Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Young families experiences of living in Spain

Young families experiences of living in Spain

Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

millibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Young families experiences of living in Spain

Originally Posted by helenp
My husband is a glass worker but I doubt he would find work in Spain easily that is why we would have to set up our own business. I have worked as an estate agent and I don't know how easy it would be to get work in Spain or Gibraltar if I needed to. Did basic Spanish at University and working on it but obviously the best way to learn is when you live there. Where abouts is Ontinyent?
If you find Valencia on a map and follow the coast down until you get to Gandia. Then go inland and you should find Ontinyent/Ontiniente by Alcoy/Alcoi and Xativa. You can find either or both spellings, first is Valenciano and second is Castillian Spanish. We are 1 hour from both Alicante and Valencia airports and 40 mins drive to the nearest beach, Gandia. There is a train station in Ontinyent but only limited trains a day. Xativa however has a train to Valencia every 15 mins or so 5.40 euros return, great for a shopping trip out. They are also arranging a fast train to Madrid from Xativa and there is a golf course being built nearby too. Loads happening.
get a cheap flight and try visiting the area, geta car and drive around to see if its for you. The kids can have such a wonderful life out here, they don't seem to be so materialistic and they are not forced to grow up. Sit in one of the small parks or plazas one summer evening about 11pm and see all generations mingling, making the most of the cooler air. It can be wonderful, it takes time and effort to settle but it is worth it. The same with any move to a new country.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 5:15 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
just want to put my little bit in....
my partner and i bought a villa in Spain (Barxeta, nr Xativa,Valencia) a year and half ago. We finaly moved in about 6 weeks ago, oh what bliss,
So how did you make the move here, surprisingly not many people have posted about this, biggest question is earning a living, unless you have capital you going to need to earn a living. I don't think being broke makes up for lack of London stress.

I have a friend who is on a "long term vacation" in Madrid,he got a buyout from work but is unsure if he can stay here long term, he needs to make a living at some point and while the cost of living is low, rents are quite high.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 5:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millibug_1999
If you find Valencia on a map and follow the coast down until you get to Gandia. Then go inland and you should find Ontinyent/Ontiniente by Alcoy/Alcoi and Xativa. You can find either or both spellings, first is Valenciano and second is Castillian Spanish. We are 1 hour from both Alicante and Valencia airports and 40 mins drive to the nearest beach, Gandia. There is a train station in Ontinyent but only limited trains a day. Xativa however has a train to Valencia every 15 mins or so 5.40 euros return, great for a shopping trip out. They are also arranging a fast train to Madrid from Xativa and there is a golf course being built nearby too. Loads happening.
get a cheap flight and try visiting the area, geta car and drive around to see if its for you. The kids can have such a wonderful life out here, they don't seem to be so materialistic and they are not forced to grow up. Sit in one of the small parks or plazas one summer evening about 11pm and see all generations mingling, making the most of the cooler air. It can be wonderful, it takes time and effort to settle but it is worth it. The same with any move to a new country.
Millibug, can you get me any details of the golf club?
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

millibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Millibug, can you get me any details of the golf club?
Haven't been there but aparently the new course is going to be between Anna and Xativa. I think there is a driving range there at the moment that they are going to expand into a golf course and complex. Only concrete info is in spanish in the local newpapers. Not sure if that has been any help.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:06 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millibug_1999
Haven't been there but aparently the new course is going to be between Anna and Xativa. I think there is a driving range there at the moment that they are going to expand into a golf course and complex. Only concrete info is in spanish in the local newpapers. Not sure if that has been any help.
Oh OK thanks ... thought that if I got in at a club when it was still being built might be a better chance of getting a reasonable membership as the established courses are ridiculous
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:49 pm
Banned

Torretruths is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Oh OK thanks ... thought that if I got in at a club when it was still being built might be a better chance of getting a reasonable membership as the established courses are ridiculous

The golfclub syndrome is probably the biggest problem on forums about Spain. Those people usually have too much money to worry about the realities of life such as earning a living. Oh I would like 1 centimo for each person I have seen start their own business in Spain and end up penniless within a very short space of time. There are so many websites trying to lumber someone with a bar or restuarant that some other poor soul has spent his life savings trying to keep his head above water.

They are the silent majority of those having to work for a living.

