Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:42 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

We all have our moral code be it right or wrong. If I saw a tenner in the street I would pick it up, end of. Now if you see someone drop it that is a different matter. I was once given 20 euro too much in change at a shop in Mirimar complex. I handed it back, not because I cared about the large chain that ran the shop but I thought about the assistant being 20 down at the end.

Last year my OH was talking close to a Solbank cash card. There was notes still in the cashmachine. He took them out as no-one around (200 euros). He was not sure wether to take them into the bank or wait. He waited, 5 minutes after a woman looking stressed out came along. He asked her if she had lost something and she said the amount. When he handed it over she snatched it and treat him as if he were a thief!

Back to the benefits, I think because the system is so lax (for some) it encourages people to think differently. When people read all about the fraudsters or actually know someone doing it they think what the heck and do it themselves. The MP's also did it because they could.

TBH if I were just thinking of moving to Spain I would be looking at what I could get. A couple of hundred quid a month is always useful
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:44 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Last year my OH was talking close to a Solbank cash card. There was notes still in the cashmachine. He took them out as no-one around (200 euros). He was not sure wether to take them into the bank or wait. He waited, 5 minutes after a woman looking stressed out came along. He asked her if she had lost something and she said the amount. When he handed it over she snatched it and treat him as if he were a thief!
)
How remakably ill mannered.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:46 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Get real. 18 equals half that for good behaviour, then there will be extra concessions for the religious conversion and the crocodile tears.

I'd see him do 5 years minimum. He was a lying, cheating scumbag in a position of high trust, and he knowingly broke the rules, soft tho they were and open to abuse. Even in those slack reins he couldn't walk straight.

People like him disgust me.
They disgust me too and I am glad he is going to prison. I too wish it was for the full eighteen months.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:48 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
They disgust me too and I am glad he is going to prison. I too wish it was for the full eighteen months.
I'm just amazed that so many of them have got away with it unpunished.

Amazed, depressed and disgusted
Old Jan 7th 2011, 6:03 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
We all have our moral code be it right or wrong. If I saw a tenner in the street I would pick it up, end of. Now if you see someone drop it that is a different matter. I was once given 20 euro too much in change at a shop in Mirimar complex. I handed it back, not because I cared about the large chain that ran the shop but I thought about the assistant being 20 down at the end.

Back to the benefits, I think because the system is so lax (for some) it encourages people to think differently. When people read all about the fraudsters or actually know someone doing it they think what the heck and do it themselves. The MP's also did it because they could.

TBH if I were just thinking of moving to Spain I would be looking at what I could get. A couple of hundred quid a month is always useful
You have summed up my sentiments exactly in the first part of the post.

Now if you want to get a few hundred a month to live in Spain. Easy peasy, just stuff your face till you become too fat to work, and then claim for all the extras, like the 60 stone blob has done. Then you could sue the national health service, for allowing it to happen, can you believe that?????
Old Jan 7th 2011, 6:09 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by JLFS
You have summed up my sentiments exactly in the first part of the post.

Now if you want to get a few hundred a month to live in Spain. Easy peasy, just stuff your face till you become too fat to work, and then claim for all the extras, like the 60 stone blob has done. Then you could sue the national health service, for allowing it to happen, can you believe that?????
Yeah, but would you want his life?
Old Jan 7th 2011, 7:15 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah, but would you want his life?
not at all bil, I would be horrified if I had not seen or used my tackle for years. He cant even find his.

Old Jan 7th 2011, 7:37 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

A difficult one for an upstanding, honest person, but the truth should prevail. As your size increases because of bad eating habits and an unhealthy lifestyle, it’s not just your belly that gets bigger, it’s spread right around your body. Right around. You might not be able to see all of it, but those parts will be bigger too.

It’s common sense. (With a degree of optimism).
Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:46 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
A difficult one for an upstanding, honest person, but the truth should prevail. As your size increases because of bad eating habits and an unhealthy lifestyle, it’s not just your belly that gets bigger, it’s spread right around your body. Right around. You might not be able to see all of it, but those parts will be bigger too.

If you think your tackle will enlarge in line with the rest of your body, be prepared for disappointment. First off, the old beef bayonet doesn't have the same capacity for lard storage that the rest of the body exhibits. Secondly, high body weight messes with your hormones and can cause shrinkage.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I am the sort of person who will give back the money if someone makes a mistake and gives me change for twenty euros instead of ten. Also by nature I am very much a 'rules' person, I will keep to the rules and in fact one of the reasons I sometimes get frustrated about living in Spain is that no-one seems to know what the rules are.
I'm much the same myself!
Many years ago in England £5 was deposited in my bank account that didn't belong to me, I told them it wasn't mine but they insisted it was....I still feel guilty about it all these years later because I know it wasn't mine!

When we bought our house here in Spain one of the first things that our solicitor said to us was....did we want to do black money....it's illegal but we can do it. We were quite shocked at him asking this question and we quickly declined.

I know there is fraud and corruption in both countries, the big difference is that in the UK it's covered up more, here in Spain it's paraded openly and worn like a badge....something to be proud of.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG

Originally Posted by bil
If you think your tackle will enlarge in line with the rest of your body, be prepared for disappointment. First off, the old beef bayonet doesn't have the same capacity for lard storage that the rest of the body exhibits. Secondly, high body weight messes with your hormones and can cause shrinkage.
I will leave you boys to verbally slug this disagreement about size, between yourselves. I will however provide you with some picture evidence to help you with your debate,

I would advise that people of a nervous disposition, do not read any further

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ight-gain.html
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:22 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by JLFS
I will leave you boys to verbally slug this disagreement about size, between yourselves. I will however provide you with some picture evidence to help you with your debate,

I would advise that people of a nervous disposition, do not read any further

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ight-gain.html
There has to come a point when you take responsibility for yourself. Everyone has a right to be a bit stupid, to eat to much, but at what weight does it become a piss take? 70 stone? We basically need new words. Morbidly obese doesn't even come come close, and then sueing the NHS because they didn't stop him eating? What are they supposed to do?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:52 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I'm much the same myself!
Many years ago in England £5 was deposited in my bank account that didn't belong to me, I told them it wasn't mine but they insisted it was....I still feel guilty about it all these years later because I know it wasn't mine!

This happened to me last year. £25 appeared in our Co-op Bank from Lloyds TSB. Now we have accounts with both these banks, but this was nothing to do with us and no money had been taken from my LTSB account. I told both banks. Co-op said to tell the TSB, it was nothing to do with them, even though I insisted this was not my money. LTSB said 'it's a payment to a Co-op Credit Card'. I said 'I don't have a Co-op credit card and anyway, the money has not come from MY LTSB account'.

So in effect, the money was taken from someone's LTSB account to pay their Credit Card at the Co-op, but was credited to my Co-op bank account instead.

Nine months later the money is still there, but I don't feel guilty as I have told both banks about it and insisted to the Co-op that it was not my money, they said there is nothing they can do.

Both banks thanked me for being so honest, but....the money is still there in my account.