Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Young families experiences of living in Spain

Young families experiences of living in Spain

Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young families experiences of living in Spain

Afraid I agree with you there fully Kevray, and was going to post the same so you beat me to it. I don't see things through rose tinted glasses, but there is such a thing as having a bit of optimism about things.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Commenting on selected items in your post ...
Originally Posted by ValenciaExpats
Check things out carefully and dont get stung. Just think for example, why on programs on the TV they dont they mention the 3000 houses in the area of Elche that were knowinhly being built illegally (by Spanish builders), the buyers (mainly british) paid up and moved in, then received letters saying they were being fined for an illegal build. Soon as they paid the fine they were told the places were to be demolished, and they were.

Wonder if perhaps the reason the builders were not stòpped was because the local government doesn't want loads of unemployed builders, electricians, plumbers, electrical goods shops etc.
Attributing this to some government conspiracy shows that you do not understand Spain, or human nature too well. It's really quite simple. People try to do what they think they can get away with. The law in Spain does not generally interfere with the individual, unless they bring attention to themselves. It's not a "nanny state". Finally, each individual is responsible for the consequences of their own decisions. The state is not there to stop people making idiots of themselves. "Buyer beware".

Recently a family had their car rammed in a shopping centre when they had briefly popped in a shop. The daughter was waiting in the back whilst the gang stole the shopping and all their christmas spending money, which amounted to 1000s. Ok they were pretty stupid leaving 1000's in a car, but the police never came and when the people visited the police station apparently the police said no crime had been committed because the car was unlocked.
This sounds pretty unlikely. More likely a case of a failure to communicate.

The Spanish can be quite racist towards other europeans who have the same rights in Spain as themselves. It is not uncommon to hear Spanish comment on how the British have spolied their towns. Forgetting the fact that they'd probably still be growing oranges if it wasnt for money from other nationalities.
And they might well be quite happy "growing oranges", as you put it. At least that way the majority of young people might still be able to afford a house in the areas they were brought up in. Cause and effect. I'd certainly have to agree that many places have been spoiled due to an "unnatural" influx of people. That's a fact. Nothing to do with who these people are, but everything to do with the quantity and the reluctance of many to integrate. It just so happens that we Brits are in a majority in this group. Incidentally, "rights" come with respect for the rights of others too in any reasonable society.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:54 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Commenting on selected items in your post ...
Attributing this to some government conspiracy shows that you do not understand Spain, or human nature too well. It's really quite simple. People try to do what they think they can get away with. The law in Spain does not generally interfere with the individual, unless they bring attention to themselves. It's not a "nanny state". Finally, each individual is responsible for the consequences of their own decisions. The state is not there to stop people making idiots of themselves. "Buyer beware".

This sounds pretty unlikely. More likely a case of a failure to communicate.

And they might well be quite happy "growing oranges", as you put it. At least that way the majority of young people might still be able to afford a house in the areas they were brought up in. Cause and effect. I'd certainly have to agree that many places have been spoiled due to an "unnatural" influx of people. That's a fact. Nothing to do with who these people are, but everything to do with the quantity and the reluctance of many to integrate. It just so happens that we Brits are in a majority in this group. Incidentally, "rights" come with respect for the rights of others too in any reasonable society.
Would have to agree, seeing as one of Spain's major exports is fruit, the derisory comment of "growing oranges" is a bit ripe.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:25 pm
Experience 5* rating

Costa-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant future
Exclamation Re: Young families experiences of living in Spain

Originally Posted by kevray
Blimey :scared: and I thought everyone on this forum wanted to help us poor brits move successfully to Spain, If all Expats had your views Nothing you have said other than your rant on "britbuys" is particularly relevant as these occurrences happen in all countries. As for Britbuys, well I suggest if you don't like them don't buy from them.

Could not agree with you more kevray and ditto, if you don't like the way people run their business be it Spanish or British then don't use them that goes for all types of business surely!!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:32 pm
Experience 5* rating

Costa-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=ValenciaExpats]Remember everyone there is a lot of disinformation relating to moving to Spain, just the same as many other subjects. Most of the media and websites have a vested interest. Often users in forums are not quite who they would at first seem to be. People throw in comments such as the one about about passing the phone. At their prices I´d pass the fone at arms length.

I wonder who you are then?? I am a parent and wife and am moving to Spain in July this year I have a house and a car their already, I joined this forum because of sone of the useful information that in gleens. I do not often comment but I found some of your comments quite offensive and downright rude.

It is people like you that give the rest of us such a bad name in Spain not us we are just trying to be armed with as much info as possible whether exactly accurate or not knowledge is power, and when you are moving to another country then you need as much knowledge as possible.

Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:13 pm
Banned

Torretruths is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Unexpat
And they might well be quite happy "growing oranges", as you put it. At least that way the majority of young people might still be able to afford a house in the areas they were brought up in.
Would beg to differ unexpat. If you read up on the subject you will find that the property price / earnings ratio is one of the highest in Europe. In reality most young people are unable to afford property. The problem is much much greater than that of the UK.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Torretruths
Would beg to differ unexpat. If you read up on the subject you will find that the property price / earnings ratio is one of the highest in Europe. In reality most young people are unable to afford property. The problem is much much greater than that of the UK.
Aren't you saying the same thing I said? Please re-read what I posted
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:16 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gray C
Just curious. Why would you not go back to Canada? We are considering moving to Canada or Spain soon.

