Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you living the life you moved for?

Are you living the life you moved for?

Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you living the life you moved for?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Cádiz is renowned for its tuna fishing, there is a certain time every year when the wild tuna come through the straights and half the male population go to catch them, it is a tradition.
The almadraba.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:11 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

truth be known maney people came for different reasons,to escape.to try and rekindle love.look at me im the dogs bollocs.the dream.sun.so no mater what you think you have got are you happy(.true aswers ony)
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Casa de Califa? Well, if you choose that as your benchmark, then you are going to be disappointed on a regular basis.

The food there is superb, and it is probably the best for miles around, but menu del dia? At the Califa? That is a hotel, and quite a serious one. We only go there to celebrate, when we have a bit of cash, or a visitor wants to treat us in return for staying with us!
Nice hotel, we have stayed there twice. Much as I like Spanish food, we normally eat their "North African" type cuisine when we are there. A nice change, a bit different from the usual run of the mill Spanish menu. Can't say that the hotel or it's food struck me as particularly expensive, it's value for money. Can't be too pricey if we stayed there!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:34 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira

Horrific, another "quaint" tradition If I ever go out fishing with family I can't bare to see a fish caught, I go away when the lines go off
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:45 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Nice hotel, we have stayed there twice. Much as I like Spanish food, we normally eat their "North African" type cuisine when we are there. A nice change, a bit different from the usual run of the mill Spanish menu. Can't say that the hotel or it's food struck me as particularly expensive, it's value for money. Can't be too pricey if we stayed there!
It's good value, but it is also one of the more expensive places around. The two facts are linked, 'm sure.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:46 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Horrific, another "quaint" tradition If I ever go out fishing with family I can't bare to see a fish caught, I go away when the lines go off
It's also a very efficient way of catching them.

So are you a vegetarian then?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

It's called providing for your family. As human beings we need to eat food. Catching tuna during the migration is no worse than anything else. Maybe you should go on a tour of a modern battery farm?

And I guess what you ate was "Tortillitas de camerones" which is very traditional in Cádiz province. As long as they are fresh from the oil these are delicious.

I just get the feeling you dont know what you are talking about jackytoo, so you'd rather dismiss what you dont know as rubbish?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:53 pm
bil
Banned

If you eat battery chicken, you can't complain about cruelty elsewhere.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Little trick they do in some places is serve you panga instead of mero. Panga being much cheaper, hope you can tell the difference.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:19 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by goaty
Little trick they do in some places is serve you panga instead of mero. Panga being much cheaper, hope you can tell the difference.
To me, mero is like haddock or sea bass, a good quality, firm white fish.

If panga is so similar that it can be confused with mero, I'd be surprised as I've seen negative comments about its texture and taste. Mero is pretty good.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:22 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
It's called providing for your family. As human beings we need to eat food. Catching tuna during the migration is no worse than anything else. Maybe you should go on a tour of a modern battery farm?

And I guess what you ate was "Tortillitas de camerones" which is very traditional in Cádiz province. As long as they are fresh from the oil these are delicious.

I just get the feeling you dont know what you are talking about jackytoo, so you'd rather dismiss what you dont know as rubbish?
Not what it said on the menu but seeing as you are the fountain of knowledge on all things spanish I shall take your word for it. Wasn't saying they were rubbish, quite nice...bet you have eaten loads in your extensive travels
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

...bet you have eaten loads in your extensive travels
Only within Málaga and Cádiz provinces jackytoo, because that is the point, Spanish food is very varied depending on what part of the country you are in.

What you will eat in say Oviedo, San Sebastian, Barcelona and Málaga will be completely different types of cuisine.

I once heard on TV from a Spanish chef that the only dish that the whole of Spain shares is the tortilla de patata.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bil

If panga is so similar that it can be confused with mero, I'd be surprised as I've seen negative comments about its texture and taste. Mero is pretty good.
Yes mero is very nice, and although panga has a bad rep, it can be ok. However, I've heard from more than one source that some establishments have tried to deceive customers, despite the population around these parts being knowledgeable on all things fish.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

In this area they call emperador mero. So confusing.

Rosemary
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:07 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Believe me what the Spanish have has no relation to Brake Bros. They even sell cottage pies, lasagne etc in individual pottery dishes, ready cooked just microwave and serve. This allows the premises, mainly pubs to serve up grub apparently home made.
Chips and potato products have been frozen and used in eating establishments in Spain and Uk for years.

Graham
Many of the bars and ventas around here serve delivered frozen and pre-prepared foods.

Even some of our customers are suggesting that we should be serving stuffed croquettes, albondigas, deep fried Camembert and the like bought from the frozen food van as served in the bars and ventas.

There is also a local tapa producer who supplies many of the local bars with their trays of Ensalada Rusa, Carne con tomate and all the other standard tapas. (I often wondered how so many bars managed to sell identical tapas.)

I've nothing against it - the quality is OK - but we won't do it. Everything we serve (with the exception of Cumberland sausages and puddings) is home made from basic ingredients.

Last edited by jimenato; Mar 27th 2011 at 6:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.