Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you living the life you moved for?

Are you living the life you moved for?

Old Mar 25th 2011, 4:34 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you living the life you moved for?

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain
but one thing I have learned is to keep my options open. I am sure that in a couple of years I'll be dreaming of the idyllic life in a Spanish village with a sunny terrace and lemon trees and to be honest, in this life we all need a dream to keep us going - bizarrely, at the moment my dream is to be in London!
Couple of years? I have friends who went back and emailed me after two weeks and said it's like they never left.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Effectively 4 courses...do you mean the 8 cents pot of yougurt for pudding, the lettuce leaf and two slices of tomato for starter.

I think the weather is a major factor for people who move although you hear them quoting the culture, fiestas etc. If so they would move to the North where there are more concerts, exhibitions etc.
If that's all you get for starters and pudding....you must live in Marbella.

Here I often just have the starter and a coffee rather than the full menu, I've a good appetite but just can't manage to eat the full meal.

As for culture, there is plenty of it in Andalucia, you just need to look at the Spanish publications to see that there is far more going on than even retired people have the time for.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain
Have been reading all the posts here with interest but thought I'd go back to the OP to add my comments. As others will know, I'm currently in the process of planning and researching my move back to London after 8.5 years in Barcelona. I've brought up many negatives of life here and this proves that one persons heaven is another's hell. However, I too came here with great anticipation and excitement, not least because we bought a run down flat and had the enjoyment of the project for a couple of years and in many ways lived outside reality for a time. I was 40 when we moved here so knew I'd have several years work ahead but had sufficient savings for a while. Much of my complaining has been towards the very bad working conditions here and the cash in hand lifestyle that many Spaniards live. Even though my dad is Spanish I hadn't realised about these aspects prior to living here. Many posters on here are retired or work from home and live in Expat enclaves or the rural areas. Living in a big city like Barcelona is no different to any other but due to my family connections this is where we chose. I also live in an area of high immigration (non-European) so for me it's pretty much like London, the Spanish community is dying out which is very sad. If we had moved to another part of Spain or to a village I am sure i would have had another view of things and despite all my negative comments I still love Spain but I am not in love with it as I was when I first moved. Living here has re-kindled my desire to get back with my old flame, London! I am worried that things may not work out but one thing I have learned is to keep my options open. I am sure that in a couple of years I'll be dreaming of the idyllic life in a Spanish village with a sunny terrace and lemon trees and to be honest, in this life we all need a dream to keep us going - bizarrely, at the moment my dream is to be in London!
Sadly the work conditions you describe are all too common and many Spanish have to life that way, including members of my own family.

I can't begin to imagine what life in a city is like, I'm a country girl and always have been, a day trip to Malaga perhaps once a year is all I can stand!

I hope that things work out well for you in your move, and that some day you realise that dream of a sunny terrace surrounded by Lemon trees.....I can recommend it!
Meanwhile don't let that dream die, as you said we all need a dream to hold onto, it's what kept us going in the forty odd years of our working lives!

Good luck!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:22 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
If that's all you get for starters and pudding....you must live in Marbella.

Here I often just have the starter and a coffee rather than the full menu, I've a good appetite but just can't manage to eat the full meal.
Never had a good one in 15 years of living in Spain and that includes everywhere I have been in Spain. Not talking about quantity, quality too! Had adequate ones that's all. I don't doubt there are some decent ones but they are few and far between.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:39 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a good one in 15 years of living in Spain and that includes everywhere I have been in Spain. Not talking about quantity, quality too! Had adequate ones that's all. I don't doubt there are some decent ones but they are few and far between.
Depends on your definition of what is quality, and what is adequate. Round here the food is definitely campo, no Michelin cordon bleu, but tasty and filling.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:54 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Depends on your definition of what is quality, and what is adequate. Round here the food is definitely campo, no Michelin cordon bleu, but tasty and filling.
One of the reasons I like a big city like Madrid. Plenty of places that give big portions in their menus; indeed there are tapas bars that give big portions free with your drink. At the other end of the scale there are lots of higher quality eating places. The following link gives its idea of the 40 best restaurants in Madrid based on input to the 11870 website

http://www.jesusencinar.com/2011/03/...-11870com.html

For instance, if you feel like fish/seafood then perhaps this place would be suitable:

http://11870.com/pro/opazo
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:56 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Why does this remind me of the guy who said "You can get a perfectly acceptable wine for 40 pounds......" ?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
what is adequate. Round here the food is definitely campo,
That usually means a few lettuce leaves drowning in vile vinegar, the ringpiece of an unidentifiable origin and rice or 6 chips, followed by flan which in reality is not a flan but a watery apology of a creme caramel.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
That usually means a few lettuce leaves drowning in vile vinegar, the ringpiece of an unidentifiable origin and rice or 6 chips, followed by flan which in reality is not a flan but a watery apology of a creme caramel.
You guys just dont know where to go, or live in a horrible area
Old Mar 26th 2011, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

You must be going to the wrong places, or perhaps you like the paint pictures on your plate kind of place.....?
You won't find that sort of thing around here, just good well cooked food and plenty of it at a sensible price.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:26 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, excuse me, could that be what I think you are trying to describe????
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:29 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Just come back from Cullera where we had a lovely menu del dia. I had a large mixed salad, fresh tuna, potatoes and red pepper followed by homemade cheesecake. OH had asparagus and jamon, fresh tuna etc and coffee (he is not allowed sweets). In other places we have paid as much for his asparagus and jamon as we did for the whole meal today.

Rosemary
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Why does this remind me of the guy who said "You can get a perfectly acceptable wine for 40 pounds......" ?
Some people only feel they're getting quality goods if they pay a small fortune..

Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Just come back from Cullera where we had a lovely menu del dia. I had a large mixed salad, fresh tuna, potatoes and red pepper followed by homemade cheesecake. OH had asparagus and jamon, fresh tuna etc and coffee (he is not allowed sweets). In other places we have paid as much for his asparagus and jamon as we did for the whole meal today.

Rosemary
Just might take a ride down there next week, what is the name of the restaurant?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:57 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Just might take a ride down there next week, what is the name of the restaurant?
Casa de Ramon, choice of at least five 1st plate and five second plates but please try the tuna it is superb.

Rosemary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.