Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Originally Posted by entrepinos
My wife works in the local hospital in Sheffield and tells me that the NHS has to supply translators for the non english speakers when they come in for their appointments.
As we are still learning the language, does this facility also exist in Spain if we encounter a problem?
Yes a translator service does exist via a three way phone call.
I'm sorry I can't give you the number here or tell you if there is a charge, but posters have been placed in our local health centre giving all the relevant information.....
We are quite a distance from expat land, so if we get the service it should be available there too!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:37 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

As a logical response to a very high demand, Torrevieja council has built a new, state of the art hospital, and a large health clinic to cater mostly for expats, a fabulous, self financing service. Unfortunately, despite their best efforts, proper English speaking doctors and consultants are still few and far between.

The services may be free to expats that qualify, which is most of them, but they need proper interpreters to use the facilities, and those interpreters are not cheap. They’ve tried the three-way phone service but found it didn’t work.

If you are unfortunate enough to have to make regular use of the facilities and need an expensive interpreter each time, it will cost you as much as private medical insurance which includes the free provision of a properly qualified interpreter.

Learning Spanish helps, but you need to be highly proficient to understand complicated medical terms.

‘Tengo dolor’ and pointing to your heart will not be enough.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elle1971
I too am glad they're clamping down. I paid my taxes in Blighty... and I pay them now in Spain. I've never claimed wrongly, and don't approve of others doing so.

Elle xx
Hear,hear.

Why should the tax paying public subsidise the lifestyle of fraudsters whether they be benefit cheats or tax evaders?

Every pound cheated out of the public purse must effect the quality of services available elsewhere.

In my local pub, there are a number of self employed guys who are openly proud of how little tax they pay, yet constantly complain about the lack of and cost of public services etc. being provided.

The bigger the clampdown the better whether that be in the UK, Spain or wherever.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

If there were signs in alternative languages in UK hospitals, it would be far more likely that they would be in Urdu rather than in Arabic - I'm sure the Arab population of the UK is far smaller than the Pakistani/Bangladeshi community.

If you're going to make such ridiculous claims, at least understand what you are talking about and what languages various communities actually speak!

I've had reason to spend a lot of time in Bolton Royal Hospital (as a visitor not a patient thankfully) - Bolton has a large Asian population but there are certainly no signs in languages other than English there.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:11 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
If there were signs in alternative languages in UK hospitals, it would be far more likely that they would be in Urdu rather than in Arabic - I'm sure the Arab population of the UK is far smaller than the Pakistani/Bangladeshi community.

As I said, sometimes Daily Wail readers believe what they are told.... regardless of how ridiculous it may sound.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:17 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of interpreters at the Costa del Sol hospital for all languages. They are not paid, just volunteers. I know some who do it. I think La Cala health centre has a voluntary scheme too.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
There are a lot of interpreters at the Costa del Sol hospital for all languages. They are not paid, just volunteers. I know some who do it. I think La Cala health centre has a voluntary scheme too.
Most of the ones around here do too, as stated previously there is a phone system you can use too.
Although you may be fairly good at Spanish sometimes the doctors need to be sure you understand the treatment so they get the interpreter in regardless.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lynn R

If you're going to make such ridiculous claims, at least understand what you are talking about and what languages various communities actually speak!

I've had reason to spend a lot of time in Bolton Royal Hospital (as a visitor not a patient thankfully) - Bolton has a large Asian population but there are certainly no signs in languages other than English there.
Both Urdu and Arabic speakers use the same script but different languages so it would, in truth, be quite difficult for a Brit to know which was which.

There are over half a million Arabic speakers living in the London area and more than two million of Pakistani ancestry in the UK.

Could you, hand on heart, tell the difference between an Urdu and an Arabic notice I know I couldn't. Do any of the NHS trusts put up non English signs? I wouldn't be surprised by anything some of them do. So how did the O.P. rattle so many cages?

P.S. I noticed that a number of NHS Trusts claim to provide notices in foreign languages to their patients.

Jim

Last edited by Bigger Jim; Dec 30th 2010 at 1:46 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:20 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Lynn R

Just put me down as a liar wiil ya, eh?

This is one thing I just love doing and lieing about.... I find it an amazing pastime.

You know what, some of you on here are absolute F...ing Ar"·e H··les

You can't have a conversation without trying be one up on everyone, there's a great name for you, know alls who know nowt and cant accept what decent folk say at face value. .

I have seen these signs with my own eyes by the way.

This is hearsay though, when I pointed out all the signs that I took to be Arabic, (definately not English), to a friend, I was told that they get take away foods brought in due to their religion too. A reminder Hearsay this last bit

Last edited by anonimouse; Dec 30th 2010 at 5:41 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:37 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of points, it is quite correct to say that the difference between Urdu and arabic script is so small as for the average person to be unable to tell the difference.

Secondly, I had a most interesting private mail sent me by someone in the know. I'd said that I'd like to see the difference between the amount of benefits wrongly claimed, and the legitimate benefits that are unclaimed.

Apparantly the unclaimed does indeed far outweigh the wrongfully claimed.

No great surprise there.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:12 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Unit for unit electricity has been more expensive in Spain over the last few years.
But I bet you need to use far more in the Uk than in Spain¿ In winter it's light here until 6pm for a start.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:31 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
But I bet you need to use far more in the Uk than in Spain¿ In winter it's light here until 6pm for a start.
Isn't that swings and roundabouts though? In the summer in the Uk it can stay light until 10pm.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:35 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Isn't that swings and roundabouts though? In the summer in the Uk it can stay light until 10pm.
Not that I've seen lights being used less in Spain, but often in the UK it's gloomy even in mid-summer if a lot of cloud is in the sky.

Of course the other argument is that air-con is needed more in the Spanish summer.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
and still need the heating on

Naaa... IMO it's far cheaper to run my house in Spain than any of my other houses ever were.

The most expensive utility bill I get in Spain is the Internet, that is scandalous but even with this it 's nowhere near close to UK bills. I simply couldn't afford to live in the Uk unless I was claiming it all.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HBG
Learning Spanish helps, but you need to be highly proficient to understand complicated medical terms.‘Tengo dolor’ and pointing to your heart will not be enough.

Of course it will ...........how do you think people with speech impediments/unconscious/accident etc etc get on ? ............ the person would get hooked up to a machine which would provide the info

Nobody who is genuinely ill should worry about getting treatment/care in a Spanish hospital.

Last edited by whitelinen; Dec 30th 2010 at 5:42 pm. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.