Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Your feelings when you moved back to the Uk.

Your feelings when you moved back to the Uk.

Old Nov 19th 2013, 10:48 am
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your feelings when you moved back to the Uk.

I've never really harboured thoughts of working in Spain, other than the obvious bar/cafes, restaurants, estate agents and the professions, what jobs do Brits do in Spain? I've seen a few sign written vans offering UK Sky TV service, my mate's gardener is a Brit, as are his pair of cleaners, but I could never have replicated either of my UK career paths in Spain. Was Spain bursting at the seams with British joiners, electricians, plumbers etc?

I'm sure that the answer is simple, but I can't for the life of me think of it.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 10:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry that you're going back when you clearly don't want to

I remember your early posts when you were so excited about moving here - & I know it hasn't always been a smooth journey

sadly there are so very many returning who don't want to - most seem to settle back in though - & as chiclanagir says you'll have good family around to help you

last week my 17 year old said goodbye to the very last English girl who she has known since we moved here 10 years ago - they had been here several years by the time we came here - but they have now returned to the UK

her younger sister was a baby when they came, so can't remember living there - & they actually have family here in Spain - it's going to be very hard for them

keep in touch
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I'm so sorry that you're going back when you clearly don't want to

I remember your early posts when you were so excited about moving here - & I know it hasn't always been a smooth journey

sadly there are so very many returning who don't want to - most seem to settle back in though - & as chiclanagir says you'll have good family around to help you

last week my 17 year old said goodbye to the very last English girl who she has known since we moved here 10 years ago - they had been here several years by the time we came here - but they have now returned to the UK

her younger sister was a baby when they came, so can't remember living there - & they actually have family here in Spain - it's going to be very hard for them

keep in touch
Well Im no novice at moving back.This will be the third time so I already know how I will feel.....time to give up on my spanish dream now maybe.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

Do you know why people are going back lynnxa?

I guess it is mainly for monetry reasons? Are their businesses failing? Is it because they were mainly servicing an expat population and so as it falls so does their business?

If so, it will be a vicious cycle
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Well Im no novice at moving back.This will be the third time so I already know how I will feel.....time to give up on my spanish dream now maybe.
Can I ask, do you have jobs to go back to in the UK? Or do you think your business will work better there?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:16 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crookesey
I've never really harboured thoughts of working in Spain, other than the obvious bar/cafes, restaurants, estate agents and the professions, what jobs do Brits do in Spain? I've seen a few sign written vans offering UK Sky TV service, my mate's gardener is a Brit, as are his pair of cleaners, but I could never have replicated either of my UK career paths in Spain. Was Spain bursting at the seams with British joiners, electricians, plumbers etc?

I'm sure that the answer is simple, but I can't for the life of me think of it.
I think there are probably "2 Spains" (not the first time this has been said).
Here in Madrid, and I imagine it'd be similar in Barcelona, the majority of Brits and Irish working here tend to be in teaching and publishing. I know a few who've got work in IT, and there are various speciality shops eg stationary, tea and cakes, second hand books etc. There are also those who sell via the net. There are even a few who work in journalism (or earn money from writing) but not many can be a Sid Lowe or a Graham Hunter. Even fewer can reach the status of gestor, but I know at least one. And of course there are those who've started, or work in a Irish pub. Same as the UK, you wouldn't advise people looking for work to move to Cornwall, and it must be hard outside of peak season to get work on the Costas...
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Can I ask, do you have jobs to go back to in the UK? Or do you think your business will work better there?
Its very difficult to explain...our source of income is from the internet but the site has been suffering from a google penalty for a while now which is taking so long to correct...this penalty has been caused by others who wish to see our business fail..a very long story.

This is how we find ourselves in this situation.Simply its taking too long to mend and we cant hang on and cannot live on my teaching earnings alone.In the UK he will find work to tide us over and also I can go back to online selling which I did before we moved here..It was impossible for me to continue that here because of postage costs etc.

He will also be able to do something legally to stop the site bombardment and hopefully get our income back again.We have needed family help and the only way they will help is if we move back.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crookesey
Was Spain bursting at the seams with British joiners, electricians, plumbers etc?
It was bursting at the seams with Brits who'd reinvented themselves as such once they arrived at Malaga airport!

