Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:53 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Hmmmm naaa it doesn't,... pity though, for a minute I thought I had a good idea.

Thank you anyway
Oh, sorry it didn't help!

What was your good idea, may I ask?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I know some people who have NO income (living on savings), and a lawyer told them they would have to register as self-employed and pay the 240 euros (or whatever it is) to get healthcare.

They could not afford it so are not covered for healthcare.
I dont know if there is limit to how much savings you can have to be covered for free.

The people at the Mijas healthcentre told me there is free healthcare if you cannot afford it - and this is confirmed by a number of articles I have read. When I get the chance I will dig them out
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:01 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, I suppose there could be a capital limit, never thought of that.

However, I don't think most expats know about this free healthcare. We are always told that unless you pay in, or are a Pensioner, or on Incapacity benefit, then you are not covered.

I have been covered all the time since my husband is on IB and I was classed as his dependent; now I am a State Pensioner I am covered in my own right.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat

However, I don't think most expats know about this free healthcare. We are always told that unless you pay in, or are a Pensioner, or on Incapacity benefit, then you are not covered.
Yes it is something they most definitely DO NOT publicise

The situation is very complex and there are due to be some law changes this year to make the system much simpler

Even the mayor of the community of Madrid - Esperanza Aguirre was caught out by saying that many people still didnt have the right to healthcare. It made the news that she didnt know the laws
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haydngj
From some of the comments on here I think too many of you believe the daily mail and the mps. In my opinion this and the so called news papers are pushing the benefit thing to hide what is going on with the banks and the expenses claimed by the already well heeled.We should be trying to put and end to their gravy train. How many ministers do we have now?All getting extra payment for what? I thought they were all supposed to be involved. Does anyone know how many we had in 1946 when the task was a lot more difficult then I'm sure.I bet its a hell of of a lot less.
It's always been the same. The government (especially IMO Conservative governments, whip up hysteria, usually aimed at some minority group to hide their more disgraceful acts. Last time I was on benefits in the 80s (reason already stated here) it was single parents who were the 'target'.
Of course there was the Westlands affair in the late 70s early 80s where the diversionary target were hippies peacefully gathering for a pop festival in the middle of nowhere where there happened to be a few ancient stones.
There will always be a large proportion of gullible people. This is why propaganda works.
A couple of the regulars here put "always question authority" as their tag line. I agree. That doesn't mean go against authority. It means ask questions, be well informed. Think and do the right thing based on good judgement of the facts. Those who don't are just sheep.
I don't care how you vote as long as you really know why, And I like the 'heated discussions' on here between people who never stop learning.

There are a few people on this forum who are disabled/incapacitated and have moved here to lengthen and improve their quality of life. I don't know anyone who given that choice would say."You know what...never mind, I'll die early in the cold and wet" Actually those people would cost our health service over there far more than they will cost the Spanish health service due to better climate and diet, as well as the fact that most are at least part funded from their own savings.
Good luck to all of them.
That's my rant for the day I think!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:32 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
It's always been the same. The government (especially IMO Conservative governments, whip up hysteria, usually aimed at some minority group to hide their more disgraceful acts.!
Riiiiight..... because Labour never did anything so despicable....
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:38 am
Just Joined

haydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant future

The maximum numbers of paid ministerial posts are currently set by the Ministerial and Other Salaries Act 1975 Schedule I, part V1:
Position
Max no. (paid)
a) Cabinet Ministers excluding the Lord Chancellor1
b) Cabinet Ministers in total
c) Any other Ministers heading government departments or office holders listed in group 1 of the Act who are not members of the Cabinet plus Ministers of State
d) Ministers from group a) and c) plus Parliamentary Secretaries excluding Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury
(e) Ministers in total2
(f) Law Officers
(g) Whips3
Totals
1 The Lord Chancellor’s salary is paid by virtue of the Ministerial and Other Pensions and Salaries Act 1991, s.3
2 i.e. group (d) plus the Lord Chancellor
3 Additional Whips could in theory be appointed under other categories
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:46 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
All governments like to keep people disliking other minority groups, because they then obsess about that and fail to observe what the government is doing.

Labour has done some shite, no doubt, but nothing quite so blatantly descriminatory as that anti gay section 28? or whatever it was.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:00 am
Just Joined

haydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant futurehaydngj has a brilliant future

The gravy train has 649 passengers plus the staff they employ to do their work for them. Benefit fraud?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:07 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
All governments like to keep people disliking other minority groups, because they then obsess about that and fail to observe what the government is doing.

Labour has done some shite, no doubt, but nothing quite so blatantly descriminatory as that anti gay section 28? or whatever it was.
Come on mate, they are all as bad as each other, thankfully they are a little bit more transparent now and we might get some progress.

What amazes me is how people are so quick to attack politicians and their salaries yet leave the likes of Charity CEO's and Union bosses, if you want to be shocked look up the Tax Payers Alliance website.... pretty shocking results, some Union bosses and a couple of quite major Charity CEO's are getting more than the Prime Minister...
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haydngj
The maximum numbers of paid ministerial posts are currently set by the Ministerial and Other Salaries Act 1975 Schedule I, part V1:
Position
Max no. (paid)
a) Cabinet Ministers excluding the Lord Chancellor1
b) Cabinet Ministers in total
c) Any other Ministers heading government departments or office holders listed in group 1 of the Act who are not members of the Cabinet plus Ministers of State
d) Ministers from group a) and c) plus Parliamentary Secretaries excluding Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury
(e) Ministers in total2
(f) Law Officers
(g) Whips3
Totals
1 The Lord Chancellor’s salary is paid by virtue of the Ministerial and Other Pensions and Salaries Act 1991, s.3
2 i.e. group (d) plus the Lord Chancellor
3 Additional Whips could in theory be appointed under other categories
All so interesting, but how does that answer the question...
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:17 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by agoreira
All so interesting,
Define interesting.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Why that question?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cricketman
I dont know if there is limit to how much savings you can have to be covered for free.

The people at the Mijas healthcentre told me there is free healthcare if you cannot afford it - and this is confirmed by a number of articles I have read. When I get the chance I will dig them out
There´s no capital limit - its simply based on household income (with allowance made for dependants). Here´s link to law which introduced it over 20 years ago;

http://www.mtin.es/es/Guia/leyes/RD108889.html

Article 1 is the relevant bit.

Although the law only refers to Spanish nationals, the Govt introduced legislation a few years ago guaranteeing equal access to all residents in respect of access to health care
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
No I'm certainly not saying that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.