British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Youths charged for cómpeta murder (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/youths-charged-c%C3%B3mpeta-murder-724463/)

jackytoo Jul 11th 2011 12:01 pm

Youths charged for cómpeta murder

Was going to tack it on to the old thread (what happened in competa) but it was closed.

Two years after a British man was murdered in cómpeta 17 youths have been charged. 5 have been charged with murder and the rest with assault etc.

http://www.diariosur.es/v/20110711/m...-20110711.html

HBG Jul 11th 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Youths charged for cómpeta murder

I had been house hunting in the area just before the incident and had previously lived in the Malaga province, though not in a small Spanish mountain town.

I think it's the same the world over, but foreigners bursting into a rural community where educational awareness may not be as high is in more populated areas need to be aware that they may not be as welcome as expected, especially when there is high unemployment.

In case that sounds anti-Spanish, which is not intended, English holiday homes have been set on fire in rural Wales, and Sassenachs in the Highlands of Scotland frequently have a hard time of it. And so do Londoners trying to settle in Cornwall.

On top of that it appears that alcohol and drugs played a major part in the regrettable incident in Competa, on both sides.

Here is a report in English:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_31250.shtml

marqueemoon Jul 11th 2011 11:50 pm

This is interesting. When I first came down here I visited Competa. It is obviously an expat haven but also pretty run down in places.

Also I was talking to a friend tonight and we wondered, given the pathetic social security help here (if you read the Daily Mail you might think that an incentive), why there is no reaction in this town to no jobs, no hope etc. And that is true.

We thought maybe the family support stops a backlash against european foreigners working illegally (as well as the non competitive Senagalse) and the non working retirees.

I am not surprised that the youth who aren't getting the benefit of the tourism their parents benefited from are unhappy. Dog knows how bad it is in Competa now but here on the coast there are no jobs for teen spanish. How could there be in a tourist town which has potential employees for the service jobs (what else) queuing up to be illegal

agoreira Jul 12th 2011 7:44 am

Originally Posted by marqueemoon (Post 9489624)

I am not surprised that the youth who aren't getting the benefit of the tourism their parents benefited from are unhappy.

It's one thing being unhappy, it's another thing killing someone because of it. You seem woefully short of accurate info in this case, there's lots of assumptions. Do you know the kids aren't working, do you know they are poor? I think you'll find the Brit killed was visiting, he's hadn't taken anyone's job. I know someone that brought property off the family of one of the boys involved, and I can assure you they ain't broke. To be still drinking at four in the morning I wouldn't think the rest were broke either.
Thankfully some of the locals don't share your understanding of the local thugs. Hopefully they'll throw the book at them, same as I would want if they were British.

la estrella errante
chusmerio barriobajero yque valientes 17 contra 1,esto pasa por que no hay castigo si se cumplieran las penas integras..Dios mio que han matadoa una persona por una gilipollez,tendrian que recordarle todos los dias lo que hicieron para que vivieran con ese remordimiento
A favor (79) En contra (2)
Comentario inadecuado Comentario inadecuado
11/Jul/2011 | 03:12:14
qué pena y qué asco
Tolerancia cero con el matonismo barriobajero. Es como si lo viera: alguno de los ingleses tontea con la chica y resulta que el ex novio va a por él a matar. Y termina matando. Qué asco. Qué violencia más gratuita y más absurda. El pobre guiri viene a Málaga a pasárselo bien y termina muriendo. Lamentable.
A favor (103) En contra (4)
Comentario inadecuado Comentario inadecuado

marqueemoon Jul 12th 2011 8:17 am

I wasn't justifying anything. I too hope the offenders are dealt with as severely as the law allows. But that does not mean I am wrong to raise the issue of whether there are growing tensions between communities.

Domino Jul 12th 2011 10:25 am

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9488288)
I had been house hunting in the area just before the incident and had previously lived in the Malaga province, though not in a small Spanish mountain town.

I think it's the same the world over, but foreigners bursting into a rural community where educational awareness may not be as high is in more populated areas need to be aware that they may not be as welcome as expected, especially when there is high unemployment.

In case that sounds anti-Spanish, which is not intended, English holiday homes have been set on fire in rural Wales, and Sassenachs in the Highlands of Scotland frequently have a hard time of it. And so do Londoners trying to settle in Cornwall.

On top of that it appears that alcohol and drugs played a major part in the regrettable incident in Competa, on both sides.

Here is a report in English:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_31250.shtml

as you say, the same can and does apply in the UK, where in some towns the only people who seem to have the money to buy houses are from asian communities, seemingly to have pots of money and also holding a number of buy-to-let properties. I know from experience they work very hard.......to drive down house prices to unsustainable levels to reap the benefit later.

we have had low level unrest and even a murder or two for sectarian reasons but nothing overt on a regular basis, although the white girls being groomed for sex by asians is causing a little stir.

