key to Inditex’s success lies in its remarkable geographic diversification in recent years and a business model that has allowed it to put the latest fashions in its stores at breakneck speed.

“The success of the model lies in being able to adapt what you’re offering in the shortest time possible to what clients want,” says an Inditex spokesperson. “For Inditex, time is the principal factor to take into account, more so than the costs of production.”

Almost all the phases of developing and selling a new product are carried out in-house — from design and production to logistics and sales – and shop staff are encouraged, even expected, to keep Inditex designers in touch with any fashion trends as soon as they spot them.

Inditex has managed to get so far, so fast largely through the use of innovative management and logistics techniques, which have now become the subject of studies in business schools around the world.

For a company which spends very little on advertising, its shops have always been its principal marketing tool. Many are purpose-built to look like fashion boutiques, located on prime real estate in city centre high streets and malls around the world.
http://iberosphere.com/2011/03/spain-economy-2444/2444
Old May 2nd 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this was about Zara Philips lol
Old May 2nd 2011, 5:22 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Kate was wearing a Zara dress when they left in the Helicopter the day after the wedding.
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I would be the same if Tesco came here!
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:33 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I would be the same if Tesco came here!
Tesco have missed their chance in western Europe - Carrefour are the big players there.
I'm not a big fan of Tesco (despite having worked for them many years ago). My favourite supermarket in the UK is Sainsburys. Waitrose are good too, if a little pricey.
Old May 3rd 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Tesco have missed their chance in western Europe - Carrefour are the big players there.
I'm not a big fan of Tesco (despite having worked for them many years ago). My favourite supermarket in the UK is Sainsburys. Waitrose are good too, if a little pricey.
You can´t compare Carrefour to UK supermarkets. I visited a Waitrose when back in the UK last was impressed especially by the fact that they had bars of marzipan with chocolate on top. Yummy.