Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Young Family looking to make the move

Young Family looking to make the move

Old Aug 24th 2015, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Robbie19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young Family looking to make the move

Hi all, me and my girlfriend are mid 20s with a 1 year old daughter and looking to make the move next year to Alicante. I've been reading through the forums and getting a bit of a negative vibe from it all, we are hoping to rent for 6 months- a year then buy somewhere. Work as a gas and boiler technician in London but looking to do an air conditioning course as well as spanish lessons before I come. Any tips or advice or any positive stuff about moving over?
Many thanks
Rob
Old Aug 24th 2015, 3:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Family looking to make the move

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 24th 2015, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Just some things to consider. How did you do in learning languages when you were at school? How do you think you will do now you are older? What do you think all the hundreds , maybe thousands of Spanish qualified air conditiong technicians are doing (and they speak fluent Spanish)/ If you are not married there are different rules in respect of dependency. Perhaps you will find others who can be more positive.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

It can be lovely and sunny, on the positive side of things but the unemployment rate is awful. So a bit of both really.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:43 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

You're doing the right things in researching widely, learning the language and undertaking a course where there should be a demand, but make sure you check out the market. It's very competitive.

Although you'd like to hear the positive stuff, it makes sense to consider the worst case scenario. Finding work will not be easy, employed or self-employed, considering your youth and limited language skills.

Could you survive financially for an extended period without work ? Is it possible to not burn bridges and secure temp work back in London should the need arise ?

It's a big throw of the dice, especially with a young daughter to consider, her well being and security should come first, as I'm sure it does. Good luck !
Old Aug 24th 2015, 9:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie19
Hi all, me and my girlfriend are mid 20s with a 1 year old daughter and looking to make the move next year to Alicante. I've been reading through the forums and getting a bit of a negative vibe from it all, we are hoping to rent for 6 months- a year then buy somewhere. Work as a gas and boiler technician in London but looking to do an air conditioning course as well as spanish lessons before I come. Any tips or advice or any positive stuff about moving over?
Many thanks
Rob
Please consider the following
Health, you would need private cover, until you got a legally contracted job, or you could become self employed, but in the self employed case your girlfriend would NOT be covered.

Self-employed, you would have to pay the autonomo, but it would only cover you and the child, your gf would need her own job, or become self employed herself, the cost of this would be €250 per month, whether you earnt any money or not.

Schools, when your daughter becomes of school age, the teaching is free, but everything else has to be paid for, exercise books, text books and out of hours activities.

There is no benefit system in Spain to help if you fall on hard times, even the Spanish health service would not be totally free.

Spain is a great place to live if you have money, but a difficult place if you need to earn it, especially if you are an immigrant.