British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Young person moving to Mallorca... help? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/young-person-moving-mallorca-help-908424/)

veekh Jan 25th 2018 3:00 pm

Young person moving to Mallorca... help?

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been here a million times before, but any advice will be appreciated.

I'm a 23 year old female who has had enough of her life back in her gloomy home and decided to take the plunge and move to the sunshine :)

I am looking to spend a few months in Mallorca, just to get away from everything, work away and enjoy the sun. I have an Irish Citizenship and a Czech permanent residency (currently living in Prague).
My plan is to book a hotel for 7-10 days, then find a basic job (bars, pubs, restaurants), in the meantime find somewhere more long term to live.

Is there any locals or anyone who has done something similar before who can offer advice on which areas are best to settle in?
With my minimal Spanish (but other languages and lots of custumer service experience under my belt) I thought my best bet would be somewhere in the South West, especially during the quieter time of the year.

I'm not however a raging party girl and have heard my share of stag madness horror stories about Magaluf and it's the sort of thing I would like to avoid if possible.

Is there any area in the South that has the best of both worlds, touristy enough to find work but still quiet enough to enjoy a little bit of 'authentic Mallorca'? :-)

Is the island generally safe for a solo female traveller?
Thank you!

Rosemary Jan 25th 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Young person moving to Mallorca... help?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

amideislas Jan 25th 2018 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by veekh (Post 12427469)
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been here a million times before, but any advice will be appreciated.

I'm a 23 year old female who has had enough of her life back in her gloomy home and decided to take the plunge and move to the sunshine :)

I am looking to spend a few months in Mallorca, just to get away from everything, work away and enjoy the sun. I have an Irish Citizenship and a Czech permanent residency (currently living in Prague).
My plan is to book a hotel for 7-10 days, then find a basic job (bars, pubs, restaurants), in the meantime find somewhere more long term to live.

Is there any locals or anyone who has done something similar before who can offer advice on which areas are best to settle in?
With my minimal Spanish (but other languages and lots of custumer service experience under my belt) I thought my best bet would be somewhere in the South West, especially during the quieter time of the year.

I'm not however a raging party girl and have heard my share of stag madness horror stories about Magaluf and it's the sort of thing I would like to avoid if possible.

Is there any area in the South that has the best of both worlds, touristy enough to find work but still quiet enough to enjoy a little bit of 'authentic Mallorca'? :-)

Is the island generally safe for a solo female traveller?
Thank you!

Well, (cautiously), welcome, newbie!

There's a hell of a lot more to this island than Magaluf, which is nothing but a mere dot on the southwest coast. You'll learn this, eventually (hopefully). Magaluf, in general, in NOT a "safe" place, especially for a young (presumably pretty) and naïve 20-something female. So, I'd avoid it.

I can understand your desire to leave the grey skies, but things are different here, and you should prepare yourself for that. First, if you only speak English, you have an uphill battle. English is far from the dominant language, and especially in employment. Spanish is pretty much a basic necessity in all but a handful of positions. If you spoke German, you'd find something fairly quickly. If you look at the job market, many jobs expect some degree of all 3 (Spanish, German and English).

Bar/restaurant work... It's mainly seasonal in the resorts. April to October. The rest of the time, you're on your own. If you speak one or more of the aforementioned languages, then you can get year-round bar/restaurant work in the local towns an villages. But it doesn't pay much, and rents are not cheap and increasing. But it depends on where you live. It's much much cheaper in the villages. At the coast or in the resorts, it's pretty expensive.

I'd try to get something more permanent. For example, there are "call centres" here. You're trained to answer the phone on behalf of various large companies (e.g. insurance, telecoms, etc). You deal with people who are calling in about some issue with their bill or their service. Many are already angry, and you need to deal with their problem. You need to have a thick skin. But it's regular year-round employment, and you get health insurance and social benefits.

There's other things.. Yachting business is a big employer. And it's mainly English language.

Lots of hotels, small and large, need receptionists and service people but again, German and Spanish is important. And many are again, seasonal.

In the south, there's lots of bar/hotel/restaurant work but again... Languages. Try the Hilton in Llucmayor. If you can get in there, the cost of living in the area is lower, and they'd probably be more open to a solely English-speaking employee. Also look for stuff in pollença/port de pollença or alcudia. Lots of English hotels and other things up there.

In any case, bring enough money to sustain yourself for a year. It'll take at least that long to find your zen and get stabilised. Really. You have a lot to learn. And by fire isn't the nicest way.

Good luck with everything...

johnnyone Jan 27th 2018 7:38 am

Have you considered mainland Spain? One of the Costas may suit you. Eg. Around Denia/Javea. I am sure there are other areasas well.
Having said that most of Ami's good post applies wherever you choose but the cost of living may be less.
Good Luck

amideislas Jan 27th 2018 8:11 pm

Thank you.

Yes, you may have better chances in a more "English" community on the peninsula. The presence of English is declining here a bit, and with it, employment opportunities for solely English-speaking job seekers.

I'd also like to clarify that while Magaluf may not be "safe", the rest of the island is very much so. In most places, as a young woman, you can walk alone at 2:00am without any fear at all. The locals exhibit a particularly strong moral compass. It's the resorts (and particularly Magaluf) where you need to keep your eyes open and be aware of who's around you.

Novocastrian Jan 28th 2018 11:30 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12427648)
There's other things.. Yachting business is a big employer. And it's mainly English language.

Can I echo that. I have a niece who's now a bit older than the OP, but first arrived in Mallorca when she was early 20's and found work aboard a luxury yacht as cabin "boy", graduating to personal assistant to the Captain's wife and family based near Palma.

Her younger brother is now working as second engineer on the same yacht.

Both make a lot of money.