Graham
Actually we were bored in Canada, we had been looking for something different when a job in Germany opened up. Main appeal is culture and lifestyle. We found taxes to be lower and wages to be higher than in Canada. Plus moving back would mean giving up 6 weeks vacation that and the fact I hate winter, Germany tends to have milder winters. (this year being the exception).

Having been here for 4 months (on long term project) I can understand why people move here, I wasn't so sure at first but I've fallen in love with Spain. Wouldn't bother that much if it turned into a permanent position.

Main negatives I find are the high unemployment and language and cultural differences, you need to learn a new language and culture in each country you move to.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:16 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Blimey :scared: and I thought everyone on this forum wanted to help us poor brits move successfully to Spain, If all Expats had your views Nothing you have said other than your rant on "britbuys" is particularly relevant as these occurrences happen in all countries. As for Britbuys, well I suggest if you don't like them don't buy from them.
just want to put my little bit in....
my partner and i bought a villa in Spain (Barxeta, nr Xativa,Valencia) a year and half ago. We finaly moved in about 6 weeks ago, oh what bliss, had a lot to do so have not been for Spanish lessons yet, hope to start in about 3 weeks time. he thing I am trying to say is.. when i look around our typicaly Spanish village and see the kiddies and their way of life I think how wonderful is this, so different from the kiddies in the UK. This place is such a great place for kiddies I am trying to talk my daughter into bringing my granddaughter over to live.
All the stress I had in London has slipped from my shoulders and I now wake up,go outside and smell the rosemary and the air and think,life cant get better than this.....
please dont say, what a dreamer, its just that it is soooo beautiful here.
go for it...... you only live once, whats the worst that can happen
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:55 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
go for it...... you only live once, whats the worst that can happen
You said it all Patsy
Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:01 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

You said it all Patsy
I have to say that I've been in Madrid for 4 months now (resident of Germany but here on a long term project) and I must say the life style and weather do grow on you. Only thing I haven't been able to fathon is the late nights. I mean they are total night owls, dinner at 10 drinks at 2 am, how does one last the next day????

Not sure I'll be that Spanish till I retire!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
I have to say that I've been in Madrid for 4 months now (resident of Germany but here on a long term project) and I must say the life style and weather do grow on you. Only thing I haven't been able to fathon is the late nights. I mean they are total night owls, dinner at 10 drinks at 2 am, how does one last the next day????

Not sure I'll be that Spanish till I retire!
Every now and again, you sneak in 8 hours and call it a win. Plus a half hour power snooze after lunch doesn't hurt And then you get to wake up to another day and it's hard to supress a smile in the early morning sun

Last edited by Unexpat; Apr 19th 2006 at 9:55 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

millibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant futuremillibug_1999 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Young families experiences of living in Spain

Originally Posted by helenp
My family and I are not sure whether to move to Spain and set up a business or move to New Zealand where employers have showed an interest in my husband. We have two young children so obviously it would be easier language wise to settle in an English speaking Country but we love Spain and it is closer to UK and I would like them to be bilingual.
Are there any young families who have moved to Spain? I would like to hear about their experiences.

Helen
I moved to spain 9 months ago with our 1 and 6 year old. We live inland in Ontinyent and love it here, What does you husband do and can he secure a job before hand? The job situation is not easy if you do not speak spanish, but if you are adaptable and don't have a large nmortgage to pay then look into it here. remember things are cheaper but the wages are less too. If language is a problem then try Gibraltar or english speaking places. It can be done and the kids are easily settled in when young but it doesn't suit everyone. do as much research as poss and use that internet

try here www.loshildickos.com

an www.inlandtrader.net
Old Apr 20th 2006, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by millibug_1999
I moved to spain 9 months ago with our 1 and 6 year old. We live inland in Ontinyent and love it here, What does you husband do and can he secure a job before hand? The job situation is not easy if you do not speak spanish, but if you are adaptable and don't have a large nmortgage to pay then look into it here. remember things are cheaper but the wages are less too. If language is a problem then try Gibraltar or english speaking places. It can be done and the kids are easily settled in when young but it doesn't suit everyone. do as much research as poss and use that internet

try here www.loshildickos.com

an www.inlandtrader.net
My husband is a glass worker but I doubt he would find work in Spain easily that is why we would have to set up our own business. I have worked as an estate agent and I don't know how easy it would be to get work in Spain or Gibraltar if I needed to. Did basic Spanish at University and working on it but obviously the best way to learn is when you live there. Where abouts is Ontinyent?
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:11 pm
Rizlared

Originally Posted by helenp
Where abouts is Ontinyent?
About half way between Alicante and Valencia.
try: viamichelin.com

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...=8&image2.y=14

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.