Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

young UK families in spain

young UK families in spain

Old Mar 8th 2003, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Lisa BB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default young UK families in spain

My mum and dad have a holiday appartment in Spain, near Feungirola, and it's great. I've only been there once, cos they only got it last year. I read a lot about retired, more mature folks making Spain their home, but I just wondered if anybody knows of any young families who have gone to Spain and are working and enjoying it. We decided Aus was too far away from family and friends, but we would like to move somewhere sunnier with a more outdoorsy life for the kids. I don't want a quite, country lifestyle (though I would like that for holidays and occassional trips etc), I prefer a more buzzing place where there is lots to do for adults and kids. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Lisa B
Old Mar 10th 2003, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: young UK families in spain

Originally posted by Lisa BB
My mum and dad have a holiday appartment in Spain, near Feungirola, and it's great. I've only been there once, cos they only got it last year. I read a lot about retired, more mature folks making Spain their home, but I just wondered if anybody knows of any young families who have gone to Spain and are working and enjoying it. We decided Aus was too far away from family and friends, but we would like to move somewhere sunnier with a more outdoorsy life for the kids. I don't want a quite, country lifestyle (though I would like that for holidays and occassional trips etc), I prefer a more buzzing place where there is lots to do for adults and kids. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Lisa B
Dont have any advise but I think what you are doing is "FAB' and not going to Australia is very smart, have you read some of the horror stories on the Australian forum about families going and hating it, at leased you are still close enough to go back if it's not for you good luck what ever you do ......
Old Mar 14th 2003, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Shiralee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
Lisa B
Hi Lisa. We are moving back to the UK in May after living ten years in Australia, primarily to be nearer family. We are hoping that all works out well there but if not we will consider Spain also. My parents have a house in Alcaidesa so we would be looking around that area. We have two young boys who would need schooling so I've been looking at International schools on the Net, particularly Sotogrande which would be the closest and it looks like a good school. After discussing this plan with friends in Scotland I've heard of many young families who have made the move and are loving it.
Let me know how you go with any research into it.
Old Mar 14th 2003, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Lisa BB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies

Shiralee - I'll keep you updated - and let me know how you get on too.

Lisa BB
Old Mar 16th 2003, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

tabs is an unknown quantity at this point

I read a lot about retired, more mature folks making Spain their home, but I just wondered if anybody knows of any young families who have gone to Spain and are working and enjoying it.

Thanks.
Lisa B
Hi Lisa, my husband, baby and I are living in Spain - been here for 4 months and committing to stay for another 6. The main problem is getting an income as you say, I am teaching English and HTML but the wages here are LOW. The upside is how cheap it is to live here (we lived in California before), how beautiful and friendly it is and how healthy. We are now considering making it our permanent home rather than returning to the UK. Healthcare is free if you are a UK citizen, the education system is good etc. I would consider living near a larger city like Barcelona, Madrid or Seville if you want a more buzzy lifestyle - but research it first. Good luck.
Old Mar 18th 2003, 4:05 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

[ I would consider living near a larger city like Barcelona, Madrid or Seville if you want a more buzzy lifestyle - but research it first. Good luck. [/QUOTE]

My hubby has visited Madrid on business and says it is hot, dirty and full of car fumes - a place to avoid I think. I'm sure other places in Spain are lovely but Madrid is overcrowded and full of traffic.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

when u say young, how young u mean ? playschool / primary school? i know loads of people in my town, also near fuengerola..not mijas tho who have kids.. one thing i would say is that u have to have an income - u cant live here without money, and with kids that would be even worse. are u on ur own with kids ? or is there a guy involved too? cos one of u would have to be there for the kids, which means only part time work? u dont need to drive in fuengerola, everything is within walking distance. u dont even really need to speak spanish its like southend
Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

greggyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have a younf family, son aged 7 daughetr aged 31/2 and we would lobve to move to Spain

We dont speak the langauge so work is an obvious problem

what opportunities are there in places like Costa Del Sol/Costa Blanca