British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Are you living the life you moved for? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/you-living-life-you-moved-710389/)

bil Mar 27th 2011 4:46 pm

Re: Are you living the life you moved for?

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9267676)
Horrific, another "quaint" tradition:thumbdown: If I ever go out fishing with family I can't bare to see a fish caught, I go away when the lines go off:(

It's also a very efficient way of catching them.

So are you a vegetarian then?

cricketman Mar 27th 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9267676)
Horrific, another "quaint" tradition:thumbdown: If I ever go out fishing with family I can't bare to see a fish caught, I go away when the lines go off:(

It's called providing for your family. As human beings we need to eat food. Catching tuna during the migration is no worse than anything else. Maybe you should go on a tour of a modern battery farm?

And I guess what you ate was "Tortillitas de camerones" which is very traditional in Cádiz province. As long as they are fresh from the oil these are delicious.

I just get the feeling you dont know what you are talking about jackytoo, so you'd rather dismiss what you dont know as rubbish?

bil Mar 27th 2011 4:53 pm

If you eat battery chicken, you can't complain about cruelty elsewhere.

goaty Mar 27th 2011 5:13 pm

Little trick they do in some places is serve you panga instead of mero. Panga being much cheaper, hope you can tell the difference.:thumbup:

bil Mar 27th 2011 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by goaty (Post 9267737)
Little trick they do in some places is serve you panga instead of mero. Panga being much cheaper, hope you can tell the difference.:thumbup:

To me, mero is like haddock or sea bass, a good quality, firm white fish.

If panga is so similar that it can be confused with mero, I'd be surprised as I've seen negative comments about its texture and taste. Mero is pretty good.

jackytoo Mar 27th 2011 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 9267690)
It's called providing for your family. As human beings we need to eat food. Catching tuna during the migration is no worse than anything else. Maybe you should go on a tour of a modern battery farm?

And I guess what you ate was "Tortillitas de camerones" which is very traditional in Cádiz province. As long as they are fresh from the oil these are delicious.

I just get the feeling you dont know what you are talking about jackytoo, so you'd rather dismiss what you dont know as rubbish?

Not what it said on the menu but seeing as you are the fountain of knowledge on all things spanish I shall take your word for it. Wasn't saying they were rubbish, quite nice...bet you have eaten loads in your extensive travels:rofl:

cricketman Mar 27th 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9267778)
...bet you have eaten loads in your extensive travels:rofl:

Only within Málaga and Cádiz provinces jackytoo, because that is the point, Spanish food is very varied depending on what part of the country you are in.

What you will eat in say Oviedo, San Sebastian, Barcelona and Málaga will be completely different types of cuisine.

I once heard on TV from a Spanish chef that the only dish that the whole of Spain shares is the tortilla de patata.

goaty Mar 27th 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267766)

If panga is so similar that it can be confused with mero, I'd be surprised as I've seen negative comments about its texture and taste. Mero is pretty good.

Yes mero is very nice, and although panga has a bad rep, it can be ok. However, I've heard from more than one source that some establishments have tried to deceive customers, despite the population around these parts being knowledgeable on all things fish.

Rosemary Mar 27th 2011 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9267766)

In this area they call emperador mero. So confusing.

Rosemary

jimenato Mar 27th 2011 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9267279)
Believe me what the Spanish have has no relation to Brake Bros. They even sell cottage pies, lasagne etc in individual pottery dishes, ready cooked just microwave and serve. This allows the premises, mainly pubs to serve up grub apparently home made.
Chips and potato products have been frozen and used in eating establishments in Spain and Uk for years.

Graham

Many of the bars and ventas around here serve delivered frozen and pre-prepared foods.

Even some of our customers are suggesting that we should be serving stuffed croquettes, albondigas, deep fried Camembert and the like bought from the frozen food van as served in the bars and ventas.

There is also a local tapa producer who supplies many of the local bars with their trays of Ensalada Rusa, Carne con tomate and all the other standard tapas. (I often wondered how so many bars managed to sell identical tapas.)

I've nothing against it - the quality is OK - but we won't do it. Everything we serve (with the exception of Cumberland sausages and puddings) is home made from basic ingredients.

agoreira Mar 27th 2011 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9267838)
In this area they call emperador mero. So confusing.
Rosemary

I was always under the impression the emperador was often confused with swordfish (pez de espada), not heard it called mero, but with fish in Spain, anything is possible. I have eaten pez de espada in Andalucía and emperador in Valencia region, and to me, it's much the same fish. :unsure:

La única especie existente de pez espada es el Xiphias gladius. Sin embargo, es frecuente confundir al pez espada con el emperador (Lavurus imperialis) porque en algunas regiones el pez espada también es conocido y se comercializa con este nombre.

Rosemary Mar 27th 2011 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 9267867)
Many of the bars and ventas around here serve delivered frozen and pre-prepared foods.

Even some of our customers are suggesting that we should be serving stuffed croquettes, albondigas, deep fried Camembert and the like bought from the frozen food van as served in the bars and ventas.

There is also a local tapa producer who supplies many of the local bars with their trays of Ensalad Russa, Carne con tomate and all the other standard tapas. (I often wondered how so many bars managed to sell identical tapas.)

I've nothing against it - the quality is OK - but we won't do it. Everything we serve (with the exception of Cumberland sausages and puddings) is home made from basic ingredients.

Good for you. I will not eat in a place that serves up "ready food". We much prefer to find restaurants that cook everything fresh or prepare their own in advance. One restaurant that we have gone to a lot since arriving in Spain has just changed hands and we noticed the difference right away and will not be going there again. The person who used to do the cooking made sure that everything was to a good standard but the new owners seem to be taking short cuts. In the past it was a very popular restaurant but less so now.

Rosemary

VFR Mar 27th 2011 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by johnnyone (Post 9267205)
I used have had plenty of menu del dias. They are generally adequate but no more, but mainly do represent value for money. Perfectly ok for everday grub but nothing to write home about and very rarely restaurant quality.
I now tend to have them less often working on the theory one good course is better than four average ones.
I also think there is a bit of rose tinted glasses about good Spanish food. I have more trouble finding a good restaurant to a poor one.
And don't believe there is not a Spanish version of Brake Bros. Most of the bars and many of the restaurants rely on frozen or pre-prepared food. eg you don't often get freshly cut potatoes anymore including most patatas bravas I have had.
And I know a freshly cut chip when I see one as the wife still cuts her own.

That about sums it up IMO Johnny & is a bloody good summary of the vast bulk of M.D.Dia's ;)

jackytoo Mar 27th 2011 6:59 pm

I know of one chiringuito who makes all his own tapas, he was a neighbour of mine. The problem is he carries all the leftovers onto the next day:eek: I know this because a friend worked for him.

betris Mar 27th 2011 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9267956)
I know of one chiringuito who makes all his own tapas, he was a neighbour of mine. The problem is he carries all the leftovers onto the next day:eek: I know this because a friend worked for him.

well you do the same dont you.if you cant eat all of your supper you save it untill the next day