Reload this Page >

Young family moving to Spain

Young family moving to Spain

Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Becs1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young family moving to Spain

Hello,

I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips with moving to Spain.. My partner and I are in our late 20's with a young child. We are looking into moving to Spain in the near future. Currently we are saving and preparing for numerous trips to decide on which area to live in. My partner will be self employed and works in the building trade so would be looking for work. I have a job in which I can work from with. This is all new to us. In an ideal world we would like to look at moving to the mijas area but any advice on this would help. Thanks
Old Oct 7th 2017, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young family moving to Spain

Originally Posted by Becs1
Hello,

I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips with moving to Spain.. My partner and I are in our late 20's with a young child. We are looking into moving to Spain in the near future. Currently we are saving and preparing for numerous trips to decide on which area to live in. My partner will be self employed and works in the building trade so would be looking for work. I have a job in which I can work from with. This is all new to us. In an ideal world we would like to look at moving to the mijas area but any advice on this would help. Thanks
Hi,

My tip is to ask many, many specific questions as you can about all aspects of living in Spain. Try not to ask for answers to "General" questions as you will get loads of differing answers.

You will need healthcare for all of your family and prove to the authorities you have enough income so not to be a burden on the state.

You do not and will not get any benefits of any kind.

The building trade is awash with 'out of work' builders and I imagine there is many Spanish builders looking for jobs. I understand that a lot of the building regs are different to those of the UK. I believe it costs around €250 a month to be self employed but that covers you all for healthcare. That sort of work will require you to speak fluent Spanish especially on technical terms.

I hope you can get to live here in Spain as it's a wonderful place. Please consider the consequences of Brexit.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old Oct 7th 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
How Fluent is your partner ?
Unemployment is massive here and the jobs go to the locals first.
Being self employed means a Social Security payment of about 250€ per month. A builder, if he can find any work will be paid 10 to 15 € per hour. Do the sums and forget it.
Sorry to be negative, the only way to come to Spain is with a confirmed position or to retire with a pension.
I'm just the second many more will be along with the same tale.

Last edited by lyric030250; Oct 7th 2017 at 5:40 pm. Reason: second
Old Oct 7th 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becs1
Hello,

Rent dont buy would be my first bit of advice , secondly take plenty of cash , your partner is unlikely to find work and salaries are much lower than in the UK, Mijas has a lot of expats/English speakers so he would be competing with them , not easy.
If you have a sufficient guaranteed income you may survive there otherwise treat it as a long holiday and accept that you will most likely have to go back to the UK after a few months.
Good Luck.

PS You may stand a better chance if you could find work in Gibraltar and commute from somewhere locally in Spain , again not easy.

Last edited by Rotor; Oct 7th 2017 at 5:40 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody wants to dampen your dreams, but it would be difficult with just the two of you - but more so with a child. As has been said, construction work is extremely hard to find and competition is fierce and work will generally go first to those who speak Spanish. Unless you have a large financial cushion to tide you through however long it may take to find regular work, then things could become difficult. You are not entitled to any benefits unless your partner registers as self-employed 'autonomo' but they will have to find €250 per month to pay into the system regardless of any work/income coming in. Only if they can pay the autonomo do you all qualify for healthcare.
Many say that Spain is a wonderful place if you have money - but a hard place to earn it, especially, I would have thought, for a young family. If is what you both really want to do, then don't be put off, but just do as much research as you possibly can so that you can arrive prepared and ready for any eventuality. Ask all the questions you can think of - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 6:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KieronF
.... Many say that Spain is a wonderful place if you have money - but a hard place to earn it. .....
I seem to recall someone posting that the easiest way to make a small fortune in Spain is to start with a large one!
Old Oct 9th 2017, 8:16 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I seem to recall someone posting that the easiest way to make a small fortune in Spain is to start with a large one!
Yup !