I met one who'd been a baggage handler at Heathrow but now claimed to be a painter and decorator. We didn't hire him! I've also met people who worked as a garage mechanic with no qualifications/training, and any number of builders/plumbers etc. All now no longer here. It used to annoy my OH because he was a fully qualified plumber when he was younger (5 year apprenticeship and Advanced City & Guilds) to see these cowboys bodging jobs and charging way more than the Spanish tradesmen.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:46 am
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
It was bursting at the seams with Brits who'd reinvented themselves as such once they arrived at Malaga airport!

I met one who'd been a baggage handler at Heathrow but now claimed to be a painter and decorator. We didn't hire him! I've also met people who worked as a garage mechanic with no qualifications/training, and any number of builders/plumbers etc. All now no longer here. It used to annoy my OH because he was a fully qualified plumber when he was younger (5 year apprenticeship and Advanced City & Guilds) to see these cowboys bodging jobs and charging way more than the Spanish tradesmen.
That sounds about right Lynn, as a Yorkshireman I'm a cynic from birth and very reticent about perpetuating the stay in Spain of the UK's worst, by giving them my business.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot move back because of the children. Either they are not doing well in the Spanish school system or else they are on the verge of leaving school and there are no jobs for them.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:19 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Do you know why people are going back lynnxa?

I guess it is mainly for monetry reasons? Are their businesses failing? Is it because they were mainly servicing an expat population and so as it falls so does their business?

If so, it will be a vicious cycle
most have gone back for financial reasons - some (many come to think of it) have also had marriages fail as well - maybe the financial issues have contributed to that or vice versa

for some it was never a 'forever' move - or the children went through International school & need to be back in the UK for further education or work - & the whole family goes

there is one other family still here who we met when we first came - but the elder daughter (17) is already back in the UK & we hear that when the younger is 16 (she's 14 now) the family is planning to go back - I don't know if they will though

the good news is that we have had a massive influx of Brits into our town in the past few months - many have the husband in the forces or working offshore, & others have UK businesses which can be run online with a few trips now & then - so they aren't relying upon the local economy for an income

in the past year though I have met a few young families who came over & tried to get businesses going - all have gone back to the UK - except one, but there is an online income there too

Last edited by lynnxa; Nov 19th 2013 at 1:52 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:29 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good series on expats based in Spain. Since they've stayed around, it's possible they have good tips on how to get and keep their work going. The usual estate agents and writers in there though..

http://www.spainbuddy.com/category/l...expat-hotseat/
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't be fair to tar all British expats who come here to work or set up businesses as fly-by-nights - I do know of some who run businesses providing a good service. Our broadband supplier is one, and I hear nothing but good reports of an air-conditioning business and a British-run car repair business based not far away.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lynn R
It wouldn't be fair to tar all British expats who come here to work or set up businesses as fly-by-nights - I do know of some who run businesses providing a good service. Our broadband supplier is one, and I hear nothing but good reports of an air-conditioning business and a British-run car repair business based not far away.
I quite like smart vans, business cards, smart appearance, professional invoices etc, not Jack the lad with a toolbox and a clapped out car, just do in Spain what you would do in the UK.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

It's not very surprising why some move back to UK
Just a few ideas!
Unfair variances in regional laws eg IHT Allowances abolished in Murcia, increased in Valencia.
Complicated tax system and laws
Frustratingly slow bureaucracy
Being told to"see a lawyer" if having problems, eneding up paying him more than you are owed or claiming!
New assets law requiring v detailed private info, with draconian fines for minor mistakes
Conflicting and inaccurate advice from experts, especially about income tax
Wrongly believing that Spain is cheaper and less stressful
Expensive electricity
Lack of support and aftercare in Spanish NHS, for people with long term conditions dementia, strokes, MS etc
Care homes are only for the wealthy-how do you cope?
Lack of support .if having problems with utilities eg inaccurate huge bills, being cut off, even if you are in the right.
Cruelty to animals
Missing family-Skype no substitute for hug!
More expensive flights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.