Integration is something that takes time, be it an individual or a group, and has to be from both sides. having enclaves only makes things worse as everyone seems to be looking in not out.

jackytoo Jul 12th 2011 11:20 am

When the bar owner advised them to stay inside I wonder why he did not call the police, or maybe he did and they didn't attend:confused:

It is not just a matter of foreigners integrating around málaga pueblos, there are frequent altercations between youths in different villages at weekends.

Domino Jul 12th 2011 11:28 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9490416)
When the bar owner advised them to stay inside I wonder why he did not call the police, or maybe he did and they didn't attend:confused:

It is not just a matter of foreigners integrating around málaga pueblos, there are frequent altercations between youths in different villages at weekends.

well that happened in the Uk back in the 50's and 60's so nothing really changes
usually its about "territory" and regrettably someone getting inbetween can be in the wrong place. drink only makes people more brave for a limited period - except me cos I just fall asleep :)

HBG Jul 12th 2011 11:35 am

When we visited Competa on our house hunting trip, we sat in the Square on a quiet time of day and marvelled at the quaintness and friendliness of the local people. We appeared to be the only foreigners around at the time, it was in the winter.

Having witnessed the scene on two occasions, we were impressed, 'real' Spain only 20 minutes from Nerja and Torrox? I found a video earlier, aimed at holidaymakers and nothing like the tranquillity we experienced, without holidaymakers:

http://www.spain-holiday.com/Competa

It seems hard to imagine that those friendly local people, a large mob of them, beat an elderly British resident to death and severely injured his son and the son's friend, but by all accounts that's exactly what happened and 17 local Spaniards are now before the courts, two years later.

Maybe the only valid comment to be made is that Spanish people are just as disgusted by what happened as we are.

bobd22 Jul 12th 2011 12:21 pm

Reading through these posts there seems to be a few things coming out an acceptance of racism if the Spanish don't like you it's ok to fight even kill. Are the spanish the only ones suffering from current economic situation maybe not if you look around the UK or even at some ex pats in Spain making do on a lot less than they did or expected to do. I was of the believe that the EU was about European intirgration freedom of movement etc maybe miss read that as well. To have a personal dislike of someones race wealth or whatever is fine that's human nature to act upon this dislike or treat people differently is discrimination no matter how you look at it. One thing though we should always remember in these situations we are in a foreign country and of a different culture, easier to remember when sober maybe.
In this case my understanding there were a lot of things involved certainly alcohol, mention of drugs ? certainly a female whereby jealousy was involved ex partner etc, was she being intentionally provocative with the British knowing her ex disliked the brits?. If the people were invited to stay in the bar after the aggressors left, if or when the police were called. Surely that's what the Trial is for to establish the facts and not go on gossip or half truths. I suggest waiting for the outcome of that and go on facts rather than tittle tattle.

agoreira Jul 12th 2011 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9490440)
When we visited Competa on our house hunting trip, we sat in the Square on a quiet time of day and marvelled at the quaintness and friendliness of the local people. We appeared to be the only foreigners around at the time, it was in the winter.

We first visited it nearly 30 years ago, and it seemed like that most of the time!;) A few guiris, and most of them seemed to be Scandinavians. We still have friends living outside Canillas de Albáida, the village next door, so we still visit them, but Cómpeta itself became far too "britified" for us.

jackytoo Jul 12th 2011 1:59 pm

I know the place fairly well. Haven't been there for a few years but I always thought cómpeta got a better "quality" Brit than say Fuengirola. Has that changed?

bobd22 Jul 12th 2011 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9490649)
I know the place fairly well. Haven't been there for a few years but I always thought cómpeta got a better "quality" Brit than say Fuengirola. Has that changed?

I visit a couple of times a year, we have a place down the hill in Sayalonga, I have stayed a few times in Competa in the past for holidays. I still find it a nice place to visit especially for a meal in the square although can be a bit noise'y with the moto's but that's only complaint I would make. Strangely enough I have never liked up around where this incident happened much even before this incident didn't have the same feeling as the rest of the village. Although the views etc and little church on from the hotel are very pretty. Sometimes in the square you do get the feeling that the foreigners are taking over a bit, however like anywhere I sense that depends on which group are out at the time.

JnK Jul 12th 2011 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9490649)

No it hasn't changed... although I think the "quality" Brit that you speak of sneaks in everywhere in the holiday season ;)

JnK Jul 12th 2011 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 9490676)
I visit a couple of times a year, we have a place down the hill in Sayalonga, I have stayed a few times in Competa in the past for holidays. I still find it a nice place to visit especially for a meal in the square although can be a bit noise'y with the moto's but that's only complaint I would make. Strangely enough I have never liked up around where this incident happened much even before this incident didn't have the same feeling as the rest of the village. Although the views etc and little church on from the hotel are very pretty. Sometimes in the square you do get the feeling that the foreigners are taking over a bit, however like anywhere I sense that depends on which group are out at the time.

Visit us in winter and you'll see a much quieter, quainter Competa imo :thumbup: