Reload this Page >

Young Brit wanting to move to Spain before Brexit

Young Brit wanting to move to Spain before Brexit

Old Aug 19th 2019, 9:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Young Brit wanting to move to Spain before Brexit

Originally Posted by bob_bob
We're hoping our two grown children leave the UK, lock stock and barrel and head for NZ, they are professionals, have skills needed there and their future will be better than the UK can offer post Brexit....we'll pay all costs for the move...the wife and I would of course move to.
Just focussing on this only:

I live in New Zealand . Emigrated 15 years ago.
Your children and families may of course be able to emigrate to New Zealand under one of the visa policies. What is uncertain in your post is under what policy you might be able to emigrate to NZ yourselves.
It may be that you have the skills, quals and occupation to effect a move under your own steam but just in case you do not realise, the family parent category has been closed for a fair old while now with nothing on the current horizon that it wil re-open. There are parents of those who have emigrated who have been in limbo for a good couple of years now. If you have a substantial amount of money to invest , it may be different.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

My children will have no problem going, son is a network engineer and my daughter is a Charge Nurse. The wife and I are retired but have a good UK property portfolio so could finance our move and a business out there.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 10:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bob_bob
My children will have no problem going, son is a network engineer and my daughter is a Charge Nurse. The wife and I are retired but have a good UK property portfolio so could finance our move and a business out there.
Sounds like you have already investigated the investment visa criteria.
All the best.

Old Aug 23rd 2019, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

I have, there are several options open to us IF the children get off their asses and move. I'm in the process of reducing the size of our UK property portfolio so financing the move is not an issue.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeAnthony21
I have heard similar things about the Basque Country, that it has one of the strongest economies in Spain! I will certainly look into it, not to mention Bilbao looks beautiful!
I'm a little late to the conversation, but wanted to comment on this. You should know that the weather in the north of Spain is quite different from the rest of country. So if the UK weather is one of the things you are trying to escape, note that the weather in the north is more similar to the UK -- i.e. more cloudy and rainy. We do get our fair share of warm, sunny days in the north. But certainly not like in the south.

Personally, I was grateful for the cooler weather this summer. When the rest of Spain (and Europe) was suffering during those heat waves, we were relatively comfortable here in the north. And yet there were still plenty of days that it was warm enough to go to the beach!

- Eric S.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is, if you want to move to Spain while you can still take advantage of freedom of movement, why are you sitting in the UK with two months left to go, asking questions on a forum? Do you want people to tell you don't do it because you will fail? Do you want people to tell you go ahread it's easy? Nobody knows what your chances are because we don't know you, we don't know how resourceful and resilient and determined you are, and those things make a lot of difference.
If you don't find a job you will be heading back to the UK very shortly, a few thousand squid poorer. If you do find a job but you decide Spain isn't for you, you can always head back when you've had enough. But if you don't haul your ass over there very soon and give it your best shot, you may find you've lost your chance.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Young Brit wanting to move to Spain before Brexit

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
All I can say is, if you want to move to Spain while you can still take advantage of freedom of movement, why are you sitting in the UK with two months left to go, asking questions on a forum? Do you want people to tell you don't do it because you will fail? Do you want people to tell you go ahread it's easy? Nobody knows what your chances are because we don't know you, we don't know how resourceful and resilient and determined you are, and those things make a lot of difference.
If you don't find a job you will be heading back to the UK very shortly, a few thousand squid poorer. If you do find a job but you decide Spain isn't for you, you can always head back when you've had enough. But if you don't haul your ass over there very soon and give it your best shot, you may find you've lost your chance.
hi lee and eurotrash
This advice is in my opinion, is BANG ON,,, nothing ventured, nothing gained in life, how ever you asked for advice and you have received from this forum a broad spectrum of advice. all be it ,a lot from older people but as eurotrash says you have nothing to loose only gain. travel for young people is the best education ever.i wish the best of fortune in your Spanish adventure.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S
I'm a little late to the conversation, but wanted to comment on this. You should know that the weather in the north of Spain is quite different from the rest of country. So if the UK weather is one of the things you are trying to escape, note that the weather in the north is more similar to the UK -- i.e. more cloudy and rainy. We do get our fair share of warm, sunny days in the north. But certainly not like in the south.

Personally, I was grateful for the cooler weather this summer. When the rest of Spain (and Europe) was suffering during those heat waves, we were relatively comfortable here in the north. And yet there were still plenty of days that it was warm enough to go to the beach!

- Eric S.
never thought about that great advice which we all need.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Only one thing to say.

When you're older and reflecting on life you realise that most of any regrets you may have will be for the things you didn't do, not the things you did.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Only one thing to say.

When you're older and reflecting on life you realise that most of any regrets you may have will be for the things you didn't do, not the things you did.
Hi notdunroamim, are you a mind reader. there is the truth right there in a nut shell