British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/you-benefit-fraud-living-spain-698293/)

Elle1971 Dec 28th 2010 3:09 pm

Re: Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

I too am glad they're clamping down. I paid my taxes in Blighty... and I pay them now in Spain. I've never claimed wrongly, and don't approve of others doing so.

Elle xx

anonimouse Dec 28th 2010 3:27 pm

It couldn't be easier

https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/

Mitzyboy Dec 28th 2010 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 9063497)
Having made several trips to A&E and other NHS hospital departments this year with a family member I have never seen anyone being asked to produce proof that they were entitled to healthcare and were treated.

For emergency treatment I can probably imagine. However for doctors its a little more difficult I can assure you. You have to register with them and theres a lot of information and detail that has to be given over including NI number etc.

Originally Posted by entrepinos (Post 9063932)
My wife works in the local hospital in Sheffield and tells me that the NHS has to supply translators for the non english speakers when they come in for their appointments.
As we are still learning the language, does this facility also exist in Spain if we encounter a problem?

Yes it does. I have been to a hospital in Alicante where a translator was provided. I dont really see a problem with UK hospitals providing tranlators. Even someone who can speak a little English can have a problem getting over the details of an illness to a doctor

anonimouse Dec 28th 2010 3:57 pm

Most of the Uk Hospitals also have all the direction signs in the corridors in Arabic too:)

mikelincs Dec 28th 2010 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS (Post 9062763)
yes it would annoy me if claimants were living in Spain and my tax is keeping them.
In saying this I dont find Spain in these days cheap to live , In fact I find it cheaper in UK
Clothes , shoes food all less expensive I find Spain a rip off for Brits:D

When I lived in Spain we lost all benefits, but I did know of many people who kept an address in the UK, so they could keep claiming such things as Disability benefit, child benefit etc, They didn't have property in the UK, just used a relative's address.

whitelinen Dec 28th 2010 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9064026)
For emergency treatment I can probably imagine. However for doctors its a little more difficult I can assure you. You have to register with them and theres a lot of information and detail that has to be given over including NI number etc.

Yes it does. I have been to a hospital in Alicante where a translator was provided. I dont really see a problem with UK hospitals providing tranlators. Even someone who can speak a little English can have a problem getting over the details of an illness to a doctor

I am not sure if the health number is the same as the NI number? but in any case the person registering at a doctors can say he is waiting for said number/cant remember it and/or ask for temporary visitors registration, all will work AFAIK.

As for translators automatically provided in Spain my experience has been the opposite at different hospitals in Valencia and unless the law has been repealed the law stated that any doctor only speak in Valenciano or Castellano with the onus being on the foreign patient to provide their own translator.

I have noticed several new posters appearing at our medical centre basically stating no SIPs card, no treatment.

JnK Dec 28th 2010 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Elle1971 (Post 9063961)
I too am glad they're clamping down. I paid my taxes in Blighty... and I pay them now in Spain. I've never claimed wrongly, and don't approve of others doing so.

Elle xx

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Lionda Dec 28th 2010 5:27 pm

We knew a couple who were getting £2,500 every month (may have been more) in benefits and they even had a Spanish mortgage on the strength of it :blink: she supposedly had MS ... but was very sprightly ... and he seemed ok apart from being very overweight. They did, however, visit England every so often 'visiting relatives' Mmmm I wonder :unsure:

bil Dec 28th 2010 5:37 pm

I seem to remember there's a special 'grass' phone line for the VAT.

Perhaps they could have another for this so that anyone who fancies themselves as a grass can phone it in.

agoreira Dec 28th 2010 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9064042)
Most of the Uk Hospitals also have all the direction signs in the corridors in Arabic too:)

They do? have you been in most of them, or is just hearsay? I've been in quite a few, and have yet to see any Arabic signs. I'm sure there are some, in areas with a lot of Arab inhabitants, but "most of UK" sounds like a typical expat exaggeration.

rugbymatt Dec 28th 2010 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9064276)
They do? have you been in most of them, or is just hearsay? I've been in quite a few, and have yet any see any Arabic signs. I'm sure there are some, in areas with a lot of Arab inhabitants, but "most of UK" sounds like a typical expat exaggeration.

The Daily Wail is quite good at letting people know these things.

bobd22 Dec 28th 2010 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 9063303)
This is great news, I wonder how many will get caught in reality and if they do I wonder how many will leave Spain? Personally I thing benefit fraud is despicable, the bankers et all will always do what they will, when normal people screw hard working folk out of taxes like benefit slime then it somehow feels more hurtful. I hope this ends quite a few freeloading holidays and lets hope the gov be brave and stop any payments at all. Scum, the lot of them.

With you there

bil Dec 28th 2010 8:46 pm

I suppose it all depends where you place the blame. I'd be fascinated to compare figures if I could be arsed.

I understand that a lot of legitimate benefit isn't claimed, so it would be interesting to know if the total amount claimed was less or more than if there was no benefit fraud, but 100% legit benefit takeup.

Then it would be nice to see the total amount dishonestly fiddled by MPs each year.

Finally we could maybe see the financial damage done by reckless and grasping bankers and their pestilential ilk.

moving shortly Dec 28th 2010 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9064476)
I suppose it all depends where you place the blame. I'd be fascinated to compare figures if I could be arsed.

I understand that a lot of legitimate benefit isn't claimed, so it would be interesting to know if the total amount claimed was less or more than if there was no benefit fraud, but 100% legit benefit takeup.

Then it would be nice to see the total amount dishonestly fiddled by MPs each year.

Finally we could maybe see the financial damage done by reckless and grasping bankers and their pestilential ilk.

I couldnt agree more with what quite alot of people on this site have written. Only 1% is lost in fraud! Millions go unclaimed by families, the elderly and disabled. It appears that this new government has decided to purge the most vunerable in society instead of purging the real offenders which are the banks. Its much easier to bully the vunerable. I wonder if the television or the newspapers will show the banking boys swigging the champagne when they receive their large bonuses this year, I doubt it very much. I believe that the champagne swilling is just part of a normal week anyway.

bil Dec 28th 2010 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by moving shortly (Post 9064611)
I couldnt agree more with what quite alot of people on this site have written. Only 1% is lost in fraud! Millions go unclaimed by families, the elderly and disabled. It appears that this new government has decided to purge the most vunerable in society instead of purging the real offenders which are the banks. Its much easier to bully the vunerable. I wonder if the television or the newspapers will show the banking boys swigging the champagne when they receive their large bonuses this year, I doubt it very much. I believe that the champagne swilling is just part of a normal week anyway.

And to boot, it costs shedloads to stop a comparatively small amount.

I loved when they talked about making child benefit means tested. The whole reason it was universal was that it was cheaper like that as it cost more to means test it.