Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Young Brit wanting to move to Spain before Brexit

Young Brit wanting to move to Spain before Brexit

Old Aug 16th 2019, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Brit wanting to move to Spain before Brexit

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
Give the lad a chance; at least he speaks reasonable Spanish, is keen and willing to give it a go. And he's English, so could fall back on that with some extra teaching if need be.
I find many of us here on this forum tend to be too negative. Yes, spell out the true facts, but let's encourage people.
My whisky glass is always half full.
well done Euskadi bravo mate too true, young man starting out on live, go for it son
Old Aug 17th 2019, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
He has stated that he has C1 level Spanish.

Rosemary
And what else does he have to land him a job over a Spanish local?

Unless youngsters have a specific set of skills to suit Spain and they really want to leave the UK then NZ/Auz/Canada are the places to aim for, forget Spain. We're hoping our two grown children leave the UK, lock stock and barrel and head for NZ, they are professionals, have skills needed there and their future will be better than the UK can offer post Brexit....we'll pay all costs for the move...the wife and I would of course move to.
Old Aug 17th 2019, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

No risk, no gain, right? Especially when you're young. So many Victor Meldrews here ...
Old Aug 17th 2019, 10:42 am
Just Joined

LeeAnthony21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bob_bob
And what else does he have to land him a job over a Spanish local?

Unless youngsters have a specific set of skills to suit Spain and they really want to leave the UK then NZ/Auz/Canada are the places to aim for, forget Spain. We're hoping our two grown children leave the UK, lock stock and barrel and head for NZ, they are professionals, have skills needed there and their future will be better than the UK can offer post Brexit....we'll pay all costs for the move...the wife and I would of course move to.
If I wanted advice on how to move to NZ/Aus/Canada I would have started a thread in that section thank you. I have no desire to live in any of those countries, I'd rather stay in the UK. I'm only interested in Spain, thanks.

And as many have pointed out already, there are lots of fields for Brits in Spain and currently as we are still in the EU, a specific skill is not necessarily needed under free movement, any communitarian worker can seek work like in their own country. Being bilingual is certainly sought after in Spain as the level of English is not very high.
Old Aug 17th 2019, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by el collado kid
well done Euskadi bravo mate too true, young man starting out on live, go for it son
Thanks so much for your tips and positivity el collado kid, I will certainly give it a lot of thought in the next few weeks but you have encouraged me!
Old Aug 17th 2019, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
Being young, perhaps you will be short on experience but full of energy and enthusiasm, things that count very often with employers. Trying to find a job in Spain from England, I'd forget, despite what others might say. Employers like to see a potential client face to face. Yes, there's youth unemployment here, but with the right attitude you might survive.
Ever thought of this part of the world? The Basque country is making serious links with Britain, trade-wise and is considered the culinary capital of Spain, deservedly so. You wouldn't need to speak Basque, unlike Catalan in Barcelona, in fact not a lot of Basque is spoken in Bilbao, more so in Donosti / San Sebastian.
Spanish people's level of English in general is not as good as we might have thought, bearing in mind tourism is the number 1 industry.
If you don't come, you'll only regret it later on.
As for Brexit, absolutely nobody knows, but my personal opinion is that not a lot will change initially.
I have heard similar things about the Basque Country, that it has one of the strongest economies in Spain! I will certainly look into it, not to mention Bilbao looks beautiful!
Old Aug 17th 2019, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeAnthony21
If I wanted advice on how to move to NZ/Aus/Canada I would have started a thread in that section thank you. I have no desire to live in any of those countries, I'd rather stay in the UK. I'm only interested in Spain, thanks.

