Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are You Going To Vote?

Are You Going To Vote?

Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Going To Vote?

Those who are on the padrón and have asked to vote are the only ones who will be able to. So, if you don't know - you probably can't vote (and probably don't want to).
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Are You Going To Vote?

Originally Posted by Lenox
Those who are on the padrón and have asked to vote are the only ones who will be able to. So, if you don't know - you probably can't vote (and probably don't want to).
I have posted elsewhere that it is still just possible to register and urged everyone who can to do so.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:22 am
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

As said and implied above, if we don't exercise our right to vote then why should the town hall consider us ?

John and Kathy "No Taxation Without Representation" hahahahahah

As a taxpayer in UK (I have a government pension) but no right to vote in UK.
When I have tried to enlist the help of a UK MP I am told, I MUST speak to my UK MP !

Last edited by JulianWard; Mar 29th 2011 at 7:26 am.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody sent me a Guardian article:
'Most Brits in Spain say no gracias to integration'
'While some expats are getting involved in Spanish politics, a lot still fall into the stereotypes of reclusive retirees or boozed-up ravers'.
Silly paper!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

wait up:
Someone sent me this:

FOREIGN residents wishing to vote in Spain's municipal elections on May 22 have another week to register themselves on the electoral census.
The Spanish Institute of National Statistics (INE) has confirmed that residents will be able to apply to vote between Monday 4 and Monday 11 April.
Residents interested in voting must have already registered with their local town hall and have been inscribed on the padrón, the municipal register, before January 31 2011.
Those on the municipal register who have not yet applied for the vote must fill out a 'Reclamacion al censo' form at their local town hall and present it with original and current photographic identification.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulianWard
As said and implied above, if we don't exercise our right to vote then why should the town hall consider us ?

John and Kathy "No Taxation Without Representation" hahahahahah

As a taxpayer in UK (I have a government pension) but no right to vote in UK.
When I have tried to enlist the help of a UK MP I am told, I MUST speak to my UK MP !
You have up to 15 years from first becoming resident elsewhere to exercise your right to vote in UK national elections. There is currently a high court action to lift the 15 year limit quite rightly most of us pensioners end up paying some UK tax and those in Aus and NZ etc suffer from non index linking of State Pensions. It behoves us all to take up this option and press for the time limit to be lifted.

PS mrs John does not like the extention to Kathy Kath will do nicely thank you.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Mar 29th 2011 at 12:22 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I have posted elsewhere that it is still just possible to register and urged everyone who can to do so.
wait up:
Someone sent me this:

FOREIGN residents wishing to vote in Spain's municipal elections on May 22 have another week to register themselves on the electoral census.
The Spanish Institute of National Statistics (INE) has confirmed that residents will be able to apply to vote between Monday 4 and Monday 11 April.
Residents interested in voting must have already registered with their local town hall and have been inscribed on the padrón, the municipal register, before January 31 2011.
Those on the municipal register who have not yet applied for the vote must fill out a 'Reclamacion al censo' form at their local town hall and present it with original and current photographic identification.
Thats exactly the post I was refering to and I would urge everyone who can to take the trouble and it will be trouble to do it and vote!!!!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:28 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

John & Kath (sorry the misspelling was unintentional)

I am surprised you said most people end up paying some tax in the UK. Most are not liable to UK tax. Government employee pensions and UK property rentals, are about the only things I can think of, are there others?
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised you said most people end up paying some tax in the UK. Most are not liable to UK tax. Government employee pensions and UK property rentals, are about the only things I can think of, are there others?
There are probably many like me. I receive state pension and a company pension
together they are above the personal allowance limit so I am taxed on part of my company pension. I contacted the tax office but was told that is how it works so now I have to ensure that I am not taxed in Spain as well.

Graham
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Oddities
There are probably many like me. I receive state pension and a company pension
together they are above the personal allowance limit so I am taxed on part of my company pension. I contacted the tax office but was told that is how it works so now I have to ensure that I am not taxed in Spain as well.

Graham
I don't wish to be argumentative but if you live in Spain, in the circumstances you describe, you are taxable in Spain and not in UK.

If you pay in UK you are still liable to pay in Spain. You cannot choose where you pay. The rules are clear.

To avoid double taxation inform your tax office in UK that you are resident in Spain. They will send you a form which you take to the Hacienda, they send it back to UK and hey presto, no tax in UK.

Only government employee pension ( army officers, police officers etc) and income from letting property in UK are taxable there. OAP, private pensions etc taxable in Spain.

I pay tax on my Government employee pension at source in UK. I declare my State Retirement Pension, interest on savings in UK, Spain and off shore, all in Spain. Even if these do not exceed the allowance they still must be declared, in Spain.

(Sorry to have gone off thread but I wanted everyone to know where they stand)

Last edited by JulianWard; Mar 29th 2011 at 4:28 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes and you would be suprised how many people from the public sector retire to Spain it is so advantageous they would be daft not to. Or better still Cyprus.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't wish to be argumentative but if you live in Spain, in the circumstances you describe, you are taxable in Spain and not in UK.UK tax office will not acknowledge that fact.

If you pay in UK you are still liable to pay in Spain. You cannot choose where you pay. The rules are clear.

To avoid double taxation inform your tax office in UK that you are resident in Spain. They will send you a form which you take to the Hacienda, they send it back to UK and hey presto, no tax in UK. Been there done that, but still UK tax office will not listen.

Only government employee pension ( army officers, police officers etc) and income from letting property in UK are taxable there. OAP, private pensions etc taxable in Spain.

I pay tax on my Government employee pension at source in UK. I declare my State Retirement Pension, interest on savings in UK, Spain and off shore, all in Spain. Even if these do not exceed the allowance they still must be declared, in Spain.

(Sorry to have gone off thread but I wanted everyone to know where they stand)
Our lives are in Spain so we have always completed all of the relevant paperwork regarding living here. Registered for taxation in Spain. All OK until this year when the UK tax office decided to mess it all up.

Graham
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Our lives are in Spain so we have always completed all of the relevant paperwork regarding living here. Registered for taxation in Spain. All OK until this year when the UK tax office decided to mess it all up.

Graham
I stand to be corrected, but I am sure the UK tax man is wrong and you need to pursue it.

As I said, tax paid in UK does not negate your liability here in Spain. Thus it appears you will be paying double taxation.

I believe Mitzyboy has addressed this elsewhere so maybe he will give us his advice.
Good luck
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

During working hours of course.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 6:43 pm

I stand to be corrected, but I am sure the UK tax man is wrong and you need to pursue it.

As I said, tax paid in UK does not negate your liability here in Spain. Thus it appears you will be paying double taxation.

I believe Mitzyboy has addressed this elsewhere so maybe he will give us his advice.
Good luck
All started when OH had his state pension and asked for the paperwork for his health care to be sent to him. Some idiot put two E´s in one of his names and then we started getting loads of tax forms with the "new" name on it. We plug and plug away with it but you know what they are like.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.