People are such fools they don't see through all the propaganda

www.torretruths.com
Old Nov 7th 2006, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

DrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to all

My family and I are not sure whether to move to Spain and set up a business or move to New Zealand where employers have showed an interest in my husband. We have two young children so obviously it would be easier language wise to settle in an English speaking Country but we love Spain and it is closer to UK and I would like them to be bilingual.
Are there any young families who have moved to Spain? I would like to hear about their experiences.

Helen
It really depends on what kind of business you want to start. Generally speaking, Spain is a fantastic place to retire if you have money, but it's not the easiest country to start a business. Expect more red tape, bureaucracy, low professional standards, disorganization, people showing up late, than you are used to.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

angie10050 is an unknown quantity at this point

My family and I are not sure whether to move to Spain and set up a business or move to New Zealand where employers have showed an interest in my husband. We have two young children so obviously it would be easier language wise to settle in an English speaking Country but we love Spain and it is closer to UK and I would like them to be bilingual.
Are there any young families who have moved to Spain? I would like to hear about their experiences.

Helen
Hi Helen, I moved to spain in august as my husbands sister and family are here and we wanted our kids (ages 7 and twins at 5) to grow up in a less hostile place, so far the kids love it in a spanish school and we are doing ok.However there are costs we didnt know about before we came regarding school supplies, our 5 year olds books came to 102€ each child then there is a class supplies fee of 50€, each child pays this towards materials used. My 7 year old didnt buy all his books as the teacher said there is no point when he cant read them, he paid just paid 49€ and 25€ class materials.Also all their paper, pens, pencils, felt-tips etc,etc have to be bought. I thought i would let you know as not everyone who relocates to spain is loaded.It is a struggle but the improved lifestyle more than compensates for this.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by angie10050
Hi Helen, I moved to spain in august as my husbands sister and family are here and we wanted our kids (ages 7 and twins at 5) to grow up in a less hostile place, so far the kids love it in a spanish school and we are doing ok.However there are costs we didnt know about before we came regarding school supplies, our 5 year olds books came to 102€ each child then there is a class supplies fee of 50€, each child pays this towards materials used. My 7 year old didnt buy all his books as the teacher said there is no point when he cant read them, he paid just paid 49€ and 25€ class materials.Also all their paper, pens, pencils, felt-tips etc,etc have to be bought. I thought i would let you know as not everyone who relocates to spain is loaded.It is a struggle but the improved lifestyle more than compensates for this.
Hi Angie

Thanks for your reply, this is an old thread and since then we decided on Spain as New Zealand is too far. Our house is still on the market once it sells we are going to live in Spain for a few months to get a feel for it and then purchase a property. I think it must be nice to retire to Spain and not have significant money worries but I don't want to wait until I retire I might not be here then. Would just like enough money to live off, I am not materialistic anyway but look forward to the change in lifestlylifestyleadventure if it dosn't wdoesn't least we will of tryed._|triedelen
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi Angie

Thanks for your reply, this is an old thread and since then we decided on Spain as New Zealand is too far. Our house is still on the market once it sells we are going to live in Spain for a few months to get a feel for it and then purchase a property. I think it must be nice to retire to Spain and not have significant money worries but I don't want to wait until I retire I might not be here then. Would just like enough money to live off, I am not materialistic anyway but look forward to the change in lifestlylifestyleadventure if it dosn't wdoesn't least we will of tryed._|triedelen
Hi Helen,
WHere abouts are you thinking of moving to in Spain ?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Hi Helen,
WHere abouts are you thinking of moving to in Spain ?
Hi

We have looked at houses in Jaen and like it there, but it is quite out of the way. At the moment we are considering Costa Tropical/Almeria.

Helen
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:13 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Hi Angie

Good luck with your proposed move to Spain. I also have a young family and would advise that I see many families struggle to make a living in Spain and many get fed up with just keeping their heads above water.

If you can come and do something unique and different then that would help.

Mark
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GCM
Good luck with your proposed move to Spain. I also have a young family and would advise that I see many families struggle to make a living in Spain and many get fed up with just keeping their heads above water.

If you can come and do something unique and different then that would help.

Mark
I know it's a little 'off topic', but is it true if you have 3 or more children, then you can get Spanish child benefit ?

Every little helps...
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's a little 'off topic', but is it true if you have 3 or more children, then you can get Spanish child benefit ?

Every little helps...
Hi,
Not heard that, however i know you have to inform this country and not claim child benefit here, i think that is true.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 4:36 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Every little helps...
Our experience.......no benefits whatsoever, your on your own!