Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Your feelings when you moved back to the Uk.

Your feelings when you moved back to the Uk.

Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your feelings when you moved back to the Uk.

Originally Posted by Neptuno
It's not very surprising why some move back to UK
Just a few ideas!
Unfair variances in regional laws eg IHT Allowances abolished in Murcia, increased in Valencia.
Complicated tax system and laws
Frustratingly slow bureaucracy
Being told to"see a lawyer" if having problems, eneding up paying him more than you are owed or claiming!
New assets law requiring v detailed private info, with draconian fines for minor mistakes
Conflicting and inaccurate advice from experts, especially about income tax
Wrongly believing that Spain is cheaper and less stressful
Expensive electricity
Lack of support and aftercare in Spanish NHS, for people with long term conditions dementia, strokes, MS etc
Care homes are only for the wealthy-how do you cope?
Lack of support .if having problems with utilities eg inaccurate huge bills, being cut off, even if you are in the right.
Cruelty to animals
Missing family-Skype no substitute for hug!
More expensive flights
Everybody elses fault except their own then?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Everybody elses fault except their own then?
So, which of these things on the list don't you agree with, which could be termed as someone's fault?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crookesey
I quite like smart vans, business cards, smart appearance, professional invoices etc, not Jack the lad with a toolbox and a clapped out car, just do in Spain what you would do in the UK.
If we need anything doing that my OH can't/doesn't want to do himself, we ask for a recommendation from someone we trust. We've never been let down or ripped off by anybody who we've employed via that route.

After one initial bad experience we are now very suspicious of Brits who tend to "pounce" on new arrivals and ingratiate themselves, with the ulterior motive of making money out of them, be it from building work, looking after holiday homes, or whatever.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
So, which of these things on the list don't you agree with, which could be termed as someone's fault?
Well, all of them have some truth in them. If you moved to Spain in complete ignorance then they could be a shock to you. But they are exagerrated and none of them are barriers unless you want them to be

My wife and I moved to Spain at 27 years old and with just 10k in the bank. We are doing very well thank you, but then we moved here for the right reasons and were well prepared

The main problem young British people have when they move to Spain is that they have come to relax and enjoy the weather and beaches etc. Yes you can do that in your spare time, but you have to work hard to be able to "afford" your spare time. And in order to work hard you need to be well educated, great work experience,fluent Spanish speakers, good at networking etc. And of course have a good slice of luck

Many British expats that come to Spain (who are not retired) think it will just be a long holiday, or they can work part time in something they have little experience in, and then expect to have a great lifestyle. Life doesnt work like that. Historically those Brits who have had a good lifestyle in Spain are the ones who sold their houses in the UK and lived on the profits. Few have ever been able to work and build a life for themselves actually within Spain, because Spain doesnt need their services or skills

The few who do this are probably the English journos and teachers, of which there is a splattering across Spain, and they are not in the tourist areas. If you live in a tourist area then you will probably be living like a tourist, and so it should be no surprise when your funds run out and you have to go home, like every tourist must do

Last edited by cricketman; Nov 19th 2013 at 2:39 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:30 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Well, all of them have some truth in them. If you moved to Spain in complete ignorance then they could be a shock to you. But they are exagerrated and none of them are barriers unless you want them to be

My wife and I moved to Spain at 27 years old and with just 10k in the bank. We are doing very well thank you, but then we moved here for the right reasons and were well prepared

The main problem young British people have when they move to Spain is that they have come to relax and enjoy the weather and beaches etc. Yes you can do that in your spare time, but you have to work hard to be able to "afford" your spare time. And in order to work hard you need to be well educated, great work experience,fluent Spanish speakers, good at networking etc. And of course have a good slice of luck

Many British expats that come to Spain (who are not retired) think it will just be a long holiday, or they can work part time in something they have little experience in, and then expect to have a great lifestyle. Life doesnt work like that. Historically those Brits who have had a good lifestyle in Spain are the ones who sold their houses in the UK and lived on the profits. Few have ever been able to work and build a life for themselves actually within Spain, because Spain doesnt need their services or skills

The few who do this are probably the English journos and teachers, of which there is a splattering across Spain, and they are not in the tourist areas. If you live in a tourist area then you will probably be living like a tourist, and so it should be no surprise when your funds run out and you have to go home, like every tourist must do
While I agree with your main points, mainly about the relaxed lifestyle, and enjoying the sun, which must be done in spare time and the most important is to work hard.

