Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Young family looking to move to Spain. Need advice!

Young family looking to move to Spain. Need advice!

Old Apr 14th 2019, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

SolomonT5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Young family looking to move to Spain. Need advice!

Hey,

I am 38, wife younger, and have 2 kids 8 and 11.

We are looking to move to Spain in around 12 months.

Where would be the best places for families?

Pref somewhere with a British community and good international schools.

Im not selling our London house incase the kids come back to study but want to buy something around 500k euros.

Looking for somewhere where life is a bit cheaper then city life as only I will be working (for a company in London).

Also want good weather most of the year without high winds like they have in Almeria and the Canaries at times.

Many help would be appreciated!
Old Apr 14th 2019, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young family looking to move to Spain. Need advice!

Originally Posted by SolomonT5
Hey,

Im not selling our London house incase the kids come back to study but want to buy something around 500k euros.

Looking for somewhere where life is a bit cheaper then city life as only I will be working (for a company in London).

Also want good weather most of the year without high winds like they have in Almeria and the Canaries at times.

Look along Costa Del Sol , good international schools from San Pedro to Elviria. Excellent airport at Malaga.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 4:11 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

Hi, you should research how you'd be covered for health insurance, depending on what your employment status is. If you're salaried, you'd have to ask your employers to post you to Spain and pay into the Spanish Social Security, or if you're freelance, you'd have to set up a business structure and pay Contributions into the Spanish System. In the latter case, if Spain is anything like France, the Authorities won't accept a freelancer with only one client.
Below is a European site explaining Posted Workers for "temporary" missions, with links concerning Social Security, which you should discuss with your employers.
https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp...=471&langId=en
HTH
P.S. Here's another link which I posted on another forum:
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm

Last edited by dmu; Apr 15th 2019 at 4:14 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Look along Costa Del Sol , good international schools from San Pedro to Elviria. Excellent airport at Malaga.
thanks for the advice!
Old Apr 15th 2019, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, you should research how you'd be covered for health insurance, depending on what your employment status is. If you're salaried, you'd have to ask your employers to post you to Spain and pay into the Spanish Social Security, or if you're freelance, you'd have to set up a business structure and pay Contributions into the Spanish System. In the latter case, if Spain is anything like France, the Authorities won't accept a freelancer with only one client.
Below is a European site explaining Posted Workers for "temporary" missions, with links concerning Social Security, which you should discuss with your employers.
https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp...=471&langId=en
HTH
P.S. Here's another link which I posted on another forum:
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm
You are absolutely right Spain does not accept an "Autonomo" working only for one company for more than 11 months. I remember perfectly the company I worked for got "stuffed" by an Autonomo after three years. Had to pay full SS for him, fines and also to end his contract indemnization as a normal employee.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
You are absolutely right Spain does not accept an "Autonomo" working only for one company for more than 11 months. I remember perfectly the company I worked for got "stuffed" by an Autonomo after three years. Had to pay full SS for him, fines and also to end his contract indemnization as a normal employee.
i am self employed and run an insurance brokers company in the UK. Would this be classed as Autonomo?
Old Apr 15th 2019, 6:00 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

i am self employed and run an insurance brokers company in the UK. Would this be classed as Autonomo?
Is it a Limited Company?
Old Apr 15th 2019, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Is it a Limited Company?
yes it is limited (registered in the UK)
Old Apr 15th 2019, 8:15 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Members in Spain will confirm that an Autonomo can only make a limited turnover, far lower than your present one. You as the boss would either have to "post" yourself and arrange with the Spanish S.S., or set up the Spanish equivalent of a Limited Company. This possibility should be considered with caution and a great deal of professional advice....