And as many have pointed out already, there are lots of fields for Brits in Spain and currently as we are still in the EU, a specific skill is not necessarily needed under free movement, any communitarian worker can seek work like in their own country. Being bilingual is certainly sought after in Spain as the level of English is not very high.
So what can you do that a Spanish national cannot given the mass unemployment in Spain for your age group? Good luck and all that but you need to get real.
Old Aug 17th 2019, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

So what can you do that a Spanish national cannot given the mass unemployment in Spain for your age group? Good luck and all that but you need to get real.
Dear Bob, far from me the desire to argue with you, as life is too short and I have better things to do.
I would like to say only this: ok, you have discovered "nirvana" for you and your family. But that is YOURS, not necessarily everyone's.
Lee sounds to me intelligent, articulate and ready to give anything a go. University is not for everybody, some are learning their skills on the job, some like to be their own boss and start a business. So, dear Bob, remember how it was when you were young, optimistic and at the start of your life journey. Get yourself in that "place" and then post again.
In the meantime, enjoy your sunny day!
Old Aug 17th 2019, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Young Brit wanting to move to Spain before Brexit

Thanks so much for your tips and positivity el collado kid, I will certainly give it a lot of thought in the next few weeks but you have encouraged me!
lee you are more than welcome ,i thought i lost my chance of spain then all of a sudden i now live in spain for 4 years now, good fortune to you son
Old Aug 17th 2019, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by minouette
Dear Bob, far from me the desire to argue with you, as life is too short and I have better things to do.
I would like to say only this: ok, you have discovered "nirvana" for you and your family. But that is YOURS, not necessarily everyone's.
Lee sounds to me intelligent, articulate and ready to give anything a go. University is not for everybody, some are learning their skills on the job, some like to be their own boss and start a business. So, dear Bob, remember how it was when you were young, optimistic and at the start of your life journey. Get yourself in that "place" and then post again.
In the meantime, enjoy your sunny day!
hi minouette i total agree well done and thanks for your input
Old Aug 17th 2019, 2:13 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi from the France forum, where you'd encounter the same issues - high unemployment, risks with the Authorities if working on the black, difficulties renting without adequate income (justified by payslips), healthcare coverage from Day 1, requirement to register officially after 3 (?) months in the country, .... No one knows yet what will happen after Brexit. Teaching English was mentioned, but firstly you'd have to be "legal" (= be salaried or set up as an Autonomo) and even with your level of Spanish, you'd have to be employed a lot of hours in order not to have to dip into your savings. Fore-warned is fore-armed...
I would suggest getting a job lined up before you arrive in Spain, and ensuring that you've got a safety net back in the UK if everything goes pear-shaped. Which I hope won't happen for you.
Good luck with your venture, but do more research first!
Old Aug 19th 2019, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Good post dmu.

We live in an age where younger folk are told they cannot fail, you even get a medal for taking part these days, sadly this is not a reflection of real life. People need to be told the reality of situations and not pumped full false hope. If someone comes along with the 'high I'm fed up of the UK and want to move to Spain' then for crying out loud tell them the truth, warts and all.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Good post dmu.

We live in an age where younger folk are told they cannot fail, you even get a medal for taking part these days, sadly this is not a reflection of real life. People need to be told the reality of situations and not pumped full false hope. If someone comes along with the 'high I'm fed up of the UK and want to move to Spain' then for crying out loud tell them the truth, warts and all.
Very true and unfortunately it happens again and again. If somebody wants to move to the UK, people focus on every detail and make a difference between different areas, different towns and different streets. When it comes to Spain, it seems people focus on the country and Spain is always Spain. Apart from the weather, it would be more interesting to know what the OP is trying to find in Spain. If you're looking for Spanish culture, don't move here https://theblacksea.eu/blogs/we-hear...ess-of-madrid/.

Last edited by Moses2013; Aug 19th 2019 at 8:51 am.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Good post dmu.

hi what if my truth warts and all are different than yours and others ,what would you suggest to keep quiet, i think like you have said tell as it is, i have from experience for what i,ts worth from living in spain for four years,
Old Aug 19th 2019, 9:20 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid
hi what if my truth warts and all are different than yours and others ,what would you suggest to keep quiet, i think like you have said tell as it is, i have from experience for what i,ts worth from living in spain for four years,
I may be wrong, but I believe you're decades older than the OP, so your circumstances must be different, and your personal experience of living in Spain won't necessarily apply to a young newcomer wanting to work. My age and the fact of living in France aren't applicable either, but I've lived on the Continent long enough to give an overall view of what the OP can expect outside of what he's used to in the UK, and the "warts and all" reflect the nitty-gritty of living and hopefully working in a different country. So many things are different across the Channel and the OP must be aware of them and make an informed decision. As I already said, "fore-warned is fore-armed"...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.