Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you living the life you moved for?

Are you living the life you moved for?

Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you living the life you moved for?

Originally Posted by The Oddities
In this area they call emperador mero. So confusing.
Rosemary
I was always under the impression the emperador was often confused with swordfish (pez de espada), not heard it called mero, but with fish in Spain, anything is possible. I have eaten pez de espada in Andalucía and emperador in Valencia region, and to me, it's much the same fish.

La única especie existente de pez espada es el Xiphias gladius. Sin embargo, es frecuente confundir al pez espada con el emperador (Lavurus imperialis) porque en algunas regiones el pez espada también es conocido y se comercializa con este nombre.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Many of the bars and ventas around here serve delivered frozen and pre-prepared foods.

Even some of our customers are suggesting that we should be serving stuffed croquettes, albondigas, deep fried Camembert and the like bought from the frozen food van as served in the bars and ventas.

There is also a local tapa producer who supplies many of the local bars with their trays of Ensalad Russa, Carne con tomate and all the other standard tapas. (I often wondered how so many bars managed to sell identical tapas.)

I've nothing against it - the quality is OK - but we won't do it. Everything we serve (with the exception of Cumberland sausages and puddings) is home made from basic ingredients.
Good for you. I will not eat in a place that serves up "ready food". We much prefer to find restaurants that cook everything fresh or prepare their own in advance. One restaurant that we have gone to a lot since arriving in Spain has just changed hands and we noticed the difference right away and will not be going there again. The person who used to do the cooking made sure that everything was to a good standard but the new owners seem to be taking short cuts. In the past it was a very popular restaurant but less so now.

Rosemary
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:18 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I used have had plenty of menu del dias. They are generally adequate but no more, but mainly do represent value for money. Perfectly ok for everday grub but nothing to write home about and very rarely restaurant quality.
I now tend to have them less often working on the theory one good course is better than four average ones.
I also think there is a bit of rose tinted glasses about good Spanish food. I have more trouble finding a good restaurant to a poor one.
And don't believe there is not a Spanish version of Brake Bros. Most of the bars and many of the restaurants rely on frozen or pre-prepared food. eg you don't often get freshly cut potatoes anymore including most patatas bravas I have had.
And I know a freshly cut chip when I see one as the wife still cuts her own.
That about sums it up IMO Johnny & is a bloody good summary of the vast bulk of M.D.Dia's
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:59 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I know of one chiringuito who makes all his own tapas, he was a neighbour of mine. The problem is he carries all the leftovers onto the next day I know this because a friend worked for him.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 7:37 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I know of one chiringuito who makes all his own tapas, he was a neighbour of mine. The problem is he carries all the leftovers onto the next day I know this because a friend worked for him.
well you do the same dont you.if you cant eat all of your supper you save it untill the next day