The point I don´t agree on however, is having to declare our UK assets or bank account balances to hacienda.

In our case the potential cost, (that have yet to be decided) in taxes and such, is enough to make the OH decide that it is not worth staying in Spain as a resident.

We have seen a few nice places in Portugal not far from the Spanish border and will be having a half year rental, when we find the right place.

We will still have to be paying the cuota to the SS in Spain, (which we don´t mind) and tax on Spanish earnings, but we will have our tax residency in the UK.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Why don´t you go back to Devon but somewhere else, i.e. Exeter.
Or somewhere else around Plymouth, I have family in Plymstock, Tavistock, Newton Ferrers and Noss Mayo, if I ever moved back to that area, I'd probably settle for any of those.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:46 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Well Im no novice at moving back.This will be the third time so I already know how I will feel.....time to give up on my spanish dream now maybe.
There are lots of posts from retired members and TBH they have it much easier than the people with families to think of.

so maybe you could be working to retire to Spain, when your income will not be hit and miss, and it is better late than never.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
There are lots of posts from retired members and TBH they have it much easier than the people with families to think of.

so maybe you could be working to retire to Spain, when your income will not be hit and miss, and it is better late than never.
Who knows?We just cant walk away from this and pretend it never happened.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:02 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Why should anyone, Spanish or not, deal with someone just because they have come to live in Spain? In the UK immigrants have brought their food to tempt us, and tempt us it has, but every Greater Asian kid can't afford to open a restaurant, so what new innovative ideas do they have?

Spain needs businesses that employ Spanish people, I don't think that it's British/Irish pubs or Poundland shops that are required, but the likes of Aldi and Lidl have prospered in Spain, as have MacDonalds, Burger King and Starbucks, but where were the Brits when all of this was going on?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why should anyone, Spanish or not, deal with someone just because they have come to live in Spain? In the UK immigrants have brought their food to tempt us, and tempt us it has, but every Greater Asian kid can't afford to open a restaurant, so what new innovative ideas do they have?

Spain needs businesses that employ Spanish people, I don't think that it's British/Irish pubs or Poundland shops that are required, but the likes of Aldi and Lidl have prospered in Spain, as have MacDonalds, Burger King and Starbucks, but where were the Brits when all of this was going on?
Its about aspirations. Brits aspire to live in the sun near the beach, or maybe with a nice view in the country. They dont aspire to be working in the same job they would have in the UK, but just in a different language and a lower salary
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:07 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me

Agree. Starting a business is hard enough when in your own country and a common language. There are times when you can't "have it all" and have to work and reap the benefits later. Jojo has the right attitude...maybe later.

I have seen so many living from hand to mouth doing odd jobs, airport runs etc. Not unusual to be asked for a loan to pay their fare home they leave it until the last minute to leave.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

I have seen so many living from hand to mouth doing odd jobs, airport runs etc. Not unusual to be asked for a loan to pay their fare home they leave it until the last minute to leave.
Agree, I have also met a lot of those. Not leaving until they are literally penniless is something I can never understand. Surely in 99.9% of cases they don't lose their money overnight, it must be obvious a long time before that situation is reached that money is draining away. If people faced up to that reality (as I'm sure the OP is doing, and she and her family have my sympathy for the difficulties they've experienced) they could go back to the UK with enough money to rent a place for 2/3 months to give them a chance to find work, and not need to struggle with things like the HRT and trying to claim benefits.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:18 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

There is a Danish store called Tiger stores that is doing well in Madrid - there are several outlets just opened up, and I'm sure they're doing the same in London.
Primark appears to do well, but that's Irish I believe? Ikea and Apple are also opening over Spain.
The only Brit retail outfit I can remember in Spain was Marks and Spencer - but they closed up most of them around 10 years ago, although I've been told they're back on the cds. Spanish companies like Zara, Mango even Santander are far more common on the British high street.
Irish pubs though - they seem to be everywhere..
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
The only Brit retail outfit I can remember in Spain was Marks and Spencer - but they closed up most of them around 10 years ago, although I've been told they're back on the cds. Spanish companies like Zara, Mango even Santander are far more common on the British high street.
Irish pubs though - they seem to be everywhere..
That's true, I can't think of a single British company that has a presence in Spain, on the high street that is
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:51 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

That's true, I can't think of a single British company that has a presence in Spain, on the high street that is
Just remembered, I've seen a couple of Clarks shoe outlets here in Madrid. I don't know if they're franchises or directly run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.