Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Youths charged for cómpeta murder

Youths charged for cómpeta murder

Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:02 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Youths charged for cómpeta murder

I wonder why the Police or the Mayor doesn't stop it when they rely so much on tourism.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:14 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mean this unkindly, but there has always been inbreeding in isolated areas, meaning that everybody's related to everybody else. When the Competa case first went to court, the mayor went along because he was related to several of the defendants.

Again, not unkindly, I believe he has since been arrested for corruption, like quite a few other mayors in the area.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:47 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

As far as I know, it wasn't the Mayor... he's just been voted in again for another term so I seriously doubt it was him. Please let's stop Competa bashing now. Also, I am often in the plaza having coffee or lunch and there is maybe the odd one or two at the most motos come up or down in an hour or so.. not quite the silverstone portrayed by some people here.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:59 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnK
As far as I know, it wasn't the Mayor... he's just been voted in again for another term so I seriously doubt it was him. Please let's stop Competa bashing now. Also, I am often in the plaza having coffee or lunch and there is maybe the odd one or two at the most motos come up or down in an hour or so.. not quite the silverstone portrayed by some people here.
I don't think that's quite fair, it's not the place that is getting bashed, but 17 of its young people who beat an elderly British expat to death in their town.

You live there and I can understand your anxiety, and I sympathise, but isn't it also important to point out the dangers facing expats when they move to Spain?

We're talking about an extreme example here, but it happened, and less extreme examples are quite common in other parts of Spain.

Elderly expats going out for coffee and lunch are quite safe, but teenage Brits trying to find nightlife in Spanish areas need to be aware that there are dangers, made much worse by current youth unemployment levels of above 40%.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:53 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HBG
I don't think that's quite fair, it's not the place that is getting bashed, but 17 of its young people who beat an elderly British expat to death in their town.

You live there and I can understand your anxiety, and I sympathise, but isn't it also important to point out the dangers facing expats when they move to Spain?

We're talking about an extreme example here, but it happened, and less extreme examples are quite common in other parts of Spain.

Elderly expats going out for coffee and lunch are quite safe, but teenage Brits trying to find nightlife in Spanish areas need to be aware that there are dangers, made much worse by current youth unemployment levels of above 40%.

I think possibly alcohol and testosterone were more at fault than anything else. But for the fact that everyone had had too much to drink, this would not have escalated into the sad events that it did. That was my point.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 9:09 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JnK
I think possibly alcohol and testosterone were more at fault than anything else. But for the fact that everyone had had too much to drink, this would not have escalated into the sad events that it did. That was my point.
I agree, and it could have happened anywhere.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 9:35 am
Just Joined

hudson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HBG

I think you should read the following link for a bit more clarification: http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-ne...-his-children/

Obviously a terrible incident that can happen, but is nowhere near a common occurence here in Spain. I don't think 49 is elderly so don't twist the sentiment on this.
I find the Spanish friendly and completely unintimidating unlike going to a pub you don't know in the UK. How would this thread be if a Spanish man/youth had been killed by an Englishman? I think it's the case of being more sensitive to the locals especially in a small village. Of course there is no justification for this death, an unfortunate isolated incident and no need to start talking about inbreeds, more respect for local culture I think.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of points I will make firstly agoreira I was intending humour with my comment re tattoos I do not believe they have ever been compulsory in the Forces just in the early 70's in the outfit I was in most had them, sheep maybe. I was just trying to have a little light hearted humour with JNK.
Secondly is to JNK I have not intended to in anyway put down Competa as I have said in my opinion a very nice village enjoyed a few holidays there and still enjoy visiting when I am over at my house. The comment re Moto's as I have said would apply to the majority of Spanish villages and in Competa is probably more noticible with it the square and restaurants being at the top of the steep hill where no doubt again testosterone plays its part when the young lads like to demonstrate there skill at the wheelie or lack off in some cases. It does not put me off visiting. It is just an opinion as is my view of the area near to the balcon where this tragic incident took place not my favourite part of Competa before or after this incident (dont know why) but fantastic views.
By the way if you do ban me for having my dodgy tattoos I will be gutted as no more of that lovely calamari, you can't get it as good as that in Sayalonga.
As I have said before lets wait for the outcome in court re this incident when hopefully all the fact will be disclosed rather than speculation. I'm sure there is more to the incident than we know only the people involved know the full truth sadly one is no longer here .

Last edited by bobd22; Jul 14th 2011 at 1:31 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:35 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

Competa is very welcoming... come back anytime
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnK
Competa is very welcoming... come back anytime
Thanks for that I will enjoy my calamari in September
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:01 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hudson
I think you should read the following link for a bit more clarification: http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-ne...-his-children/

Obviously a terrible incident that can happen, but is nowhere near a common occurence here in Spain. I don't think 49 is elderly so don't twist the sentiment on this.
I find the Spanish friendly and completely unintimidating unlike going to a pub you don't know in the UK. How would this thread be if a Spanish man/youth had been killed by an Englishman? I think it's the case of being more sensitive to the locals especially in a small village. Of course there is no justification for this death, an unfortunate isolated incident and no need to start talking about inbreeds, more respect for local culture I think.
Thank you for the link. Far be it for me to start an argument with a newcomer and perhaps my inbreeding remark could have been made differently; my point was that it is quite usual for isolated places to have many people related to each other. Competa and other mountain villages in the region haven't always been as accessible as they are now.

As for respecting Spanish culture, I do.

Last edited by HBG; Jul 14th 2011 at 2:07 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:19 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think they will just be found guilty of involuntary homicide and get a slap on the hand

If not you can come on here and tell me I am wrong
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:33 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnK

I dont "bashing" is the right term.

It is a fact that whenever a "situation" happens, the place that it happens in is always brought to mind.

Dumblaine, is one, Liverpool and the Jamie Bulger case is another, just a fact of life.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:29 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont "bashing" is the right term.

It is a fact that whenever a "situation" happens, the place that it happens in is always brought to mind.

Dumblaine, is one, Liverpool and the Jamie Bulger case is another, just a fact of life.
Tell me about it... I have the dubious distinction of being born in Edlington too... and we all know what that brings to mind.